HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:11 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Nice!
I love the diamond plate look. Hope your maiden goes well for ya!
3DMON is online now Find More Posts by 3DMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2011, 06:05 AM
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Apr 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON View Post
Nice!
I love the diamond plate look. Hope your maiden goes well for ya!
I cut the stencil with the Fireball too! :-D
metasim is offline Find More Posts by metasim
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Flew mine again today. Its been a while... It certainly does fly very nicely! I love the tumbles! My favorite!
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:30 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
I went flying with my big ripper again this morning... I was being a little rough on her and she couldnt take it! I did some full throttle snap rolls and could see her stress on that poor underpowered wing spar. Then I tried some rolling circles for the first time ever... Things were going decent until it stopped rolling. I lost most of my aileron control, so I e-landed. Popped off an aileron horn. So packed up and left. Now I noticed my elevator horn is holding by a thread too... Guess I need some bigger stronger horns... These are micros on a 40" WS. I bit undersuited for the job really.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Glad your still enjoying your Lil' Ripper. Didn't you have a wooden spar in the wing? Sounds like you need some better bracing.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Yep its wooden... Its way underpowered for the job... Its a shame too cuz Im going to end up snapping the wings at the rate Im going. I really like the way it flies too. It grows on me more and more each time I fly it! Oh well. If I do break it, i'll try some dollar tree board to get a bit more stiffness from it.

Im surprised more people haven't joined in and built one.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:02 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Heli, why not glue a 4mm cf strip on the LE of your wing? I tried it on a 36" Clik I'm building, and it gives a LOT of stiffness to the wing. Very simple to do after it's alredy built, and it might do the trick for ya combined with the wooden spar you already have in place. Oh, BTW, I'm considering something a bit crazy for the summer. Haven't got it all together in my head yet, but be looking for Mega Ripper.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:23 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
EZglider,

I'll try some CF if the price is right... I wanted to build cheap... Next time Im in the LHS I'll pick up a strip and try it. Initially I like to build a "prototype" of any plane before putting the money and effort into doing it right. I hate when I spend all my time on something I hate to fly... But this plane is certainly worthy of some CF

This is my current go too plane! Luckily I haven't driven it in hard (yet)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:32 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Hey EZglider,
What kind of wingspan were you thinking with a Mega Ripper? I would like to see this.

HelivsFMX,
Thanks for those comments. It's nice to hear.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:32 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I've been looking at Get Real's GRX and I'm working on a Clik XL in EPP right now. Got my hands on a Turnigy 3536C and 40a esc, and was considering one of those cut at 45-48" ws out of 1/2" Lowes foam.(Just can't get over that PINK!) Got to thinking it would be cool to cut a profile version of the Ripper at that size! Of course it wouldn't have the darting quick response of the original (still just about my favorite build), but this design has enough wing area to be floaty at that size, and should 3D pretty nice I think at 30-32 oz. Still kicking it around in my head, but might make a cool summer flyer.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:08 PM
3Disaster
Las vegas nevada
Joined Apr 2007
277 Posts
Almost done with mine.just need to glue wing and install horns and pushrods. 2bucks it cost me to build .30in wing span
nerdc0re79 is offline Find More Posts by nerdc0re79
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:23 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Cool!
Hope your maiden goes well.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Man Im loving this thing more and more the more I fly it!

Was trying to learn my rolling circles better today... Fell out of one and went straight towards the hard stuff! Hit full power and pulled an inverted loop full stick to get away from the fast approaching ground! I must have cut some of that grass with the prop! Can't believe it flew out of that! If I had a millionth less elevator throw, it would be in 10K pieces in the field!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:53 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
I shoulda bought some carbon fibre....

It sounded awesome though! I was knife edging around the field and rolled out and lost orientation. Going nose in, I pulled back to see which way the plane responded to regain orientation, but SNAP!!!! Broke the wings clean in half and hit the hard stuff. Not too bad as you can see.

3DMON, now I have joined your "wing breaking" crew
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:58 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,375 Posts
Oh man! I figured it was a matter of time with no carbon in the wing. It looks repairable though.