Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2001, 06:12 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Not a happy camper.

Well with less than 12 flights on my Virus 280 the wing folded. It folded between the center sheeting and the next rib out. Upon inspection it appears to have just been too light a weight of balsa for the main spar.

[This message has been edited by virus280 (edited 06-25-2001).]
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2001, 06:16 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,463 Posts
Get one of the famous Zagi's, or T-52's if you want durable.

Check out some of the ARF's from Hobby lobby, they have some neat one, I'm partial to the Bloody Mary, which is plenty strong, and I belive the spar was made of basswood. The Bloody Mary is plenty forgiving, yet its pretty responsive, and can use all the equipment from the Virus
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 24, 2001, 06:18 PM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
Did you try and contact NSP and let them know about your problems?
From what I know of this plane it's high quality and flies great.
I have never received a plane from NSP that wsn't high quality.
I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had with the plane.
Has anyone else had problems with this plane?
Regards,
Shelby
shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old Jun 24, 2001, 06:22 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
I've sent Sal two previous emails asking him a charging question about one of his packs, and also about some assembly questions with this model. No replies either time.

I will send an inquiry to them.
Old Jun 24, 2001, 06:47 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi V280!! Did you have any "little" bad landings prior to the wing breaking? If you did hit a wing or smack into something, this will cause a failure because of hidden or unobserved damage.This has happened to me with a SlimGym. If not, I suggest you speak to Sal personally, That's his favorite which he designed slowflyer (YECH oops!!! )and you might take a different stance after the conversation. The idea here is to not trash a vendor without a chance for them to help. email isn't always the way. Hope you get back flying soon! Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jun 24, 2001, 07:04 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
No, no bad landings. I was actually happy with the way it flew. I wasn't bashing vendors, but just stating my experience.
Old Jun 24, 2001, 07:35 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I had a wing failure on a Shoofly for apparently the same reason. Sal made good by sending me another kit. --Rob

[This message has been edited by slowflyer (edited 06-24-2001).]
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Jun 25, 2001, 07:51 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Maybe a thin carbon fiber rod spar on these types of wings would go a long ways to cutting down on these types of failures ?
The carbon shouldn't have too much of a weight penalty ...
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:41 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Don't lose sight of that Sal doesn't actually build these models.

Before parting with your hard earned hobby loot, ask yourself if the individual who built the model is really interested in whether the spars (and the rest of the structure, for that matter) are up to the job.

Mine always are. If not, I know who the goon was who skimped on the job - me!. Can you say the same about someone overseas, someone who maybe doesn't even know for sure what they are assembling?

Instant gratification by buying a ready built or instant dissatisfaction when it turns out badly made - is that a good way to relax in a hobby?

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:08 AM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Good point Dereck.

Maybe my next plane will be a kit. Any suggestions.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:14 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Please give us a call about the Virus 280. We take the design and execution of our airframes very seriuosly. We would like to see the broken wing too, if this is not a problem, to determine what went wrong.

The Virus 280's have been a very successful kit and have also been reviewed well. Thayer Syme reviewed the Virus 280 for MAN and he is a critical and experienced reviewer and pilot. The design of the wing is not the problem. Our testing on wing design and durability is extensive. It is possible to have an undiscovered defect during the building.

We stand by our products ALWAYS and would like to hear from you as soon as you are able. Our number is 802-655-7700. Please ask for Sal.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:27 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Virus280
I've just finished a "DuskStik" - www.duskstik.com It's a fairly new kit that has gone from a self published plan to a laser cut kit. Would probably take the RC gear out of your wreckage too. One advantage of the way this kit is produced is that the guy behind it is prepared to update the model as he goes along. The basic concept is sound, but he is always tinkering with it as he goes.

If you are "low time" on building, this one is really simple and has a good "hand-holding" instruction book.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:55 AM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
Sal-
Kuddos on the response. Its always good to see a vendor pop up on the board and take interest (and stand behind) his product, but I thought Carol said she was going to kick your a$$ if she saw you posting to the E-Zone agian

Well I'm still trying to decide if I want a Virus 280 or a 400. I'll probably be giving you a call soon for some advice.

PS if Bleriot says its built good, its built good, end of story. Sounds like virus280 may have gotten a bad wing.
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Jun 25, 2001, 03:31 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Very impressed with the response from Sal.
Plane is on the way back to him for inspection.

Plane flew well, and hopefully this was just a freak thing.

Tim
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:49 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Carolyn said I could respond.(whew!) Frankly, I am very curious what did happen as we have had very good response with the Virus series of airplanes. I have a 280 and a Virus 400A in my personal stable. (I have tested all the others of course!) They have been through the wringer with no problems. I have hit my share of obstacles and done a lot of aerobatics...even a few figure 9's!

If there is a defect we want to know! Besides, what we sell is fun and if someone we sold a product to is not happy, I'm not happy.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal