HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Hello fellow SB5 fanatics. Ive read through this post and have updated to the swingarm box (thanks Edi) and have set the bike up as per this thread. Wish to thank Steliosh and Edi Winter for there input to this thread. Bruce at 2 wheel hobbies and everyone else that has given an opinion. Finally got all the goodies on the bike last night and went to the local shops for a blast. Bike handled awesome. Was able to drive out the corners and hold the slide nicely. Then a crazy d@#k in a SUV decided to run over my pride and joy. The crunching noise was ARRRR its F@#*#D. Went over and picked it up and what the.... Only broke the slider wheels (already ordered the allelevens the other day) and crushed the front of the body, got a spare. Scratched the forks and filled the axle screwhead with asphalt. I must say guy's. THIS BIKE IS AWESOME. Even a SUV driven by a blind bloke running over it cannot stop it. Thanks again for all the info..... Cheers Ash.
ash_rsvr1000 is offline Find More Posts by ash_rsvr1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_rsvr1000 View Post
hello fellow sb5 fanatics. Ive read through this post and have updated to the swingarm box (thanks edi) and have set the bike up as per this thread. Wish to thank steliosh and edi winter for there input to this thread. Bruce at 2 wheel hobbies and everyone else that has given an opinion. Finally got all the goodies on the bike last night and went to the local shops for a blast. Bike handled awesome. Was able to drive out the corners and hold the slide nicely. Then a crazy d@#k in a suv decided to run over my pride and joy. The crunching noise was arrrr its f@#*#d. Went over and picked it up and what the.... Only broke the slider wheels (already ordered the allelevens the other day) and crushed the front of the body, got a spare. Scratched the forks and filled the axle screwhead with asphalt. I must say guy's. This bike is awesome. Even a suv driven by a blind bloke running over it cannot stop it. Thanks again for all the info..... Cheers ash.
epic!!!!
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
Multirotor Feen
United States, NJ, Galloway
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts
HELP!!!! I just bought a used one of ebay. I tried to run it yesterday. It takes off and shakes like crazy. Is that something with the bike or with the way my radio is setup? It wont run 10 feet without shaking and/or flipping over.
satttheman is offline Find More Posts by satttheman
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:55 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,727 Posts
Make sure you have the steering set up properly (turn the steering left, front wheel moves right...) and make sure the tires are glued... unglued, or improperly glued tires can make for a shaky bike... as the bike speeds up, the tires peel away from the rim and can cause it to shake violently
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:11 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
I may also be an issue with the steering springs and or the dampners...

There will be heaps of info through out this thread...

But as a starting point, I'd be doin this...
Remove the steering dampners...
Check the steering for any binding or exsessive play... If that's ok...
Re-fit the dampners...
Check they aren't binding on the suspension as they move through their range... If that's lookin good...
Check that the dampners move all the way through their travel smoothly, often they can be quite rough, and stick, if they haven't been assembled correctly...
Check the amount of free play in the springs, opinions vary how to set it up at this piont...

Personally I only have one full of oil, standard springs with 3mm shims against the outer spring... That also depends on your servo, as to it's length and so forth...

If this all checks out fine... Then check your radio settings... Basically you want the steering to react pretty slowly... Not super fast like a touring car set up...

That's just a quick starting point... Failing all that... Someone that knows what they're talkin about will chime in and give you the right info...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:15 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
Also, the steering head bearings? Are they in good condition and with no slope?
the steering head should not move either up and down or left-right/front-back...
Then spin with your hand the front wheel: Is it true?
Remove the belt from the rear wheel and spin that too...
Both wheels should spin freely for a minute or so and be completely free...
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:33 AM
Multirotor Feen
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts
thx guys!!! i still have the problem but so far i rebuilt the steering dampers twice. i just put 20wt in both. is that good? i check the head bearings next. and i turn my servo speed down. it came with a hitec 322 servo is that strong enough? i never even heard of it until i got this bike, its only like 50oz. of torque.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:16 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
try one steering damper empty, one with (well, this is what works for me!) Xray 300cst, or a very light oil anyway.

Both with the same springs (I like it with orange springs).
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
From memory (which isn't real good) my SB5 did the same thing the first time I used it... After a bit stuffin about, I put two 3 mm spacers, one on each dampner, between the spring and the black plastic ball cup... Just enough to give the springs a tiny amount of pre-load... With out that, it just slapped from side to side alot...

Remember the spring length, or spacer length, will vary depending on your servo position...
As I said... I have my bike set up with just enough pre-load to take away free play in the springs...

Hope that helps...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:20 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
I agree with what Lukey said. It's vital!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
Multirotor Feen
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey B View Post
From memory (which isn't real good) my SB5 did the same thing the first time I used it... After a bit stuffin about, I put two 3 mm spacers, one on each dampner, between the spring and the black plastic ball cup... Just enough to give the springs a tiny amount of pre-load... With out that, it just slapped from side to side alot...

Remember the spring length, or spacer length, will vary depending on your servo position...
As I said... I have my bike set up with just enough pre-load to take away free play in the springs...

Hope that helps...
thx! ill try the i need to get some spacers.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:09 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Antena tube... Chuppa chupp stick... Anythin will do...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
435 Posts
Bump someone was looking for this thread, please try to post all sb5 related material here so it is easy to find.

Cheers

Gecko
Gecko Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Gecko Hunter
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
435 Posts
Bump
Gecko Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Gecko Hunter
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Sep 2006
406 Posts
Has anyone tried to convert the forks with upside down forks?
deeh_46 is offline Find More Posts by deeh_46