40" sounds about right for me.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:42 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
man if only i found this thread a month or so ago .. I woudl have got some flyingin before windy WX took over.
so have to add to fun builds list .
LOL
i went way more full fuse on my bird. LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:56 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Im thinking 40" sounds good too. Actually, I would like it to be in the 16-20oz region, but thats much harder to target. I think 40" will get there. The reason I want it heavier and bigger is because of the wind I always have. I never realized that Phoenix had a constant 5-10mph wind at any given point of the day until I started flying. My 32" yak is good up to about 8mph but then it gets a bit weak and tossed around. So Im hoping a 40" at 16-20oz will be good to 15mph or so. That will greatly increase my times for flying.

Am I totally off base here? This is what Ive been assuming all along, but I may be wrong.
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:53 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
If I was to blow the parts up on word to a 40" wingspan plan, could someone tile it for me? Im thinking either I can do that or I guess go to a kinkos or something for a bigger printer...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:08 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Woohoo!!!

Today was the first day since I finished my Ripper that i hit a combination of weather,wind,and daylight after work to maiden it. Big Fun! This little plane flies really sweet. Put a couple of 500 mah 3s packs thru, just cruising around, testing out cg. Nothing 3D or fancy (used low rates), but some loops and rolls that were tight and easy! Rolls pretty much axial. Can't wait to get more familiar with it and start getting a bit crazy. Thanks again, Shaun for the neat design! My paint job is pretty embarrassing, but I'll try to post a pic or 2. No video capability,tho.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
helivsFMX,
There's a free program available here on RCG called Scale and Tile (do a search). It'll allow you to scale a pdf up or down to your desired percentage, then tile it for you. Check it out, but I believe Shaun is gonna hook us up with the bigger plans soon. He's really helpful with his plans and planes, an example of why I hang around this place!
Prime 8, if you're talking about your Foamboard Extra, That is a sweet piece of work! Really nice job.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:16 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
EZglider, Im trying to find scale and tile, but no luck. can you post a link or something?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ry#post8648486
I forgot, Bill Segraves (the designer) does ask if you can, for a donation to Rotary Club, which he supports in a big way.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:23 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
Here's the 6mm version blown up to 40" W.S. I did for a F.B. You may have to check the notch sizes depending on the material you use. You will be the first to use these so please let us know how it goes.
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:27 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,411 Posts
Thanks poweredlawndart.
Seeing how this has been posted I will probably take my time on getting the 40" WS with the correct tab and slots out. So far it seemed like there was only 2 of you guys interested in it and one of you didn't seem to want to wait lol.

EZglider, Thanks for the comments. I'm glad your enjoying the Lil'Ripper. I wanna see pics.

Prime8, Your lil' extra came out nice. Good stuff man!
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
My FB likes to build and fly a little bigger airplane (bad hands and worse eyesight. I told him to copy your color scheme! I'm trying to find time to build your original. Great design!
Thanks for your work and putting it out there for guys like us to enjoy....Dart
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:38 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
3Dmon, HAHAHA Im assuming that "didn't want to wait" remark was aimed at me right haha. Sorry if I came across pushy, but there is a good reason... Im off work this week for christmas, and my wife actually has to work, so I have some free time to build. Well as you know the week is nearly over, and today I can't really spend any time on the plane. So that leaves me with essentially tomorrow (friday) to build the whole plane. I have 2 motors coming from HK right now too, so I want something to put them in. I was going to build an F-15 but I think I'll pass. I built jetset44's F-18 last and love it, but it needs more speed. hence the new motor for that. So I also have a 200watt 1000kv motor with 30amp ESC coming that will fly this scaled up version quite nicely. So thats my hurry. again sorry if I came across as being pushy.

I did however get to start a bit on the plans last night. I have tile and print free version which prints vertical lines in your tiled job so you cant really use it. So what I did is set the scale to 40", then each print preview page of the tiled design, I print screened and pasted into Paint. Then from paint I copied the actual plans (not the screen boarder), then pasted that in word and set to 8.5x11. So the scaling is all good. I cut out the wing, v and h stabs and was going to do the fuse today. Problem is the fuse got a bit cut off in the poor print preview tiling. So now that poweredlawndart posted his plans, I'll use those for the fuse. Thanks for posting them!

Anyway so thats my story. Hopefully I'll have it built by tomorrow night but we'll see.

Oh BTW the only mods I plan on making to the plans is to make a symmetrical KF wing. Im making this out of FFF, so I'll just put an extra layer on the top and bottom of the wing so its a little nicer in the wind. Hopefully it all works out and flies well. Sounds like the original design is awesome and it looks it from your vids. I just hope my changes dont butcher it...

Thanks for the help and support guys!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:51 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,411 Posts
No problem helivsfmx. Yeah I was directing that comment to you but it was all in fun. Please let us know how the 40" performs for ya.
I do plan to scale it up and make all the tabs and slots line up right but it will have to be at a later time.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
foo
Monroe, Louisiana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
323 Posts
3dmon what is the chord at the center of the wing on the litter ripper ,my printer is off on being accurte it seems.I can key on the measurment.Thank you.
foo is offline Find More Posts by foo
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:12 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
3dmon what is the chord at the center of the wing on the litter ripper ,my printer is off on being accurte it seems.I can key on the measurment.Thank you.
9.600" That is just a little morethan 9 1/2"

Hope that helps.