SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:40 PM
Meridian Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Discussion
Thinner alternatives for Sig Nitrate dope

I ran out of thinner yesterday and visited a number of local hobby stores and when I asked about thinners that are compatable with dope I just got blank stares.

I will order some from Sig but I am wondering if there are any alternatives that I can buy locally so I can get back to work asap.

Is there a specific type of thinner that a place like wal-mart, hobby lobby (the big craft store, not the rc airplane place) or hobbytown usa might carry?
BigGoomba is offline Find More Posts by BigGoomba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:47 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
I wouldnt do that if I were you...
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:50 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,038 Posts
Acetone will thin nitrate as will laquer thinner.

Martin
Martin Irvine is online now Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:55 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Ditto the acetone - it's all I've ever used. You can also get nitrate dope and thinner from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...hcoatings.html
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Well here in Houston with the heat and humidity it blushes like crazy if you dont use a heat lamp, thats why i suggested sticking nitrate thinner. Geoff have you had it crack over time using acetone ?
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:35 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
No, but I haven't covered large surfaces with acetone-thinned dope. I usually build little models. On a small model I'm sure acetone is fine; on a big one, or in high humidity, a retarder would be wise if not necessary.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
I have used a GOOD quality automotive laquer thinner with dope. Seemed to work just fine.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:40 PM
Meridian Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
I found a solvent that states that it is a acceptable replacement for lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK and a bunch of other things. One of the components of the Sig thinner is MEK so I bought it. I painted applied a test strip of silkspan to see how it works. Wont know till this evening when I get home. Ordered some more thinner from Sig so it will be a moot point in a few days. Dont want to be idle till then though.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
one flew
erie pa/grand rapids mi
Joined Jan 2010
89 Posts
How well do these alternatives work with butyrate dope? ie. sig lite-coat.

-des
MentalDekay is offline Find More Posts by MentalDekay
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:44 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Acetone will make the dope blush in humid environments. As the acetone evaporates off, it cools the surface which makes water from the atmosphere condense on it. Water and dope don't mix, so you get blushing. MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is better, but pretty much any solvent blend that has 50% or more ketone in it will be good. I use cheap spraying thinners from my local auto paint shop, it's 50/50 MEK and toluene (toluol).

Capt. Ahab, try adding some car paint retarder thinners (usually cyclohexanone), it should slow the drying down enough so that you don't get blushing. Helps make brush strokes level out too.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:09 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
I used to use the good quality English Color brand lacquer thinner with great success, with both nitrate and butyrate dope. However, I am not sure that it has the same formula these days.....

Worth checking, though.

I have also heard that you can add a little acetone to hardware store lacquer thinner and get some good results.

As the OP is in Idaho, I think he will have a lot less humidity problems than people have in the Houston area....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:33 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
I use A class automotive thinner = fast dry = gloss.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:57 PM
Meridian Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Thomas B, you are correct, I think we had some humidity a while back ... cant say I cared for it much.

I stepped off an airplane in the Houston airport once, broke into a sweat, thought I was under water, panicked and swore never to return.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:10 PM
Meridian Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Not much to report on the alternative that I tried. Its a supposed 'green' thinner. Does not dry as fast as the Sig thinner. Seems to work though its hard to test how it works over time. Seems like the silkspan is more flexable. I am going to try the whole wing underside with it and see what happens.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:21 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I use A class automotive thinner = fast dry = gloss.
Our thinners get worse and worse as the VOC regualtions for air quality keep taking to good stuff out of the thinners...sigh.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel