HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Tagging this one. I love the BW power systems - I just need to get some smaller 3 cell batteries... or I could use my 1700 BW and 2cells... Hm...
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:21 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
3Dmon, I just reprinted the plans making sure there was no scaling and same problem... The elevator spar is coming out at 4 and 27/32 inches. Weird...

Maybe I'll try letting Adobe do its own tile from your full size plans and see what happens.
Man, oh man. I just printed it out and found the same thing. I looked into my files and I had 2 different ones for the 6mm tiled plans. I checked the other and it was perfect. Somehow I must have had the wrong one uploaded to the site. I am fixing this now. Thank you for finding this error. I'm sorry you had to find it by printing the whole plan out though.

**The right one is now up on the site**
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Last edited by 3DMON; Jun 03, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:31 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,372 Posts
Kurpal,
I haven't tried the 1700kv 2s setup on it yet but I bet it would do well as long as you get enough thrust out of it.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:07 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
3DMON no worries. I only noticed because I was comparing wing chords to my yak and noticed the wingspan was smaller than I thought it would be. It's really a splitting hairs difference anyway. I printed it out again and hopefully can start building this weekend. Only problem is I have to do some painting and texturing before tile gets laid this week so my wife thinks the house is more important than the plane..... I disagree! Haha
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
KFM4 Report

I put 4 packs thriogh mine this afternoon. Got the CG perfectly neutral at just behind half way back on the servos. It goes where I point it, right side up or inverted.

The KFM4 wing seems very stable, flys fast but slows down nice. The wing is built with out the spar, just the three layers of $TF and weighed in a 2.10oz. I didn't see any flex at all, my 29" P-64 KFM2 combat plane has some flex.

At just under 14oz (because of the packaging tape and big speed control) it could stand a little more vertical power but it's ok. I think I'll try to rewind a silver wonder into a tractor puller.

3dmon, how do you set the thrust angle on the motor? I've read, sometimes 3D planes need a little up thrust. I set mine with very small amount down and right, seems like maybe a tad up might be better. I think it pitches up a little when I let off the power. Its a small amount, I'm being nit pickey now. This plane really flys nice.
scot88 is offline Find More Posts by scot88
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:57 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot88 View Post
KFM4 Report

I put 4 packs thriogh mine this afternoon. Got the CG perfectly neutral at just behind half way back on the servos. It goes where I point it, right side up or inverted.

The KFM4 wing seems very stable, flys fast but slows down nice. The wing is built with out the spar, just the three layers of $TF and weighed in a 2.10oz. I didn't see any flex at all, my 29" P-64 KFM2 combat plane has some flex.

At just under 14oz (because of the packaging tape and big speed control) it could stand a little more vertical power but it's ok. I think I'll try to rewind a silver wonder into a tractor puller.

3dmon, how do you set the thrust angle on the motor? I've read, sometimes 3D planes need a little up thrust. I set mine with very small amount down and right, seems like maybe a tad up might be better. I think it pitches up a little when I let off the power. Its a small amount, I'm being nit pickey now. This plane really flys nice.
Glad it's flying good.
As far as thrust angles. A little bit of down and right is good.
It sounds like yours might need a little more down if it pitches up when you throttle back.

My understanding on why people sometimes add up thrust is mainly for in a hover. It is said to make a plane need less elevator input to maintain a good hover. The down side is it screws everything else up for normal flying.
I don't find the benefit of doing this.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:08 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON View Post
Kurpal,
I haven't tried the 1700kv 2s setup on it yet but I bet it would do well as long as you get enough thrust out of it.
As long as the total watts are around the same it should output a similar amount of thrust. I'd use my 1300 kv motor and a 10x3.8 SF prop on 2 S but I imagine that will result it way too much torque rolling on this little frame.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:12 PM
No dihedral. That's how I roll
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Amazing plans! I have already started attatching the control horns. I am looking foward to it's maiden flight but I am waiting on parts from hobby king. (currently in Singapore)
Happy flying
Titangliderconve is offline Find More Posts by Titangliderconve
Last edited by Titangliderconve; Jun 15, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:37 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titangliderconve View Post
Amazing plans! I have already started attatching the control horns. I am looking foward to it's maiden flight but I am waiting on parts from hobby king. (currently in Singapore)
Happy flying

P.S-- What speeds should I expect with a blue wonder 3000 kv motor?
This plane is not designed for speed. If your looking for a speed plane try my Speedy design.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:08 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Toldja I Build Slow!

Well, this is my current progress.Just need to mount my esc & rx, and run controls from servos. Should be ready to maiden on Sat. (my build time at night is limited!) Doesn't look too bad, I think.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:15 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,372 Posts
Looking good EZglider!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:21 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
40 in Ripper = BIG FUN!

Just got in from my maiden on the 40in. MAN! Shaun, you gotta build yourself one. Talk about floaty. My AUW came in at 17.5 oz. With the Suppo/Grayson 2212-13 and a 10x6 prop, I've got all the performance I need. I'm by NO means a 3D animal, but it hovers @ just over 1/2 throttle., KE very nicely, w/ almost no coupling. Flew it on fairly low throws for 2 packs, just to feel it out and trim it. Recharging so I can fly it again on my way to work, may up the throws a bit. Very smooth flyer at this size.Love this design. Thanks for sharing it 3DMon.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Last edited by EZglider; Jun 14, 2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:10 AM
No dihedral. That's how I roll
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
We are about to test fly our plane, can anyone give me any tips
on flight and launching?
Thank you in advance,

Happy flying
Titangliderconve is offline Find More Posts by Titangliderconve
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,372 Posts
That's awesome EZglider!

Titangliderconve,
Just a slight underhand toss works great. I would use low rates first until you get comfortable with it. Have fun and hope your maiden goes well!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
My Lil Ripper finished with maiden flight

Here is my finished Lil Ripper made from Dollar Tree foam. The build was easy thanks to the supplied plans and instructions from 3DMON. It's my first 3D plane and I've only been flying rc planes for 3 months now so no big 3D flying yet.

My AUW with 3S 800mAh battery is 13oz

Setup:
hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv (a little underpowered at around 400g trust)
Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC
DSM2 Orange RX
4X HXT900 servos
9X4.7 prop

Thanks a lot 3DMON for the great design. This plane is a lot of fun to fly and also my favorite right now.

Here is a video of the maiden flight:
Lil ripper Scratchbuild rc plane maiden flight (2 min 46 sec)
madmax14 is offline Find More Posts by madmax14