3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Just to make my point a bit more clear:

Okay then get the kit carbon fork legs: They do not fit the RTR Triples
because they are further apart than on the kit bike. Then you will also have
to buy the headstock of the Kit bike then you will find the triples dont fit
that and get the kit triples because the RTR doesnt have steeringbearings
and then you need the steeringpivot. .....I just checked: all the parts together
will be approx. 140,- ($175,-) .. just to have the Carbon fork legs.

You want the Carbon Chassis Plates: dont forget to order the carbon crashbarholders
the Chassis bushings and the plastic crashbarbits: 140,- again...

That alltogether is close to the kit SB5 price...299,-..

EDIT:The SBkit brake fits on the RTR the info I wrote before wasnt right .
Ya, I understand what your saying. Again, VERRRRY $%^#@en Dissapointing. . I LOVE my SB5 but this information sucks. Bad.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
Ya, I understand what your saying. Again, VERRRRY $%^#@en Dissapointing. . I LOVE my SB5 but this information sucks. Bad.
Please dont misunderstand: A SB5 RTR is a great bike for learning I just
wanted to point out that its not a good idea hopping it up. Further only hopping
up the bike on one point will start ruining the other (weaker) original parts.
A carbon rear swingarm will tear the plasic middle chassis up in no time.
The weakest parts (links) of a chain will then start falling apart.
When you leave it as it is, it is close to indestructable and will work fine for
a long time.
Just a little maths (I am bored): turning a RTR into a Kit SB5 costs approx. EUR 600-650,-
The cheaper way if youre not happy with the RTR anymore is to then buy a Kit SB5.....
you will need the 600,- to make that a top performer over time anyway...
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,520 Posts
I just didn't do my research. I'm past the "learning stage" as I have been into bikes since 2004. I just didn't know that the RTR version was so un upgradable (because of the un-interchangable parts to the race version) I should have just bought the $300.00 race version and put my own electronics in. I didn't know. It is frustrating that they don't interchange without buying MUCH more $ worth of parts!

SB-5 Fail............ BUT SB-5 WIN is its "race" version. I just didn't know.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,520 Posts
Sold the rtr....ready to buy sb5 pro...anyone selling ?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
I made it slim!

Well... I managed to make the SB-5 slim, down there...
Of course it needs to be tested, now... Hopefully at our next TC National race, at Patra, next Sunday.

So... First I got the curved front chassis plates from Clark. Then, I got myself a huge 0.75 lexan sheet (about 1.5 X 1.5 meters for 6.50 euros!) and then I started cutting!

I first cut my green RTR body, which was already battered, and then the "good" body, I used at the Warm up.

The most trouble I had, honestly, was bending the lexan around an old battery, using Mrs Wife's hairdryer at the warmest possible setting, and then making the holes for the body posts correct, so the lower fairing would be snug around the bottom of the battery.

For body posts, I took the ideas of Franck Brunet and Ludovic Chaveau, who kindly sent me pics of Ludo's bike. I also used the idea of Rolf, and of course Bernhard's, but since I was going with the Lighscale curved carbon plates, I could better use the other ideas, since I also wanted to keep a clean area on the side of the fairing for the sponsors.

Here's how it looks now: I intently left the upper part of the lower fairing unpainted, so I can show my well painted upper fairing through it. I also left the upper fairing quite large, so that I keep the logos and all...
I will order a new transparent bodyshell, which I will have my friend NicAnd paint for the Worlds...

To do list: Install the front battery band post.
Oh. The body posts came from a set of five I had purchased last year for my KP bike, from Formby Models!

Out of curiosity, I weighed the bike: 1900 grams exactly. the only parts missing are two small bolts for the front rubberband mounting and the rubberbands themselves. And the tires right now are slicks, rather than treaded... ok...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
And a couple of frontal area pics:
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
650 Posts
looking very good!
If you lean it down now, you will notice that the toes of your driver now touch the ground first. I just dremeled them away

Edit: I tried to bend the lexan plate with heat as well, but did not get good results. I fix it between two pieces of wood, and bend it then.
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,520 Posts
You are not running a front break on your bike?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:47 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
650 Posts
Steliosh is running in the Stock class, no front brake allowed.
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
eggzaktly!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:22 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Nice!... Can I see a front view
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Nice!... Can I see a front view of the curved side plates? I haven't seen them yet although I've heard of them
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
give me a couple of hours to get back home! I'll take a couple of pics!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:16 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Here are some frontal pics:
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:21 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
I am plagued by low sidings! Yesterday I ran the bike with my new slimmer design at a new track, at Patras, where we had an Electric TC National race, between car heats.
At first I thought it was the servo (Savox 1251), then I replaced it with a cheapo HK low profile one, same thing. When leaned over in fast curves, the front tucks in, towards the inside of the turn, taking the whole bike with it, ending in the inside grass usually. If I brake VERY hard, and destabilize the bike, I may manage to create a crash and keep it off the grass...
It did it also, when I had the rear wheel axle at the fourth position (almost longest wheelbase), but not so much, once in a while only... With the rear wheel axle at the most forward position it's something you have to take care of, by slowing alot before each fst curve, not leaning the bike to the crashbars...
The track had a very good traction, unlike my local track which usually has med to min traction...
I will try the upper most forward position tomorrow, at my local track. Maybe lowering the rear makes any sense?
I have long front fork arms, and my caster angle is upper (**_) lower (_**) looking at the right side of the bike. (Look above, my second pic)
Any ideas, then?!
Last edited by steliosh; Jul 02, 2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: changed the fork angle. Photo above shows correct.