SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
148 Posts
Yeah I don't really want to modify the bike.. Did TT design the bike to use the servo as a down travel limiter or is this just an unintentional design flaw? If it's designed like this on purpose I suppose I'll just trust them and let it be...

Also this must be the case for every single SB5 so I'm wondering what everyone is doing about it? Or how is it dealt with on the SB5 RTR?
norco kid is offline Find More Posts by norco kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:56 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
I don;t know about the design... I have only figured that if you install a servo (specifically the 1251, since it's only one of two servos I've used, read below) with the thick spacers, then the downtravel of the suspension arms is stopped... Even if you dremel some of the lower suspension arm, there's still rubbing or stopping...
I cannot recall what happened with the Ace DS1015, which I first installed, because after a while I sent that fried (due to my fault) servo to TT in Germany and they declared it dead, so I never got it back. However, I do know that the DS1015 (a full size servo) was mounted with no spacers, in order to get that "17mm" horn height, so I GUESS it allowed full travel of the arms.
Speaking of the Savox 1251 low profile, I had it mounted with thick spacers front and rear, in order to get those 17mm... Now without the rear spacer, the top of the servo is at 15.5mm approximately.
In my opinion and I may be TOTALLY WRONG on this, the 17mm horn height was there for a simple reason: So that the steering shock springs do not touch the front of the upper arm and interfere with the freedom of steering movement.
The bike, as built from the kit, is an excellent racing vehicle, in every aspect and needs some fine tuning here and there, applied on its adjustable parts, to be easily driveable by every kind of driver and power system used...
In the end... you will never see two identically set up bikes, and this applies to EVERY make of rc bikes!
I am not defending TT or the SB-5 in any way... I have paid fully for the bike and a ton of spares and options, so I am speaking very freely.
The knowledge base on this particular bike is extremely big as you can see in this and other national fora...

Edit: One more thought, 10 minutes later!
I have the "weird" habit of taking pics of almost every bike at the races... So, back at home, I study each and every one and then I see "small" things that other racers have done... And it's not only my photos... I follow closely pics and videos from almost every rc bike forum I can find, be it German, Spanish, Italian or whatever! Most of the times I just save the pic and take notes...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Last edited by steliosh; Oct 08, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: one more thought...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:59 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
On another note, a few months ago, I asked from friends around the world to help/show me how to make the SB-5 slimmer...
Having gathered all the info, and after experiencing the "new slim bike" at the RC Bike Worlds, this year, I wrote a small essay (in Greek, I'm afraid!) and posted it at my friends' Greek rc-news site www.rcdevil.gr
Here's the article: http://www.rcdevil.gr/2012/10/08/mon...teres-kliseis/
This is the full article with pics from the people I asked for help!
You can use a translator and give it a try on how Greek is translated to your local language!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
well after severa weeks of playing with it in car parks etc, Im finally going to get to run it round a track this weekend

I know what my laptimes were there last time I raced, so I at least have a guide to see if Im quicker with the SB5 than with my old KP

just hope it stays dry as I havent a chance in the wet LOL
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:18 AM
modeldrive
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
have a kp 11 just got into bike racing bike turn good at low speeds but when l am going fast and whet to turn life or right itso slow l have o come off the speed jim
modedrive is offline Find More Posts by modedrive
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Sunshine Coast
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Dutch troubleshooting!

Chickentrader is offline Find More Posts by Chickentrader
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post

ROFL
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:52 AM
100% _Maybe
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
314 Posts
Well it's 11.40 pm and I've just finished getting the bike ready for tomorrow night. The things we do!

Steliosh thanks for all the information I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with the SB5. I took some things onboard from your post on the previous page. I've installed a limiter and have the bike at 32mm from the battery to the ground when lifting the front. I have 27mm from battery to ground at the front and rear as the bike sits. I am courious if this sounds right?

Other thing is I only had 3000 cst so used that front and rear shocks with orange springs. I did open the piston holes just a little. It feels ok. Using two hole three dot piston ( I am not sure what the dots mean). I removed the spaces from the servo and had to dremel just a little. Using a savox also but I have a different set up with steering rod and springs on one side and a damper fixed to a bracket on the other. I have been using this set up and it works well for me. I also installed modifed headset with set screws.Tomorrow I hope to install the new light scale swingarms.
I also have the aluminum hub set with the weights installed at the stage. See how it goes tomorrow night!
Rob1o1 is offline Find More Posts by Rob1o1
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
Let's hope you dont come Saturday night swearing!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
RC Bike Starting Stand!

It's not SB-5 specific, but... I had been seeing these things being used at the Worlds I have attended (OK, the only races I ever raced!) so I had to make one too!
I visited my local DIY woodwork shop, bike in hand (I answered all TradeMarked questions from shop owners and customers, the usual stuff!) we did some measuring, after I explained what I wanted and five minutes later I was presented with 4 pieces of wood!
I screwed a few screws on them, pasted a few stickers and presto!

Shown also is the pic I showed to the guys there! It's Andrea Selva's bike at Riccione RC Bike Worlds, on Thomas Feilner's standing stand!

Oh and the cost: 2.50 euros for the wood pieces...

To be thoroughly tested at my local track tomorrow!!!!!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
349 Posts
Starting out of the box.....not a big deal.........if you manage to park your bike inside the box backwards.......i will quit
Clark Wohlert is offline Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:16 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
haha!!!
I have not tested it yet!!!! It just might push the box backwards and the bike spin in the same place!
Will that do?!!!
But... tomorrow I will try to park it backwards...
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
Good news, Clark! I can't park the bike backwards in the box! God, I tried so hard!!!!!!
So, you can sleep safe tonight: You dont quit!!!!!!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
Good news, Clark! I can't park the bike backwards in the box! God, I tried so hard!!!!!!
So, you can sleep safe tonight: You dont quit!!!!!!
LoL
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:50 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Hahaha, I need to see that!!!!!!!!!!!
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos