HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Well, I mucked up my Youtube account somehow and can't get my vids to upload to it. this link shows me running my SB5 on a carpet track near me. Unfortunately I had my PMT 200 tires on the bike to experiment with thinking I might be able to get them to work, but I never was able to because with the tire traction compound I was using the tires got so sticky they picked up all the bits of rubber and junk on the track that I could only get 3 or4 laps in before they were ball bearings. I tried to clean them off with soap and water and motor spray but they just kept picking up junk. A few minutes before they closed the track I threw on my "kit' rear tire just to try to get some laps in , but I left the PMT 200 on the front. The front was really loose, but here's a couple short vids on my facebook page , just scroll down a bit to the 2 vids. The one vid is neat cause it shows the bike's front tire skating out at the end of the straight and after the chicane on the left end of the track and the other vid I get some pretty good laps in but I had to drive so causously(sp) with that front end so loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qquxk3LcLvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EuEiVOGE3Q
JUST ORDERED SOME PMT 100's from Bruce to test with!
TopDave is online now Find More Posts by TopDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:15 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2005
218 Posts
I'm finally back in the game! Just purchased a RTR! Was trying to get the kit but am happy to at least get one!

So far from reading this thread, the tires need an upgrade first it looks like.
SAL45 is offline Find More Posts by SAL45
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:40 PM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL45 View Post
I'm finally back in the game! Just purchased a RTR! Was trying to get the kit but am happy to at least get one!

So far from reading this thread, the tires need an upgrade first it looks like.
yes
edi.winter is online now Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:48 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
Has anyone actully run the stock tires? I changed mine straight away to pmt as everybody said I should do, but they kind of felt quite sticky, and if your not racing maybe they would be ok. My pmt tires seemed to have gone off as the bike has sat there for over a year not being run and they feel like hard plastic now checked the old kit tires in the box and they feel so much better
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:01 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco View Post
Has anyone actully run the stock tires? I changed mine straight away to pmt as everybody said I should do, but they kind of felt quite sticky, and if your not racing maybe they would be ok. My pmt tires seemed to have gone off as the bike has sat there for over a year not being run and they feel like hard plastic now checked the old kit tires in the box and they feel so much better
Hi Steve,
Try some WD40 to soften and clean, then apply tire traction compound and let set on the PMT's for 30 minutes or so. Re-apply if needed. Worked good on a TT-E that I bought on Ebay.

I've only run my kit tires on carpet, but on carpet they seem much better than the PMT 200's I've been trying to get to work! Good luck!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
also try spraying some brake cleaner on a rag and rub with it the tire surface...
it's renovating.
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,194 Posts
For something less toxic, try cleaning them with straight Simple Green -- it takes off most of the dead layer of rubber and leaves them nice and sticky.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
356 Posts
hi all,

well, when i restarted biking last summer, by mistake it applied the kit tyres to the rims, thinking those where the pmt tyres i allready bought.

wondering about the bad performance a friend found my mistake and i changed the tyres then, which ended in 3,5seconds better laptimes.

the kit tyres..........i would not use the the rubber to make a bathing cap out of it

using a tyre opens the structure of the compound. running in the tyre carefully makes sense for cars but as the bike tyres do not heat up too much, running them in makes no real sense.
but anyway, after a year without using them, they off course become harder as the softener gets lost through the opened compound.

please do NEVER spray them with brake cleaner. in the first moment they might feel sticky then but brake cleaner certainly harms the tyres by making them even harder in the end.

to soften them again, tyre additives may help. my personal experience with additives on bike tyres show that you have to use it different then you may be used to with car tyres.
Clark Wohlert is online now Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert
Last edited by Clark Wohlert; Jan 10, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:38 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Wohlert View Post
hi all,

well, when i restarted biking last summer, by mistake it applied the kit tyres to the rims, thinking those where the pmt tyres i allready bought.

wondering about the bad performance a friend found my mistake and i changed the tyres then, which ended in a 3,5seconds better laptimes.

the kit tyres..........i would not use the the rubber to make a bathing cap out of it

using a tyre opens the structure of the compound. running in the tyre carefully makes sense for cars but as the bike tyres do not heat up too much, running them in makes no real sense.
but anyway, after a year without using them, they off course become harder as the softener gets lost through th opened compound.

please do NEVER spray them with brake cleaner. in the first moment they might feel sticky then but brake cleaner certainly harms the tyres by making them even harder in the end.

to soften them again, tyre additives may help. my personal experience with additives on bike tyres shoiw that you have to use it different then you may be used to with car tyres.

