Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:41 PM
foo
Monroe, Louisiana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
323 Posts
That is what I came up with.Each tile was off by a 1/4`' one way or another.Thank you now I can start.
foo is offline Find More Posts by foo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:07 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
3d, heli and foo:
We were talking today about doing a symetrical (airfoilz) type wing. It will be fun to see what works. May have to try one with KF also...........Thinking about using the headsup 450 sport for power...any thoughts? Dart
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:27 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
PLD, Thanks for the scale/tile job.I was thinking about the KFm3 airfoil,too. Also thinking about a "cage" of c/f or bamboo skewers behind the wing inside, for a bit more stiffness around the tail section. This 40 incher is gonna be cool, but I'll have to build it first, get a weight, then decide on gear.(I'm leaning toward the setups for Motorhead's 42" Edge. Should be pretty close)
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:17 AM
foo
Monroe, Louisiana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
323 Posts
I tried some KF setups,topof the wing,bottom ,and both sides on a design I buit the flew losy.It surprized me that it was 100% better.Nite.
foo is offline Find More Posts by foo
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:42 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
I built my 40" lil ripper today. Im a little off on the weight guess... Thing is light! I think the AUW is going to be more like 15-18oz than 18-22oz but we'll see once the gear is here. Unfortunately I dont have a motor or ESC to put in it yet until my package arrives from hobbyking. I built as much as I can for now. I'll try to get some picts up tomorrow.

Scaling the plans up went fine. I got burned in one place since I didn't anticipate the size difference. On the very back of the plane, the rudder slips into a slot where the side fuse overhangs. The top and bottom fuse pieces are supposed to taper to the same width as the foam. I didn't realize this until I went to put the rudder on. So there is maybe a 1/16th to 1/8th gap between the rudder/side fuse. Does that make sense? I ended up just using more glue to bridge the gap and kind of pressed the sides in to touch. I think its going to be fine. Doesn't look like a problem at all.

Right now before any gear is on, when I drop the plane, it floats like a leaf! Definitely a lot of wing area for the weight. Once the motor, servos and ESC is in, I doubt it'll be quite so floaty, but Im predicting wing loading of lower than my leadfeather yak.

I braced the wing using 2 dowels glued together to make a 1/4" x 1/4" dowel. Gluing 2 together is much stronger than 1 alone. The bending along the glued axis is virtually zero. I am a bit concerned however with wing twist. If you hold the plane by the wingtips, there is noticeable twist in the wing. I might have to do some chord bracing also. I opted against the KFM wing temporarily. I figure I'll see how it does with the flat wing so I have a basis for comparison. Its pretty easy to add a KFM strip after the fact.

3Dmon, nice job on the plans! Im impressed at the detail considering there are what 5 parts to cut out haha. If this big build doesn't turn out as well as planned, I think I'll have to build the 31"er you designed. I like the look, feel and design in general. Nice job!
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:02 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Ripper Uglius Maximus!

O.K., Here's my Ripper! I'm (obviously) no painter/artiste, but I got in such a hurry to get it out once I hit some flying weather that I got sloppy on my masks, and got a lot of bleed-over. Oh,well, I still consider it successful in that this is only the second time I've used actual PAINT, and the first time I melted the foam like some sick, flesh-eating virus. At least it flys great, and I can see it in the air. The white front-deck piece was a repair I haven't painted yet.Love this plane.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:15 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
Cool Helivs fmx. Look forward to hearing how it flies for ya.

EZglider, Nothing wrong with that. I like the black and yellow, it should be easy to see in the air.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:55 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Here's some picts. I tried to take a picture directly above with my 32" leadfeather yak on top for a size comparison. It didn't exactly give the effect I was hoping for... The lil ripper is noticeably bigger. Not huge, but I think a good size for outdoor flying.

I haven't decided if I'll paint this one or not. I used hot glue to put this together so there is hotglue coming out of some of the seams. It isn't the prettiest build Ive done... I may build another down the road using a square dowel in the corners without tabs to hold this together. Then I can sand the corners round and it will look cleaner because there wont be any visible joints. Normally I build cheapest and lightest which is how I went with this (notice the wooden spars for cheapness).

Im excited for my motor to come! I need a plane more capable of 10-15mph winds badly!
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:43 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Very Nice. Is that FFF/Bluecor? Looks like it worked well. What motor/esc combo are you going to use?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:10 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Thanks EZglider. Yep its all FFF. I have 10 sheets left of the first bundle I ever bought about 2 years ago haha. $35 dollars of FFF goes a LONG way! It did turn out pretty decent. I wish I had a way to laser cut of had a wire of some sort. Cutting by hand is difficult to get a perfect 90 degree angle and a perfect square fuse. Its pretty close, but some parts are slightly off. Tabs are normally where you see the imperfections. I may do a very light sanding so its all smooth but hot glue is a nightmare to finish. Great for speed and price of build, but sucks to get a nice finish.

I bought two motors in my last order. I was initially buying them for my F-18 at the time. These are the 2 i bought:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5112
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=4321

The F-18 should fly well on the higher kv motor to get some more speed. It doesn't like slow flying much... so I'll probably put the 180watt motor in this plane. I think it should be a perfect fit, but we'll see. I bought a HK SS 25-30amp ESC for that motor. Its overkill but oh well it was cheap. I think I'll start with a 9x5 prop and see how it goes. May need the 1047prop but that at full throttle will draw a little more than the motor is rated for if using 3S. so i'll play with that when I get the plane up. Normally I use the minimum prop to get the job done so my flights are longer.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
That came out good helivsfmx!

Does the wing seem strong enough with the wood dowel?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:28 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
well, it could be stronger... I think it will be fine vertical flex wise, but you can twist the wing quite a bit. ive always wanted to break the wings off a plane pulling up hard in a dive.... Maybe this will be it! haha does that make me weird that I want to see that? I just think it would be cool to fly the wings off a plane.

Anyone actually done that?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
well, it could be stronger... I think it will be fine vertical flex wise, but you can twist the wing quite a bit. ive always wanted to break the wings off a plane pulling up hard in a dive.... Maybe this will be it! haha does that make me weird that I want to see that? I just think it would be cool to fly the wings off a plane.

Did it to a PZ Corsair that I re-powered witha Heads-up 480. Don't recommend it but it was pretty spectacular at the time. Has new wing, cowl and motor mount and C.F. rods in the new wing!!!
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Jan 01, 2011, 04:03 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post

Unfortunately I just did that today with my big gasser Yak I designed. I thought I would do a full throttle wall. I did not expect to see the wings fold up lol. The fuse I designed but the wings came from my old Extreme Flight 74" Yak.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 04:25 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Ouch! You must have had that thing screamin' into the wall. Did it just fold up immediately?Part of me cringes, part of me wishes I was there!