HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:04 PM
Little Rock, arkansas
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
I will try to take some pics of my progress so far.... Ran into a problem... wondering if anyone has any suggestions... I am using Blue FFF and I have chose Yellow and Black as my scheme(I am colorblind and subtlety is totally lost on me) After painting the wings and fuse yellow with my airbrush... I have considered calling this the "Ziploc" (because yellow and blue make green). Seriously... Ive had to put quite a bit of paint so far and it still has a greenish cast to it. Any tricks to painting FFF?
wlrman36 is offline Find More Posts by wlrman36
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:14 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,467 Posts
When I paint FFF I first use a white primer. The h20 latex spray paint works good and it is safe on the foam. My only thing is around here it is very hard to find anymore. Walmart use to be the only place I could find it here but now they don't even sell it.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:19 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON View Post
When I paint FFF I first use a white primer. The h20 latex spray paint works good and it is safe on the foam. My only thing is around here it is very hard to find anymore. Walmart use to be the only place I could find it here but now they don't even sell it.
You should be able to find KILZ at Home Depot, Lowes and Wally World.
The H2O (blue can ) works well and so does the shellac based one and it dries in a heart beat! I'll try to get pix or SKU #'s................Dart

P.S. Started cutting a 40"....need more time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:20 PM
Little Rock, arkansas
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
I have a ton of the acrylic hobby paint from walmart. I thin the, and use them through the airbrush.. think that might work for a primer? I do have white.
wlrman36 is offline Find More Posts by wlrman36
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:24 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,467 Posts
Acrylic paints are great for foam. If you have white shoot a coat of that on there. Your yellow should pop after that.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:22 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
Hey Guys!!

Ive been watching/reading this tread for the last week or so. 3DMON she looks Sweet.Id build it now,but i have now many planes...Well should i say No where too store them
Ive been using a Airbrush for a quite sometime...I would not know what too do ,if i never had a Airbrush for Trimming/decal'in Scratchbuilds .
Prob just stick stickers on them lol.
Some very nice Spray Jobs Guys

I got the Plans D/led and saved...
May have too build this puppy in the near future.I use dollarStore foam.All i use too get the paper is wipe down with warm water.let dry and peel if off with ease...
So far if built TomHe's Euro Fighter
OSG(One Sheet Glider)60''WS
SLow28 and half ways through Prime_8's Lil Extra.
Have a look
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=313302

That foam rocks.It have too,,,Super easy too work with and well Bend with cord like you would not believe. i cant get much foam here other then that and FFF..Our store meat trays are made from depron but hard too get anything descent in size.Unless they sold 50lbs of Ground beef lol

As for Wing Spars and Fuse Stiffening ,Anyone ever use Carbon Fiber Tow?
Its very easy too work with and Cheap and Lite...

My set up would be..
1700 Blue wonder.
TGY 3s 500mah.
Either 9G or 3.7g servos.
8x4E
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jan 07, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:30 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
EastCoast,
I built mine out of de-papered $Tree foam. Double thickness for wings, vert/horiz stabs. My weight wound up at just over 12 oz. (Heavy finger on the paint cans!). Haven't done any really violent maneuvers yet, but the foam seems to work fine.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Sweet my stuff came from HK! Hopefully I'll have the plane up and flying this weekend if I get some spare time to work on it.
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
UK, Redcar and Cleveland, Redcar
Joined Feb 2010
297 Posts
Built as per your specs and maidened at the weekend she fly's great, Auw came in at 11 ozs but that's just me being enthusiastic with the hot glue. I was suprised how much wind this plane will actually handle, thanks for releasing the plans free 3DMON, its a pleasure to fly and will be a regular at my club, there's already 2 members building there's I'll try get a group pic when they are all done but for now here's mine.
I opted for the tape covering btw as it adds so much strength to the depron and gives me peace of mind.
Thanks again
Keith
Kf52t is offline Find More Posts by Kf52t
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,467 Posts
Looks good Keith!
I'm looking forward to that group pic.

Keep us posted helivsFMX
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:30 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Well its pretty much done now. But where is the CG supposed to be? I can't find a suggestion anywhere.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,467 Posts
CG info is on the first page of the instructions. Being that yours is scaled up you should still be fine with it on the carbon spar location.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:00 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
I maidened it!

Everything went well! No mistakes in reversing for once! I like to forget to reverse channels before I fly. I just spooled it up and let it fly out of my hands. My only complaint is that my wings are too floppy. They didn't break or anything. But when you pull a hard elevator, you can see the wings flap. The plane floats really nicely for how heavy it feels. Its not a fat pig or anything, but for a 40" wingspan, its much heavier than the standard 32" would be. I was surprised though. I feels like a floater when you cut throttle, but I have WAY more power than I need for 3D. I can accelerate vertically at just over half throttle. I kind of like it that way... So overall Im impressed and happy with the plane! Good plans 3Dmon!

Oh I did have one mishap... Apparently the motor mounts that come with the towerpro motors from hobbyking are CRAP! Ive never broke a motor mount before even in nose in crashes. But I broke this mount when I landed and the prop touched the ground. Incredible! I have one more of these crap mounts, but then I'll go back to my eflite mount which has served me for over a year.
Last edited by helivsFMX; Jan 16, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:34 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,467 Posts
Cool , glad your maiden went well, floppy wings and all. Sounds like you need some carbon in there.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Apr 2010
128 Posts
Preimaiden build pics

Though I'd share some build pics of my first Lil' Ripper before I beat it up.

This was the first plane I cut out on my new CNC machine (Fireball V90). I used PhlatScript generated g-code from 3DMON's Sketchup files posted on PhlatForum. I had to do some creative indexing/shifting of the foam since the Fireball can only cut up to (approx) 11" x 17", but it was a joy to have the parts cut out without having to make templates.

I was particularly excited about being able to cut the plywood parts with precision (I cut an extra firewall for no particular reason).

Looking forward to maidening it tomorrow, weather permitting.

metasim
metasim is offline Find More Posts by metasim