HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:38 PM
Rusty Fingers
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2010
440 Posts
Discussion
Want a kit for my 15 year old son to build

I am a somewhat experience, though now outdated, e-flyer. I was flying when lipo batteries were just getting started, and that is when I stopped flying. Too many other demands (three kids, work, mountain bike racing, etc.), kept me from being able to continue with the hobby. Well, now I am back and want to get my son into the hobby. I am a firm believer in building models that you fly, and most of my existing airframes are either from wood kits, or scratch built from plans.

At any rate, I want my son to build a kit that he flies so he can appreciate the work and craftsmanship that goes into the hobby. I was thinking of getting him a Sig LT-25 kit as a trainer to build while I refit my LT-25 (with ailerons) for him to train on. Are there other, maybe smaller, wooden kits for him to cut his teeth on? I realize there are fewer and fewer kits on the market, which is apparently dominated by ARFs.

As an aside, what a great time it is for this hobby! Years ago when I was flying, brushless motors were way expensive and NiCad/NiMH batteries were too (and heavy). I am really looking forward to getting back at it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
NoobAgain is offline Find More Posts by NoobAgain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:41 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Have a look here--
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117471
Frank has done a great job of gathering info for you.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:02 PM
Rusty Fingers
Joined Jun 2010
440 Posts
Woah, thanks a bunch. Looks like the Hobby Lobby mini-telemaster would fit the bill, but it is out of stock and on backorder. Anyone know where I might be able to find one laying around for sale?

Greg
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:08 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Here you go Greg:
http://www.aerocraftrc.com/planepage.php?id=23

Also the Mountain Models stuff is great. Laser cut and very simple to put together.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:18 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,620 Posts
I have a couple of Brian's kits at Mountain Models and enjoy the heck out of them! I was out flying the EZ Cub today and I had a blast. Easy to build and great results. I would really recommend something along his EZ line of planes.

Stevens Aero is another place that makes quality kits: http://www.stevensaero.com Give them a look over too.

House of Balsa makes some pretty quality kits designed by some pretty good craftsmen. http://www.houseofbalsa.com These kits are not specifically for beginners and most are rated as intermediate.

-Stone1295
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Last edited by Stone1295; Jun 20, 2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: changed a word
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
Rusty Fingers
Joined Jun 2010
440 Posts
Alright, you guys rock. Thanks so much. Telemaster and power system ordered for the boy!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobAgain View Post
Alright, you guys rock. Thanks so much. Telemaster and power system ordered for the boy!
Depending on how old he is, and therefore his attention span, the Telemaster, with it's stick construction may prove to be a little frustrating for him. The Mountain Models Dandy makes for an excellent 3 channel plane, and if you order the optional sport wing, it turns the Dandy into an excellent flying aileron plane at the change of a wing.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
Rusty Fingers
Joined Jun 2010
440 Posts
Thanks for that info Chuck. I live in Albuquerque and know Pat, Charlie, and Ken. They are super folks and run a great business.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:04 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Chuck, if you're going to offer help, at least give him a list with a few more vendors!!

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:30 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,120 Posts
In my experience, what beginners need above all else is time to think. Most of the traditional powered trainers are much too fast in this regard. That's why when we started working on planes for the training market, we focused on two-meter sailplanes, such as our 2-meter Chrysalis, which is designed to be a good trainer for both building and flying, as well as still being an excellent sport model once you've passed the rank beginner stage.

The other planes that offer excellent stability and plenty of time to think are some of the indoor/backyard/park flyers. For example, our Roadkill Series Piper Cub and Curtiss-Wright "Junior" were designed specifically as trainers. As with all of our kits they are not ARF's, but they are laser-cut and simple and easy to build. Also, their balsa and ply construction makes them easy to repair, and their extremely light weight makes them very durable and resistant to impact. If it's light enough, it doesn't hit very hard!

Please forgive the "shameless plug", but all of the above is based on years of experience with helping beginners. If .40-sized gas models were the best way to teach folks how to fly, that's what we would have developed.

Don
www.djaerotech.com
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Rusty Fingers
Joined Jun 2010
440 Posts
Well said Don,

I myself learned on a Goldberg glider way back in the day. I found that I could fly it just as well when hand launching after awhile. I loved that plane, and was sooo sad when I folded the wings on a launch one day!

I will be there on the sticks with my son and his mini-telemaster. I think a R/E plan that can float with either no or low power will give him something to stay interested. Its hard to compete with video games these days.

Greg
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:13 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
The main thing is if he wants to do it. Doing a project like this with your kid, or letting him do it could be very rewarding, but if it isn't his thing, it isn't his thing. Not everyone is as into these things as we are, and that's alright. Just something to keep in mind from my point of view.

I'm 100% self trained on a .40 sized balsa glow ARF I put together when I was 15, almost 15 years ago now. My step dad was kind of curious about it, but for the most part it was just my thing. My first test flight was by myself and other than a somewhat rough landing, it went perfectly fine. The reason for my success is because I took the time to learn the theory behind everything first, to visualize what the stick inputs and control surfaces would do.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
if u scratch build yourself, why not build a plane with your son--his design, your expertise. of course you'll have to enjoy a better relationship with your teenager then most parents to make this bareable.
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
Rusty Fingers
Joined Jun 2010
440 Posts
I thought about building one from scratch, but I want him to build this mostly by himself, so I figured a laser cut, proven design would be easier to get started. He says he is really interested in doing it, and I believe him. I hope that he doesnt get too frustrated, but I plan to help him build when he needs it. The covering should be interesting. I remember what my first few covering jobs looked like and they were not pretty!

If he is truly interested after this kit, then we can move on to building from some plans I have laying around. I remember what it was like when I first started, and only had one plane. When it was out of commission, I was stuck! Always nice to have another one on the board.

Greg