HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Question
39% Install

I just bought a used 39% 540T with a fiberglass fuselage. It hasn't been flown in 5 or 6 years. Lots of servos, JR 8411's all around. 4 on rudder, 6 on alerons 4 on elevator. It is still on 72mhz. What receiver set up would you suggest? I have A123's to use, 2 on receiver and 1 on ignition. Where would you locate the receiver. I've look thru the install thread but didn't see anything this large or with a fiberglass fuse.

Thanks, John
Nitroholic is offline Find More Posts by Nitroholic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:28 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,491 Posts
Are you using matchboxes for the surfaces?

Any of our receivers will work, providing you have enough channels.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply, it does have match boxes in place right now, I have 8 channel XPS rec'vr units as you probably know. It has a smoke system also, not sure yet if I would need a 10 channel rec'vr. I only have 9303 Transmitters but could if necessary go to sometime with more channels. Do you think adding a second rec'vr would good?

Thanks, John
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,491 Posts
A second receiver is not necessary, but you could do that if you like. I fly my 35% Hangar 9 Extra 260 with our 6 channel Nano-E receiver, so our 8 channel would work fine your applicaiton.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:14 PM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Thanks Jim, where are you locating the receiver? Right now the location of the 72mhz receiver is buried on the bottom of the fuselage, I plan to at least put a tray up high and maybe even have it exposed in the canopy/cockpit behind the pilot.

John
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:06 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,491 Posts
I put our receivers in the turtle deck or inside of the pilot, up high and out of the way as possible. For installations where this is impossible, we have used our sailplane receiver and ran the antenna to the top of the canopy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Thanks Jim,

Lots of room on the turtle deck. How do you wire/configure a dual receiver setup?

John
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:58 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,491 Posts
You must have v3.0 or later firmware. If you do, then download our v3.x manual. There is detailed information on how to do the binding process for multiple receivers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:14 PM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thanks, got all that. Didn't realize it was in there. Will it show how to wire them?

John
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:15 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
Just from a safety point of view, wouldn't it be a good idea to put some of those servos on a second (or third) receiver with its own battery? That way if you lose a battery or a receiver you would still have half of the servos working? I guess this would only work if you had the control surfaces split so that the working half wouldn't be fighting the frozen half. Or am I totally off the mark with these thoughts?

Also isn't there a built in matching function in the newer and bigger receivers? Each servo would of course need its own channel connection, but I thought I remembered talk of this once upon a time.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 09, 2010, 04:30 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,491 Posts
You wire the receivers just as you normally would. You can set the channel mapping so that any channel appears on any receiver port output.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:09 PM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Do most people split up the control surfaces ie: alierons from one wing on one receiver and the other wing on a different receiver and rudder on one receiver and the evelator on a different receiver? etc.

Thanks, John
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:49 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,491 Posts
Some people do that. I have always run just a single receiver in everything except our F-15, where we needed 14 channels (duplicates of some channels were used).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
Thanks for all the help/comments.

John
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:34 AM
Joined Jul 2005
56 Posts
I've got all the matchboxes setup and am using dual receivers. Left Alieron, right elevator half and 2 of the 4 rudder servos on one receiver. The opposite for the second receiver ----- now for my questions - What about the throttle? Can I put in a Y harness and run one throttle servo off two receivers? Can I daisy chain the power (battery packs) to the receivers ie:
A123 in the B/T port on one receiver, a jumper from the 8th channel to the second receivers B/T port and then an A123 in the 8th channel of the second receiver?

Thanks, John