SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:41 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I gotta agree, this is the sharpest looking 3D'er I've seen around. Very nice work,Shaun. I'm getting drawn back to build one. Started a while back, but it got back-burnered. The more I look, the more I wanna finish it.If I can just stop lusting after you're Yak 54!
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:00 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
The most amazing in that plane is that it looks so good with such a minimum of pieces .

The more I fly it the more I enjoy it .

I corrected my thrust angle and pointed it a bit downward; It's flying much better . I can now hoover 4 secondes instead of two .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:52 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
Thanks EZglider! Get that thing built man, you wont regret it.

Jpette, I'm glad you liking it more and more. I figured a little bit of down thrust would help ya. Hey you doubled your hover time LOL. Practice practice.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:08 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Ya know, I did a bit more work on cutting the Ripper build I'd started. Now I remember why! My cutting skills just aren't what I'd like them to be, and stuff just doesn't look acceptable to me. I'd really like to do a neat,clean plane, cause I like the looks of your design so much. Guess I'll stick to my profiles till Christmas. I'm sure the wife,kids,somebody will ask what I want."Well, this guy named Shaun has a cool looking kit for sale.............."
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:44 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Ya know, I did a bit more work on cutting the Ripper build I'd started. Now I remember why! My cutting skills just aren't what I'd like them to be, and stuff just doesn't look acceptable to me. I'd really like to do a neat,clean plane, cause I like the looks of your design so much. Guess I'll stick to my profiles till Christmas. I'm sure the wife,kids,somebody will ask what I want."Well, this guy named Shaun has a cool looking kit for sale.............."
Yeah that's the nice advantage to having the cnc cutting them out. You know they are cut right.
I'll be sure to set one aside with your name on it.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:58 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
O.K., I just couldn't wait! Hauled the pieces back out and re-cut a few, and it's together! Well, kind-of. It's glued & hinged at least. Gonna try my hand at a basic,no frills paint job, then mount my electronics.Hope to maiden it Sunday if the wind isn't too bad. AUW looks like it'll be 10.5-11 oz.Using a Grayson Hobby/Welgard 1450 w/ 8x4 prop and 3s 500 mah battery. Gonna start out about 25% for low rates to get it figgered out, then go up in increments.Thanks again for sharing this cool design.(Ever thought about a BIG Ripper? 40-42" ws? I'd like to see that!)
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:02 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
O.K., I just couldn't wait! Hauled the pieces back out and re-cut a few, and it's together! Well, kind-of. It's glued & hinged at least. Gonna try my hand at a basic,no frills paint job, then mount my electronics.Hope to maiden it Sunday if the wind isn't too bad. AUW looks like it'll be 10.5-11 oz.Using a Grayson Hobby/Welgard 1450 w/ 8x4 prop and 3s 500 mah battery. Gonna start out about 25% for low rates to get it figgered out, then go up in increments.Thanks again for sharing this cool design.(Ever thought about a BIG Ripper? 40-42" ws? I'd like to see that!)
Cool.
Hope your maiden goes well.

I did start a bigger version a while back but I have it on the back burner for now.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:18 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
I had purchased a kit a while back with the hope to get it built before the snow started here in New England. Well, she sat in the corner for too long and I finally pulled it out and started the build myself.

Most of the assembly is complete, just waiting for a paint job. I'm trying to learn how to use an airbrush that I had also picked up a while ago and this will be my first airbrushed plane. I'll keep it simple and hopefully get it in the air sometime soon.

Will post pics before I launch it.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Dec 05, 2010, 04:50 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
Looking forward to the pics javabeans.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
I started building planes from foam a few months ago.... I tried a few mustang designs, one of the biplanes and the 109 I think.... the biplane was great but it didn't withstand the attack from the ground.... ok, so I thought I could get one more loop in... wrong... lol, anyway, I came across this and knew from the get go it was something I would enjoy.... I'm on my third now that I'm building for my girlfriends son, he's 21 and always wanted a plane. He received one when he was about 13 only to have it fly right into a tree after hand launching..... not sure who threw it but I'm sure that didn't go over very well. lol. Anyway, this is a great great plane, I lost my first one due to me getting a little cocky and trying to do too much...... ground attack again. :-)

I'm hoping the rest of the hardware comes in tomorrow so I can finish his plane up.. I'll be starting a backup for me after that..... great plane all the way.... thanks for the plans. If you haven't built this plane..... its a must!!!!
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:52 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley0826 View Post
I started building planes from foam a few months ago.... I tried a few mustang designs, one of the biplanes and the 109 I think.... the biplane was great but it didn't withstand the attack from the ground.... ok, so I thought I could get one more loop in... wrong... lol, anyway, I came across this and knew from the get go it was something I would enjoy.... I'm on my third now that I'm building for my girlfriends son, he's 21 and always wanted a plane. He received one when he was about 13 only to have it fly right into a tree after hand launching..... not sure who threw it but I'm sure that didn't go over very well. lol. Anyway, this is a great great plane, I lost my first one due to me getting a little cocky and trying to do too much...... ground attack again. :-)

I'm hoping the rest of the hardware comes in tomorrow so I can finish his plane up.. I'll be starting a backup for me after that..... great plane all the way.... thanks for the plans. If you haven't built this plane..... its a must!!!!
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad your enjoying this design. I hope your girlfriends son does well with it too.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
I haven't seen this plane yet, and it looks like just what Im looking for. Only thing I would like is a bigger WS version. I see that was mentioned a few posts ago. Anychance in posting some tiled plans for a 40-42" version? I dont have anyway to easily scale it up so I was hoping to get lucky here...

Looks like a fun plane! I just never seem to have calm conditions, so I need it a little bigger and heavier/more powerful.
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:57 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
I like the idea of a bigger version also. I'm pretty busy right now but will try to get one scaled up by next week.

Which size would be preferred 40" or 42" wingspan? Others opinions as to which size are welcomed too.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Sep 2009
21 Posts
im thinkin somewhere along the lines of... hmm... 72"???
go big or go home 3dmon
swim93 is offline Find More Posts by swim93
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:32 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim93 View Post
im thinkin somewhere along the lines of... hmm... 72"???
go big or go home 3dmon
Hey Alex! Long time no hear from... Merry late Christmas!

72"....nah. I already did my Yak that big.