Thanks Clark, I am trying to run my bike on carpet this winter. Would you share your tecnique for cleaning and application of tire traction additives, even for pavement surfaced tracks? Short of running foam tires, do you have any suggestions of which tires or which additive might give me a little more traction on carpet? Thanks again.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:43 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
To be honest I never tried my bike on carpet. I would use foam tires.
If they are PMT100s or 200s try putting the tires in water for a hour
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
356 Posts
@topdave,

i do not have any experience with bikes on carpet or the pmt compount ( it is used for large scale cars in rain ) on carpet.

the pmt coumpound is a "non termical rubber". its purpose is to work without temperature. for this reason edi suggest to put it into water before using. that helps to make them sticky and to cool them down if you run in hot conditions on tarmac.

i would believe that the tyres do not get any temperature when used on carpet.

most of the common known tyre additives are oil based. the idea behind them is to let the structure of the compound grow and due to this effect enlarge the surface of the rubber and get more grip. compare that to a paper coffee filter. its survace is much larger than your eyes can see.

used with car tyres those additives work fine but in the first laps you have to get rid of the oil on the surface, which is easy to do with a car but a bad job with a bike.
so maybe you can use those kind of additives ( lissau, jack, paragon etc. ) but you should apply it hours before using the tyre.

or you try to get your hands on a modern kind of additive which work different. those may be damgerous to be used because their purpose is to destroy the cross linking of the compound and so soften the tyre and therefore use chemical substance that could harm your health, like for exapmle gr700 does.
Clark Wohlert is online now Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
To be honest I never tried my bike on carpet. I would use foam tires.
If they are PMT100s or 200s try putting the tires in water for a hour
Hi Edi, Yeah, The carpet seems to pull the moisture out of the tire and actually "polishes" or smooths the tire surface on my basement home little practice track (same carpet as the commercial track). The hobbyshop race track i'm running on seems to have alot of residual compound in the carpet itself, leftover from all the TC car traffic it gets. Amazingly to me, the kit tires work out best for me there because they don't seem to pick up the residual compound and become sticky like my PMT 200's do. The 200's get so sticky that they pick up all the fuzz and junk off the track surface, and become useless after 4 or 5 laps. I just ordered PMT 100's to test hoping they become less sticky than the 200's and better traction than the kit tires (especially at home).

So, when you soak the tires in water, do you not use soap or anything in the water. (Without giving any of your "race secrets" away to the competition, of course!!) LOL (You can PM me with the inside info,because I won't be able to come to Europe to race anytime in the near future!!)
Thanks for your input, Dave
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:24 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Wohlert View Post
... use chemical substance that could harm your health, like for exapmle gr700 does.
GR700 works, and its harmfull....
I have stopped using additives alltogether its just too much hassle.
Water works best for the X00 compounds... it doesnt work with the
0X0 Compounds they are different alltogether... but somehow we are
getting carried off here and going off topic ...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:33 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
Ok guys thanks for the info, I have used WD 40 on some of my old car tires and it has given them a new lease of life, maybe if I was to get a new belt and pullys and try to run it again the tires would soften up ?
Thanks
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
I have never used tire additives on a bike, even though I am familiar with them. Currently, at least last year, I used a couple of them during every race, on my Mod Touring Car (5.5T motor) and Greek RCGT (13.5T Nosram) series, along with "can" type MuchMore heaters. And then, as Clark said, I run the car a lap or two to "clean" the tyres, before settling for the start of the heat.
It helps them, dramatically, especially, if before applying the treatment and heating, I have cleaned them (rub with a brake cleaner soaked rag).

In my local track, and keeping in mind I do not race a bike, really, but only practice, I use the brake cleaner and rag system to clean my PMT200's before a run and it does make some difference. Usually, however, our tracks do not have great traction and this seems to work for me. Alas, at 90% of the times, I run stock bike, so maybe I don't put a big stress on the tires. I am still running my "Lostallo" tires, and two newer pairs, I made and ran first time in Riccione, in October.
Just this morning the good mailman brought me a couple of pairs of Clark's finest!
(http://www.clark-s.de/artikel/pmt/65...heck_bike.html)
These are to be tested in said conditions, starting maybe the coming Sunday, during our first RCGT race of the year...

I will test the water solution, too. I am very curious!!!
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh