HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:05 PM
AVLISOGEID
Venezuela, Lara, Barquisimeto
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
Discussion
Homemade "rectangular" flying wing, flies great,lightweight,easy to build.watch video

...i started for making a very nice and super-light wing for something like a funfly 3d plane with with my homemade hot wire foam cutter, then i was messing around and found a youtube channel where a guy was flying a rectangular tailless glyder, so i decided to try a similar design with my wing adding a motor.
the plane that resulted was an incredible lightweight and very rare flying wing. i call it "el aleman" (the German) due to the German channel that inspired me. i made a 45 min continuous flight with a single 1000 3s lipo battery using the motor to reach altitude and then turning it off to stay gliding. incredible!.

technical details:

2812 BRUSHLESS motor
1000MAH LIPO 3S
SPEKTRUM RADIO SYSTEM
9GR SERVOS
400GR FLYING WEIGHT
96CM WINGSPAN
MADE FROM A REGULAR FOAM BLOCK(used for school projects)
COVERED WITH ADHESIVE PLASTIC FILM

please let's share your opinion and information about something like this plane. thanks

here is the video as promised:

Very rare rectangular flying wing!, German style rc plane. flies like a bird. great glider too (4 min 30 sec)

FUNNY NOTE: i listed my plane in a local selling website and the people did not believe this thing could fly!, i will show them a video as a flying proof.
Diego silva/ avlisogeid from Venezuela
avlisogeid is offline Find More Posts by avlisogeid
Last edited by avlisogeid; Jun 22, 2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: :-)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
Smashin Foam like a vandal
USA, SC, Blacksburg
Joined Jun 2010
32 Posts
Sweet lookin' bird there

Looks like it flies pretty well!!
does it have rudder control or just elevons?
sjuapseorn is offline Find More Posts by sjuapseorn
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
AVLISOGEID
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuapseorn View Post
Sweet lookin' bird there

Looks like it flies pretty well!!
does it have rudder control or just elevons?
thanks!. it doesn't use rudder, just elevons. this rare plane is so easy to fly but can be fast when you want. thanks for your opinion my friend.
Last edited by avlisogeid; Jun 23, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:31 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
HI
I love the plane !
Did you end up with the CG at about 10%??
I'd like tyo add it to my list of planes to build !
Any plan coming??
onlyifamppowered is offline Find More Posts by onlyifamppowered
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
AVLISOGEID
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyifamppowered View Post
HI
I love the plane !
Did you end up with the CG at about 10%??
I'd like tyo add it to my list of planes to build !
Any plan coming??
Hi. the CG is at 20% for an easy flying experience, you could try 25% for a more aggressive performance, 10% is not good in my ipinion. . I'm almost mechanical engineer :-) so i make all my planes with a lot of calculations(area,density of the materials used,cg, etc). in few days i could post the plans, very simple. let's be in touch. thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
This design is frequently referred to as a "plank", and it's not particularly rare per se.

That being said, yours looks great and congratulations on your successful design!

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
AVLISOGEID
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZiplok View Post
This design is frequently referred to as a "plank", and it's not particularly rare per se.

That being said, yours looks great and congratulations on your successful design!

= Mike
Thanks for your good information Mike, It's very appreciated. i was searching on the web for plank design and there is no much information, i found some pics and videos. thanks friend. Diego from Venezuela
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
HI
20% wow
I have built planks before and found the fly with a much more forward CG then that, must be a great design !
Thanks for the offer to post some sort of plan, looks simple enough that a fairly crude drawing will be heaps.
great design
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:51 AM
AVLISOGEID
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
thanks friend, is good receiving opinions from somebody that has built planks before, i just used some numbers to use cg at 20%, works fine. I'm preparing those simple plans, i used a very easy building method. I'll take your idea of a crude drawing to show as simple as possible. thanks again.
Diego from Venezuela
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:08 AM
Washington
Joined Aug 2009
141 Posts
Nice lookin plane! I concur about CG position. I recently test flew my twin VPP planker with CG at 20% (good for first flight) and since moved aft to about 23% -- for a 2 or 3% static margin. Flies great.

It's really not a big deal having an aft CG because when doing aerobatics and the flow starts to separate from the upper surface of the wing, the center of pressure shifts more aft naturally to stabilize the aircraft. It becomes more difficult to trim the aircraft for straight and level ... but it's R/C so why the heck would you want to fly straight and level!?!?
Illini_Rob is offline Find More Posts by Illini_Rob
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:20 PM
AVLISOGEID
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
very good information my friend, I'll be thinking about that for my next rc plane. your flying wing is nice!, interesting model. have you posted some video on youtube?, i would like to watch it flying!. thanks. have a good weekend!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:14 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlisogeid View Post
very good information my friend, I'll be thinking about that for my next rc plane. your flying wing is nice!, interesting model. have you posted some video on youtube?, i would like to watch it flying!. thanks. have a good weekend!
Have seen Rob's 'Plank' fly - video is a poor substitute for that experience! Possibly even better - he's put together a phenominal model that's easy to replicate. Structurally, it's very elegant, with little by way of specialty materials or techniques. The VP props and motors come as a unit from Tower Hobbies - how easy can you get? - and the radio is a regular programmable set.

'Plank' is on its own pinnacle - but the OP's tailless is a neat idea. It's a layout I've got a little time in with - there's a thread somewhere hereabouts concerning the electrocution of the 'Little Bit', which made me smile some.

With a little fiddling, this layout can fly about as well as a regular model, but without building those irritating tailplane things

You do have to pay attention to the CG, with deference to Rob. I heard of a guy in England who flew a 'Bubbles' tailless - check out the old RCM magazine plans listings - with the CG at 33% MAC and got it back down in one piece. Not bad, considering I designed the Bubbles to fly with a 16% MAC CG.

And then there's the legions of Bill Evans' 'Simitar' tailless, which were designed to be almost impossible to stall. Not some folks' idea of fun, but appealing to others, Simitars are widely well regarded designs.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,699 Posts
Here's one from 1972.

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1317
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:54 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
HI
I just love the simplicity of wings of any kinds and planks are as easy as you can get.
Mine have all flow nicely.
I use foam and brown paper to make them cheap.
With the cheap goodies available from hobbyking, they make a cheap hobby !
I have a 50cc model but often just fly my wings !
Long live the cheap wing !

Rob
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
Washington
Joined Aug 2009
141 Posts
@avlisogeid:
Here's a video at http://www.youtube.com/user/IlliniRob1
This flight was with only a 2-cell pack -- I have three 3-cell packs coming in the mail so it should improve the capability a bit. It can do just about everything a regular 3D plane can -- as well as a few unique maneuvers.

Unfortunately, they are discontinuing the V-Pitch motor/prop combos. I imagine I will still be able to get similar products from Horizon and smaller outfits.

@Dereck:
33%!? I can understand how he got back to the ground in one piece, but he must have had fast little thumbs as well.
It makes a lot of sense to push back close to 25% if your goal is good aerobatic capability. Beyond that you really need true artificial stability to reap the benefits. A standard hobby-grade gyro can provide some pitch damping, but I imagine applying it would be quite problematic in terms of changing the gain with airspeed and will never create true stabiliy.
I'll let you know the next time I'm out to the field with the new, bigger batteries. Model Aviation magazine is interested in printing a construction article, but I'm getting really busy with classes and the job hunt. (which is going well by the way -- 4 solid leads right now, including my old sailboat outfit that wants me back)

Rob
Illini_Rob is offline Find More Posts by Illini_Rob