Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
Love the mailman, don't you?!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Apr 2007
466 Posts
Nice one stelios!...........when do you arrive in riccione?....
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:33 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
Wed. 22, August... my boat arrives at Ancona around 10am, so I guess by noon, I will be there... Straight to the track, then in the evening at the hotel!
Ancona is about 110km (65-70miles) south...
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:40 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
Ran 5 more batteries in this hot August day! It was 34-38C...
I carefully shaved the soft edge from my front tires and suddenly no more "tucking" inside the exit of the corners!
After some use, the edge reappeared, changed the front wheel to a "shaved" one and back on track!
I enjoyed the bike, ran 24's all day, but since I was alone, I think I was not pushing that hard and fast...
Anyway, I keep doing laps after laps, I can do entire 11-12 minutes without a single crash, and that's quite comforting...
I am using all my old batteries, which despite giving me some big Ohm readings after charging, they still perform quite well... Good enough for practising...
I also went up one notch on the steering springs (blue, while previously I had whites and greens), and now I have a more responsive front end...
I managed to grind a set of crashbars, so I made a couple of new ones (can someone bring two meters of that "magic" 5mm crashbar with them, please, so we can endure the coming winter?!) and the bike is all set!
Leaving for the seaside home for 4 days, so no more practising until next week. I m taking the bike with me to do a new lexan/rider combo and give to my gifted painter, so I have a new bodyshell at the Worlds, and also to service the entire bike properly while the family will splash in the sea!
Life is good again, then!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:53 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,396 Posts
Pics of your shaved front tire?
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
sorry Kevin... Right after I wrote this I left with the family for 4 days of vacation, so it will wait until next monday... sorry!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:02 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
sorry Kevin... Right after I wrote this I left with the family for 4 days of vacation, so it will wait until next monday... sorry!
No worries. Enjoy.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
It seems my son had his camera along,so here are a couple of pics!
On the left is a tire used for maybe 30-40 batteries...
On the right a same one but with the edge shaved (not soooooooooo carefully!)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
this weekend I agreed to buy a 2nd hand SB5 as a step up from my old KP bike for racing here in the UK, just occured to me that all my wheels etc are the alloy ones, how/where do I get a rear hub or adaptor etc to run my alloy wheels

thanks
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:24 AM
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jun 2011
101 Posts
Such as this should fit nicely.
http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1163
snesladd is online now Find More Posts by snesladd
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6 Posts
Hi a great time running my sb5 and fm1 today both bikes are very good
carl jr is offline Find More Posts by carl jr
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
Ran a few batteries at my local track yesterday...
Nothing to see/check, really, just practising my fingers, now...
I did experiment a bit with steering shock springs...
Blue ones (middle hardness) are a bit "too" lazy to steer, especially when on the throttle or part throttle and slow/med speed chicanes...
The orange springs were a bit too "fast" for my liking, meaning I had to lower the ATV too much. There's a fine point around 45-50% of ATV that lower than 45% is almost blue-like lazy and around 48-50% it starts tucking the front wheel underon fast corner exits when leaned to the crashbars...

Next to experiment was removing the oil from one of the steering shocks -for the first time, after having read in this forum and heard in person about it...
Revelation!
With blue springs, it was JUST as quick as I liked, the front does not tuck under and the bike is a joy to drive for 10-12 minutes without a single crash!
On Tuesday and Thursday, I may go back to the track to practice a bit more...
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
ok I am hoping that one of you SB5 experts can save me a little time

I now have the bike, and Im trying to work out what to look at first with it.

I read about the swingarm box part, this isnt too much a problem for me I think as I will be running with silvercan stock class here in the UK

what about the longer fork legs and longer swingarm plates, have they got a proven track record?

I am going to buy a set of roadies for it, and also been looking at the steering setup, mine doesnt have the nice free moving setup like my KP does, I can hold my kp and shake steering side to side freely while holdnig the back of the bike, has anyone done away with the dampers and just run springs like on a KP?

are there any spares that you advise I should deffo be carrying, I dont have a model shop for many many miles, everything is mail order and theres no shop or dealer trackside anymore.
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:41 AM
100% _Maybe
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
300 Posts
Hi AC. I am no expert, that's for sure.... and i am also interested in the swingarm box, either the one from shapeway or an aluminium one.

What I can comment on are the other things you mentioned. My bike was second hand and it needed a bit of work. I had set my steering up like edi.winter's photo on page 5 of this thread with two springs one on the left and right side of the servo horn. It worked fine. I was at the track and scaulfi who is also on here pointed out what you have said about having free steering. so I put the steering link on one side only with a spring in front and behind. Have loved it since! I could sterring the bike so much better. I also tried with a steering damper on one side (not attached to the servo horn, but a bracket) but I took it off. I don't think the SB5 dampers are smooth enough so I need to work on the damper. I’ll try it again in a fornight.

With the fork legs I was running standard. On Friday night for the third heat I put on the longer legs that I got from TWH. Great! I found the cornering was better for me and I also was able to shorten up the crash bars.

I got given a belt tensioner by some of the guys on here. That made a difference and the belt hasn't slipped again. Although the wheel is still slightly pulled to one side… maybe the box will fix this.
I bought a few spares as well like steering and shock spring set, to give me some options. Rebuild kits for the shocks. Belt. Pulley set and gears. I haven’t broken a single thing…yet… and I have crash a lot. I’ve seen someone break two wheel spokes in the last two meetings. They are cheap so maybe a set of two of them.
The rest I am still working out. But there is plenty of info in this thread.
Rob1o1 is offline Find More Posts by Rob1o1
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
Myself being a frequent crasher, I would suggest wheel hubs (even though I converted mine to an aluminum hub/glassfiber rear hub from Marino's OLP).
also, I have broken a steering shock shaft once (after 1.5 years, and it was in October at Riccione! Edi saved my poor a$$ then, and gave me a shaft. since then I bought a steering set to have).

I can't comment on setups, though, since each one goes with what suits them.
I've only ran the bike in Worlds Stock form (17.5T in 2011, 13.5T this year and next), which means adding a 1mm lead around the battery box and small car tyre leads around the chassis, as low as possible, to reach the minimum weight of the reg's (I am at 1905-1925 depending on tire wear! They get LIGHTER as they wear!!!)

I have emptied one of the steering shocks, kept the other with 350cps oil, plus a means of reducing the steerring triples throw... Eliminated front tire wear AND the dreadful tucking of the front wheel in fast corner-full lean exits. These are what you would need in my opinion, though I'm not that expert: 22nd this year, and as I said: I crash A LOT!).

I have made the bike narrower, using Clark's curved front chassis plates and ideas from various racers shown a couple of pages back. I was grinding the lower fairing very easily when trying very short scratchbars/high lean angles. However, Andrea Selva's bike, for example, is going with even more lean angle and he was NOT grinding his lower fairing! I watched carefully at the Worlds (he finished 3rd Stock). In my case, narrowing the lower of the bike was the solution...
You definitely need a swing arm box (I am using Edi's) and a belt tensioner (I am using Clark's Lightscale swing arm plates).
Before going to a belt tensioner, I have chewed a couple of belts. After that, none...

In the end, all we need are practised hands... Stefan Polydor was able to run an RTR SB-5 with some mod motor and finish second in one A-final at the Worlds, having borrowed the bike right before THAT final!!!!