HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:53 AM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh36 aka TRON View Post
hello anyone out there can give me a setup for an SB5 and a setup for my KO PROPO Esprit 3 Universe for my bike i cant get it to stay up PLEASE!!!!! HELP
first thing to check is your steering servo direction. remember that bikes countersteer - right is left and left is right.

refer to page 14 of the instruction manual.
http://mms.tiger.tw/upload/upload_fi...JD7379_SB5.pdf
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:48 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
Can someone tell if there are (or were?) two different SB-5 tire insert sets?
I`m asking this because at the Worlds I got a set from Gregor which were shiny and black and quite hard to the feel, and recently got another set (same part number) from Willi (rcracepro.at) and they are grey, not shiny, and feel softer to the touch. I can only compare the fronts since I have not used the front one from the first set yet. I have used the "worlds" rear inside a PMT100 tire and it feels rightly hard with no deflections of the tire, whatsoever.

Any insight, anyone?
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:55 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,103 Posts
Yes the soft where the first inserts produced, I thought they never made it into
the enduser channels, because the Team rejected them.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:28 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
I just got me a TT SB5, last night, locally!
So... before starting the build, and after having thoroughly read this and the other SB5 threads, can someone verify the word on shock oils? I mean... is it 1000 and 3000 WT or CST?
What would be the equivalent in Xray oils, for example? I would guess something around 300-450wt Xray would work, or not?

I also got me a front brake kit and a 1015 servo. As for power source, I guess I will have to do with my XERUN 120A and maybe my touring car 5.5T motor from my Xray T1FK05, now that there is no TC racing till January!
I will also try the 17.5T with no front brake at some time, to see how it would go with the 2011 Worlds Stock reg...
I`m going to order two spare wheels and two PMT tires, as well!
I have my Futaba FF3/Corona radio gear ready, complete with 3ch 2.4Ghz Rx, mixing and all the stuff, too!
So far... just reading the manual and browsing through the kit bags!!!
I guess it`s going to be a fun procedure to build/prep the bike!
I will have my exper painter friend to give me a good design on the fairing, and I will probably get me another rider/fairing set for bashing/testing...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:35 AM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
92 Posts
What is the color combination of shock springs (soft to hard) ??
Appel82 is offline Find More Posts by Appel82
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:44 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
I've not opened any bags yet!

Edit: re-reading this thread, the spring chart is in the first two pages.
Last edited by steliosh; Dec 18, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:42 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
Re: my previous post on oils... I just did some reading of a current Xray catalog and their oils are measured in CST. So, I guess I'll have to visit my Xray friends and get me some oils tomorrow morning, since I only have Xray oils ranging from 300-450 cst; using these in my TC shocks...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2009
73 Posts
we use 35 wt oil front with red spring and 30 wt oil rear with white spring you will find spring from a 1/10 car fits,steering spring work ok but only use one o ring in each not 2 and some 15 wt oil work the shock first. one thing that will help you is the long front forks( a must!!!)
steve croston is offline Find More Posts by steve croston
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
I once beat Colin McCabe
Southport, England
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
We have had a small delivery of SB-5 parts in the last few days so check the website....
http://www.formbymodelshop.com/thund...ades-101-c.asp

Unfortunately, we still have not received any rims but we have got steering spring sets, suspension spring sets, (option) hubs, inserts and more.

Regards,
Phil
Squidlips is offline Find More Posts by Squidlips
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:14 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
A-ha! And I was going to ask what the longer "forks" and swing arm plates do offer?!
I guess I will build the bike with standard parts and see where it leads me from there...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:55 AM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
92 Posts
I don't see any info on the springkitt chart in the first two pages??
Appel82 is offline Find More Posts by Appel82
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:08 AM
I once beat Colin McCabe
Southport, England
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
A-ha! And I was going to ask what the longer "forks" and swing arm plates do offer?!
I guess I will build the bike with standard parts and see where it leads me from there...
The longer fork legs are about 5mm longer and give a little more ground clearance and get the weight further 'into' the corner to enable even faster corner speed and stability.

I would recommend you build the bike and run it stock first so that you have something to compare to - you might even just want to leave it standard!

Don't forget, I ran mine at its first ever meeting earlier in the year (Skipton National round) and qualified in pole. And that was straight out of the box - no hop ups and no front brake
Squidlips is offline Find More Posts by Squidlips
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:41 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,103 Posts
I sometimes have the feeling the SB5 works best without a front brake
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:19 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
OK, so... last night I built my SB-5!

In fact, since this is my Xmas present from Mrs Wife, she demanded that after I build it, it will be placed under the Christmas tree, not run it till Xmas eve! Oh well! Anyway, I still have not done the bodywork...

The kit went together extremely easily in about two and a half hours. Half of it was spent building the 6 shocks! Despite my concerns that the oil recommended would be very hard, when finally on the bike it all seemed "proper", by pushing the suspension systems on the kitchen table (another "offer" by the kind Mrs Wife!). I used Xray 1000cst, RB 3000cst and Xray 350cst respectively.

A few random notes, so far, then: As I said, the build was like a Tamiya TT01, very easy, instructions accurate enough, everything was there etc.
I managed to BREAK an e-clip (easily sourced another one from my other bike and car spares)...
I already bought a front brake kit, so I installed that too. Thanks to the instructions by Torrance, previously posted in this thread.
I installed a DS1015 servo. I have a concern that my Xerun ESC might not fit under it, when fitted with a fan. I have not installed any electronics, except for the two servos.
I made the small steering shocks with one o-ring each, but it seems the 350cst oil quite heavy. I will try it and maybe lower the cst in these...

I was amazed at the nicely thought out engineering that went in making this kit, as well as the thought of adding two servo extension leads, since the receiver will be mounted in the rearmost point of the bike (one is included with the front brake kit, actually). It makes for a very sturdy and flex-free bike! Excellent work in the whole, Torrance!!!! Amazing!

Finally... on pushing the suspension on the table, I realized I will have to redo the rear shocks! ARggggggggggh! They make a nice fleeeeech-fleeeech sound when pushed! LOL

My kids (and Mrs. Wife) on the completed bike (sans bodywork, remember) they christened it the Transformer's bike!!!!! hehe!

I am ordering some PMT tires, and while waiting for them, I will build the bodywork. I can see it's quite a mission, but I DO have patience!!!!

Pics to follow, shortly!
The major problem is to find a shelf to store it, near the other 9 bikes!!!!
Shelfs in my room started to get too crowded!!!

Oh... there's one more thing missing, now: A red and black Team shirt!!!!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:45 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,248 Posts
Just to make the point serious:

(And not showing, on the floor are: a Ricky Honda and two Firestorms!!!)