SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:48 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,732 Posts
I've replaced the springs on my steering rods with fuel tubing... it's nice and responsive but maybe too much for a beginner.... I'll post a pic later for those that want to see...
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
Re SB5

Thank you.
I am going to try and tighten the springs up a bit at a time.
Will let you know results.
kanto is offline Find More Posts by kanto
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:29 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanto View Post
Thank you.
I am going to try and tighten the springs up a bit at a time.
Will let you know results.
i use both, the reason mainly is because the savox low profile servo's output shaft is shifted a few mills to the side more than genaral servos for some reason and the reach was longer but worked out well..
dragbikebam is online now Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
i use both, the reason mainly is because the savox low profile servo's output shaft is shifted a few mills to the side more than genaral servos for some reason and the reach was longer but worked out well..
I did the same thing
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanto View Post
Hello.
I have a Thunder Tiger SB5 RTR bike.
I run other bikes with Gyros.
Any advice on setting up stearing and tyres would be welcomed.????
Have a problem keeping upright and in line.
Greetings from New Zealand.
non gyro bikes are very much different than what your use to. the sb5 is very high performer and requires much speed to keep up strait. its like going from a trainer plane to a 3d plane is the best i can describe it..just keep at it and keep the speed up. like clay said also the best improvment is to intall a set of pmt 200 slick tires.... the stock tires mounted on the stock wheels will not give good performance at all and if its cold outside forget about it, like being on ice..
Last edited by dragbikebam; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:14 AM
SUPERBIKER
Belgium - Antwerpen -2070 zwijndrecht
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Re sb5 rtr

Hello Kanto,

...I also have here an brand new SB5 RTR-brushless. After some problems with belt skipping, i was able to run it for the first time now.
Yesterday evening, I give the RTR the first run. It was very cold, windy, dark, etc at my local "mc donalds" parking.
Unfortunately what a big surprise, what a big positive feeling. I run it with the standard set "TX" with steering dual rate at the mininum range, standard plastic wheels and tyres.
I was only able to run from 0 speed to mid speed.
Yes, when you lowered the speed, the bike is unstable (choose his direction by himself). But once running on some speed the bike feels very light on the track, nice balance between left and right, etc...
I like it also to have it a little more stable on low speed. I will use softer springs on the steering dampers an if needed very light silicone oil, 100cps or so. with stronger springs, you will make the bike more sensitive, difficult to drive at low or lower speeds.
First I go setting up the bike in my bike TX with all set up programs, not present on that standard kit RTR kit.

On my rtr, the white springs are on the steeringdampers. You can buy a set of steeringsdamper with different colors/tension. Anyone here an idea the grade of tension of those springs/color?? what is the softest, which is the hardest??

So, I was not such a fan of that SB5 concept, but now, I join the club here.
superbiker is offline Find More Posts by superbiker
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,257 Posts
Long Forks

OK, I need some help! My SB5's lower fairing (battery cover) is dragging the right and left sides (not the bottom) at the very front of the cover, thru the corners. To try to help this I put 2 shock o'rings (about 3 mm's total) on the shock shafts to limit the down stroke of the front suspension. It still rubs.
Any of you experienced guys running the long forks with any success? If you are, what other changes did you have make in the setup to make them work? 10 mm's seems like a BIG change in the rake and ride height. I may put another limiter spacer in or maybe drill holes lower on the forks (being a very cheapazz lol)...Looks like I could pick up 4 or 5 mm's on the stock fork.
Thanks, Dave
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
966 Posts
dave, are you sure your steering servo is clearing the front suspension arms?...i noticed that when i mounted my servo with washers it was getting hung on it ..you should have enough travel not to drag the fairings...i have built two of these bikes and both had this issue.. i had to file the rear mounting screws at an angle in order to get the clearence and raises the bike to where it is suppost to be..im sure this is your issue because when you build the bike by the instuctions you would never known it was hanging up..remove your rear servo mounting screws and it will raise the frontend...loosen all four screws and push the servo forward as much as possible before you re-torque and file the screws. i think allot of people may have the same issue because every used bike i see for sale the front end is too low compared to mine, dont know what esc or servo your using but your servo may hit the top of your esc after doing this little mod so i hope your esc is small or you have a low profile servo..mike
Last edited by dragbikebam; Jan 06, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:37 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,871 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem, I shaved a bit of the frame and arm so it just cleared, I think they use a low profile servo.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
966 Posts
your stock ride height should look like this...the front of the lower fairing should actually be a little higher than the rear
Last edited by dragbikebam; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
Setting up SB5 RTR

Hello, lots of good advice from forum.
Will slowly try them all.
Have new tyres on order.
Hope for success.
Will let you all know results.
Cheers.:cool:
kanto is offline Find More Posts by kanto
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:23 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
dave, are you sure your steering servo is clearing the front suspension arms?...i noticed that when i mounted my servo with washers it was getting hung on it ..you should have enough travel not to drag the fairings...i have built two of these bikes and both had this issue.. i had to file the rear mounting screws at an angle in order to get the clearence and raises the bike to where it is suppost to be..im sure this is your issue because when you build the bike by the instuctions you would never known it was hanging up..remove your rear servo mounting screws and it will raise the frontend...loosen all four screws and push the servo forward as much as possible before you re-torque and file the screws. i think allot of people may have the same issue because every used bike i see for sale the front end is too low compared to mine, dont know what esc or servo your using but your servo may hit the top of your esc after doing this little mod so i hope your esc is small or you have a low profile servo..mike
Thanks Mike, I checked just to make sure with the servo mount screws and mines OK. My problem is the Sides of the lower fairing is rubbing the track in the turns. My "no sag" ride height is about 45 mm to the bottom front edge of the battery box and 42 at the rear. I have set the spring preloads so I have about 3 mm's of sag in the front and rear of the bike trying to find traction while running on a carpet track with rubber tires, which I'm finding is a challenge, lol. I'm starting to think I'm letting the bike lean over too far in the corners letting the bodywork drag. My bike will still stand back up if I have enough traction in the front, but I may be pushing the limit, and I may have to move my training wheels out a few mm's, but I like the turning radius on all these tight 180' turns...I guess ya can't have it all. THANKS
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
966 Posts
ok, i didnt know you were running so much sag..cool that your hooking up so well on carpet though..gotta love a run with no scratches afterwards which springs are you using (color),,you prob. would benefit with the long fork then.
Last edited by dragbikebam; Jan 06, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:25 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,257 Posts
>sorry , please delete
Last edited by TopDave; Jan 07, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:27 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,257 Posts
Well, I mucked up my Youtube account somehow and can't get my vids to upload to it. this link shows me running my SB5 on a carpet track near me. Unfortunately I had my PMT 200 tires on the bike to experiment with thinking I might be able to get them to work, but I never was able to because with the tire traction compound I was using the tires got so sticky they picked up all the bits of rubber and junk on the track that I could only get 3 or4 laps in before they were ball bearings. I tried to clean them off with soap and water and motor spray but they just kept picking up junk. A few minutes before they closed the track I threw on my "kit' rear tire just to try to get some laps in , but I left the PMT 200 on the front. The front was really loose, but here's a couple short vids on my facebook page , just scroll down a bit to the 2 vids. The one vid is neat cause it shows the bike's front tire skating out at the end of the straight and after the chicane on the left end of the track and the other vid I get some pretty good laps in but I had to drive so causously(sp) with that front end so loose.

TT SB5 TIRE TESTING @ MSI RACEWAY (0 min 59 sec)

TT SB5 tire testing @ MSI Raceway (3 min 40 sec)
Last edited by TopDave; Jan 09, 2012 at 04:18 PM.