HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:39 AM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Any chance seeing a full airfoil wing version?
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2010, 06:32 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
$ Tree Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdb View Post
I had the same thought for Dollar Tree foam. Take the paper off for the fuselage pieces, but leave it on for the wing. If I leave it on both sides, I might not even need the CF. The trick to getting the paper off is to thoroughly cover the paper with rubbing alcohol (I use a foam brush to make sure I get it all covered), let it dry completely, then just peel the paper off.

This is a great looking plane. I'd love to know how you did the graphics.
While buying your foam, go to their household cleaners. Get a bottle of (I believe) LA Awesome Cleaner. Spray the paper good, wait 10 min., and the whole sheet will just peel off.I'm glueing 2 sheets together with G.G. makes a nice 6mm sheet. Just a single sheet after paper is 3mm, so I've got what I need for my Lil Ripper!(Probably gonna be my next build. I Love this Plane! Thanx, 3DMon.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Jul 02, 2010, 06:50 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Finchkid24 I'm not sure I'll be doing that anytime soon. It flies great the way it is and I have other designs I have going on in the background. So for now no, but who knows down the road.

EZglider Looking forward to seeing your build.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
I'm making fairly good progress on building a Lil' Ripper from DollarTree foamboard. It is scaled 92% so that the wings will fit on a single 20" x 30" sheet of foam. Because the foam is 4mm thick I had to adjust the tabs on the fuselage (mostly done by eyeball) and the flying surfaces are made of of a double laminate of foam so they are 8mm thick. The hinges are 3M extreme packing tape sandwiched between the foam laminates. Because of the scaling and thicker foam it will probably have a little higher wing loading than the original, but hopefully will still be a responsive and agile flier.

This is my 3rd foamy and the first I want to paint. It's looking pretty good now in white and I hope I don't botch the paint job. However, I'll try to take my time painting as my servos are on order and it will be a week before I get them (I'm usually very impatient).
mpthompson is offline Find More Posts by mpthompson
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthompson View Post
I'm making fairly good progress on building a Lil' Ripper from DollarTree foamboard. It is scaled 92% so that the wings will fit on a single 20" x 30" sheet of foam. Because the foam is 4mm thick I had to adjust the tabs on the fuselage (mostly done by eyeball) and the flying surfaces are made of of a double laminate of foam so they are 8mm thick. The hinges are 3M extreme packing tape sandwiched between the foam laminates. Because of the scaling and thicker foam it will probably have a little higher wing loading than the original, but hopefully will still be a responsive and agile flier.

This is my 3rd foamy and the first I want to paint. It's looking pretty good now in white and I hope I don't botch the paint job. However, I'll try to take my time painting as my servos are on order and it will be a week before I get them (I'm usually very impatient).
The $Tree foam is inconsistant evidently. Lat build I did, I sandwiched 2 sheets together, came to 6 mm. This time, I got the same 8mm as you! I did the wing full-size by cutting the page in half, then joining them. Hope mine looks as smooth as yours when I'm done. Nice job!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:12 AM
R/C Junkie
Claremore, OK, USA
Joined Feb 2004
369 Posts
Quote:

Looks good. I plan to build one out of DollarTree foam board if the ink I ordered would ever get here.

How did you glue the double layers together? Did you just use one layer of tape before gluing them together?

I want to try to build a built up wing at some point. Love how this plane looks and want to try a built up wing.

Brian
Sonex128 is offline Find More Posts by Sonex128
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:46 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex128 View Post
Looks good. I plan to build one out of DollarTree foam board if the ink I ordered would ever get here.

How did you glue the double layers together? Did you just use one layer of tape before gluing them together?

I want to try to build a built up wing at some point. Love how this plane looks and want to try a built up wing.

Brian
Sonex,
I take the paper off the foamboard, then spread a thin layer of Gorilla Glue on one sheet. Use an old credit card or similar as a trowel to spread it evenly. Spray a light coat of water on the other sheet to activate, then press together. Lay them on a hard surface (table), and put plenty of weight on top to act as a clamp. I use books, flower pots, bricks, whatever I have available.I always glue them up last thing at night, and just let it sit and cure. Next morning, it's ready! May have to trim/sand any foam around the edges from the G.G.Seems to work pretty well.Hope that helps. Good luck on your Ripper!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex128 View Post
I used the clear Gorilla glue that cures into a hard white foam. However, if doing it over again I would use a different glue when forming the fuselage. The reason is when GG dries it is much harder and denser than the surrounding foam making it difficult to smooth everything out with fine sand paper. I had to use a course sand paper to sand the joints and then a lot of light weight spackling past fill in the marks left behind. In the end it didn't turn out bad, but it was a lot more work than it needed to be.

I just used a single layer of tape. The 3M extreme packing tape has cross hatched reinforcement that should be plenty strong for the hinges even with just a single layer.

The fun thing about these foamies is each one you learn a bit more about what works and doesn't work. Each plane subsequently gets better.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
I take the paper off the foamboard, then spread a thin layer of Gorilla Glue on one sheet. Use an old credit card or similar as a trowel to spread it evenly. Spray a light coat of water on the other sheet to activate, then press together. Lay them on a hard surface (table), and put plenty of weight on top to act as a clamp.
I did exactly the same for my wings. The GG worked out great for that.

I first cut the wings before removing the paper and gluing the laminates together. This allowed me to more easily go back and cut the 45 degree bevels for the control surfaces and to make the hinges between the laminates. I simply used blue tape to join the sheets together when cutting so each laminate perfectly matched the one below it.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:05 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
mpthomas
Looking good. I like your hinge method. I think you will be fine with it being smaller. Originally I was flying the fanfold prototype with a 1300 mah 3s battery and a 370 style motor. It flew good on that setup but the blue wonder setup I fly now is just so much better. What power setup do you plan to put on it?

Also you might find it hard to get the cg right with the tail surfaces being doubled up like that with the extra weight being in the back. If you haven't mounted the firewall yet, you might want to move it further forward to help offset the weight.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
Well, I have a 1300 blue wonder I was planning on putting into this. The other thing is I have 900 mah 2s and 1100 mah 3s battery packs. Perhaps the heavier weight of these packs in the nose will help compensate for the thicker tail surfaces. Of course, that increases the wing loading even further. I guess I'll have have to see how it turns out and make adjustments from there.

Despite the potential CG issues, I do have to say that the laminated foam feels really solid. I may still add packing tape to the main wings leading edges just to help combat the eventual dings and scrapes from unplanned contact with ground objects. Unfortunately, I've found tape not to take to paint so well so I'm still debating that.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:25 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
I think you will be fine with your power setup.
I've found that if I lightly scuff the tape fine some fine sandpaper then wipe it good with alcohol the paint sticks a lot better.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:57 AM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
After the distraction of a remodel to a room in my house, I finally got back to finishing my version of the Lil' Ripper built from DollarTree foam. Below are the pictures of the major assembly and painting now finished.

As 3DMON predicted, I do seem to be having problems with the CG because of the thicker foam on the tail. Even with a larger/heavier 1100 mah 3S battery, CG is coming at about just behind the mid-point of the aileron servos -- a bit more than a full inch behind the location of the wing spar. I guess I'll have to resort to putting some lead weight in the nose to balance it out. Also, the batteries I have on hand are slightly too large and are a tight squeeze. I'll probably wait until I receive some smaller 3S batteries I have on order before I attempt a maiden flight.

This is my 3rd foamie I've built so far -- the DS wing and Nutball being my previous builds. I thoroughly botched up the paint job on the wings and had to start over again so there is a bit more paint on it than there really should be. I guess I'll get better as learn what works and doesn't work with the somewhat fragile DollarTree foam.

I have a fair amount of time invested in this plane so I'll be patient to get everything working right before I attempt my first flight. I've never done 3D or high-alpha flight before and I really hope that I can use this plane as a trainer.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:01 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Nice job!
Your Lil' Ripper came out really good. I've been thinking about doing a flame scheme on one of my next ones too.
For 3d your cg at half the servo location is spot on but if this is your first 3d type plane it probably would be best to get the cg a little further forward. I'm not a fan of adding weight but if that is the only way then maybe do that for the test flights and then when your comfortable with the plane remove it.
Looking forward to your maiden and hope it goes well.
Quote:
After the distraction of a remodel to a room in my house, I finally got back to finishing my version of the Lil' Ripper built from DollarTree foam. Below are the pictures of the major assembly and painting now finished.

As 3DMON predicted, I do seem to be having problems with the CG because of the thicker foam on the tail. Even with a larger/heavier 1100 mah 3S battery, CG is coming at about just behind the mid-point of the aileron servos -- a bit more than a full inch behind the location of the wing spar. I guess I'll have to resort to putting some lead weight in the nose to balance it out. Also, the batteries I have on hand are slightly too large and are a tight squeeze. I'll probably wait until I receive some smaller 3S batteries I have on order before I attempt a maiden flight.

This is my 3rd foamie I've built so far -- the DS wing and Nutball being my previous builds. I thoroughly botched up the paint job on the wings and had to start over again so there is a bit more paint on it than there really should be. I guess I'll get better as learn what works and doesn't work with the somewhat fragile DollarTree foam.

I have a fair amount of time invested in this plane so I'll be patient to get everything working right before I attempt my first flight. I've never done 3D or high-alpha flight before and I really hope that I can use this plane as a trainer.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:11 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
Thanks for the advice. With the smaller batteries I have on order I believe the CG will move back a bit more, but I'll figure it out when I get them in hand. I'm not a fan of adding weight either, but I've done it before for the initial flights of other planes to keep things a little more stable while getting use to the flight characteristics.

I also am using a 10 amp Turnigy Plush ESC for the 1300 blue wonder. I noticed it got a little warm when doing static testing with the 8x4 prop. I haven't measure the actual current yet, but I may need to order a new 15 amp ESC if I'm pushing things a little too far.