Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:19 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
While waiting for the winds to die down and to putting the final touches on my Lil' Ripper I thought I would fire up the simulator and practice flying other 3D planes. Uh oh, I may be in for a world of hurt if my ability to keep the 3D planes in the air on the simulator is any guide. On the simulator I notice that it seems to be pretty easy to get the 3D planes into an out of control spin when flying slow and I haven't yet developed the muscle memory to reliably recover from the unusual attitudes these planes get into so quickly.

Any suggestions on a newby keeping the Lil' Ripper in the air? My experience thus far is flying a Hawk Sky, Dead Simple Wing and a NutBall -- all of which I do a reasonably good job of keeping in the air (for the most part). I figure the Lil' Ripper will have flight characteristics somewhere in between the DS Wing and the NutBall.

For my first few flights I figure I better dial in the dual rates to prevent excessive throws and concentrate on just doing conventional flight at reasonable altitude and speed. I'll also probably use 2S batteries I have on hand so that the plane is a little underpowered so it can't get away from me so quickly. I'll save the 3S batteries for when my confidence grows. Any other thoughts?
mpthompson is offline Find More Posts by mpthompson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:25 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
I think you got the right idea by first flying it in low rates. That is the main thing to do. I don't know if I would worry about the 2s pack though, remember you need the 3s for the weight to keep the cg right. The Lil' Ripper can be a very stable plane when the rates are kept low and I'm sure you will be fine just by doing that. I know you were talking about adding weight for the cg, but remember the more weight you add the worse the wing loading gets which makes for a less stable plane.
I am curious though, do you know what your final weight came out to?
I use to fly the prototype on the heavy side of 12-13oz's and it flew fine at that weight. I figure your probably close to that.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:49 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
With the 3S 1100 mah 25C battery the weight is at 12.25 oz. You are right that I do need this bigger battery to keep the CG in a sane location. I'll maiden it in this configuration.

Something I found is that is shrinking the dimensions slightly I made it a really tight fit for the battery. I accidentally broke some foam trying to squeeze the receiver, ESC and battery into the nose. Oh well, nothing some Gorilla Glue won't fix. Just a warning of others to play attention to how things fit as they build up their plane.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
I started building mine but whenever i dry fit the fuse sides together,every thing is twisted.probably just my crappy cutting.
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:31 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Hmmm. It sounds like it's on your end.
I do sell the kit form if you can't get your parts cut straight though.
Otherwise, maybe when you go to cut the sides out, make sure they are the same before trying to assemble it together.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
oh i know its on my end.
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:37 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Ok lol.
If the twisting isn't too bad you can try tacking the sides together and twist it to the shape it needs to be the best you can then glue some more as you go. Even if the fuse is a little crooked it's shouldn't be a huge deal as long as when you go to put the wing and tail surfaces on that you get those as straight as possible.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
Well I went for the maiden flight this morning in about 8 mph winds. I probably should have waited for calmer conditions, but I at least came back with an intact plane. For some reason, I was really nervous with the plane and my fingers were shaking a bit. Almost like my first RC flight a few months back. However, with dual rates dialed in at 50% it handled pretty well. I didn't dare try 100% rates as 50% seem responsive enough for me already.

I used an 8x4 prop, but was a bit underpowered and had trouble penetrating some of the stronger wind gusts. I would have used a higher thrust 9x4.7 prop, but I measured the static current draw at that prop at just under 12 amps and worried it was too much for my 10 amp ESC. I'll need to put an order for a 15 amp ESC to use a prop with more thrust.

One or two of my landings were a bit less than graceful and I'm seeing the shortcomings of using DollarTree foam for this particular build. It's a bit more fragile than it should be and some cracks are forming along the seams of the fuselage. The GG glue is holding strong, but cracks are forming in the foam itself. Some glue/tape should fix things up, but I'll be a bit more worried about breaking the plane on future flights.

Another issue I had is the wire I used for the ends of the control rods is not stiff enough and bends very easily. I'll need to replace the wire with something a little more stiff. Not a big deal.

One thing I will say is that in the air the Lil' Ripper is a VERY good looking design. It really got the attention of the kids and handful of adults who were at the park. The plane looks like it is really ready for serious acrobatics, unfortunately my piloting skills just aren't yet up to snuff.

Perhaps one I get this one dialed in and become more competent at flying it I'll order the pre-cut parts to make a more durable Lil' Ripper.

Oh well, time to recharge the battery and hope the winds calm down.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Congrats on the maiden. Glue and tape are some friends of mine...I guess they are friends of yours too. LOL.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:40 AM
Joined Nov 2009
18 Posts
I found your design very useful for my previus project.
Now I flew already around 50 times and I'm very satisfied with it. I like it because is very capable and easy to fly. I learn most of 3D acrobatics with it.

Here is mine design of Lil' Ripper. It weights 300g. First I try with motor that you sugested but I was not satisfied with it and I mounted little bit powerfull motor.

I change two things. One is that place main reinforcement spar on the start of the wing and add one more thinner flat spar at the end. I found that this design is very strong If plane hits ground with one wing and leaves no impact when this happend and plane is just 5g heavier.
Second thing that I add styrofoam block between motor mount and first wing reinforcement. That add additional 8g of weight

kolesar007 is offline Find More Posts by kolesar007
Last edited by kolesar007; Aug 27, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:10 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Nice work! I love the paint job.
It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but it looks like you have a spot there for landing gear too??
Thanks for posting pics,
Shaun
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:27 AM
Joined Nov 2009
18 Posts
Yes I have spot for landing gear too .
Its only plastic tube trough styro cube that I mention before. Landing gear was bent from steel stick. When I need this gear I just slot into tube and secure with two screws. Nice and simple method .
kolesar007 is offline Find More Posts by kolesar007
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:19 AM
To Build, or to Fly..........?
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
36 Posts
I came across this Lil' Ripper, and I think it rocks! Excellent job 3DMON!
I live in Europe, guess the shipping is kind of expensive to buy the kit.
The plan looks not too complicated to make myself, even though I'm a absolute beginner.
Fly_Bye is offline Find More Posts by Fly_Bye
Last edited by Fly_Bye; Sep 13, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:06 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Bye View Post
I came across this Lil' Ripper, and I think it rocks! Excellent job 3DMON!
I live in Europe, guess the shipping is kind of expensive to buy the kit.
The plan looks not too complicated to make myself, even though I'm a absolute beginner.
Thanks Fly_Bye!
Your right, the plane isn't too hard to make. One thing though is if your a beginner I wouldn't try flying this plane as your first plane. This plane would be better for your 2nd or 3rd plane because it's very aerobatic.
Have fun!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:29 AM
To Build, or to Fly..........?
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
36 Posts
I meant i'm an absolute beginner in scratchbuilding a plane but I guess your right, I've flown some planes before, and I own a RC helicopter, but this is probally a different 'cup of tea'. So it isn't possible to fly the Ripper in a 'normal' way first? It's design looks rather stable to me...
Guess I'll have to find a plan of a beginners plane that's as easy to build as this one (not to mention as good looking). Any suggestions are welcome...:-)
Fly_Bye is offline Find More Posts by Fly_Bye
Last edited by Fly_Bye; Sep 13, 2010 at 07:39 AM.