HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:18 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
I dont think it is something really special... maybe one of the two or three hard inserts already available: TT SB5, NF or the Italian one with the nice colors.
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
I dont think it is something really special... maybe one of the two or three hard inserts already available: TT SB5, NF or the Italian one with the nice colors.
Hi Steliosh, Could you discribe for us the "hardness" of the inserts and who makes them and where to buy them? I asked in this forum a while back, and no one seemed aware that there are choices available.
Thanks alot, Dave
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:44 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
From what I have seen at rc-motorradshop.de:
(they have the biggest pics and biggest description!)

The Italian ones, with the colors in the mold...
http://rcbiker.com/index.php/news/36-inserts-by-massari
for a translation of their origin...

Pics and prices:
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...ilder/?MMA-01H
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...ilder/?MMA-01V

The NF ones...
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...tbilder/?X62/C
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...tbilder/?X69/C

And the TT SB-5 kit ones:
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...der/?PD08-0008

I just found these here, at the RC-Ms, but they are available from all good rc-bike shops, like Bruce, Formby, Artes Hobbies and all...
I have not "tested" or tested the hardness of any of the above. I "think" the NF ones are a bit softer than the SB5. I have not yet touched or used the Massari inserts...
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:44 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
From what I have seen at rc-motorradshop.de:
(they have the biggest pics and biggest description!)

The Italian ones, with the colors in the mold...
http://rcbiker.com/index.php/news/36-inserts-by-massari
for a translation of their origin...

Pics and prices:
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...ilder/?MMA-01H
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...ilder/?MMA-01V

The NF ones...
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...tbilder/?X62/C
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...tbilder/?X69/C

And the TT SB-5 kit ones:
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produk...der/?PD08-0008

I just found these here, at the RC-Ms, but they are available from all good rc-bike shops, like Bruce, Formby, Artes Hobbies and all...
I have not "tested" or tested the hardness of any of the above. I "think" the NF ones are a bit softer than the SB5. I have not yet touched or used the Massari inserts...
Thanks Steliosh, So what you're saying is the new Massari's are the firmest, the kit (black) TT's are next, and NF's are the softest? What about the yellowish TT's? Thanks again, Dave
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
I have not touched the Massari's, as I said, but I believe this is the order...

since I only have had access to kit and NF's, in my last pair of tires I did a trick we used to do with HPI Baja's:
run a bead or two of duct tape around the circumference of the insert. It seemed that at least for the Bajas, it would prevent them from balloooning, so it was very difficult to destroy the soft compound and quite thin rear Baja tires...

It worked a treat, so I did it on SB-5's black inserts. It holds up really good when you push the throttle on my 6.5T motored SB-5 in the air for a very short period and it doesnt balloon! My rear currently on a beadlocked Ricou wheel. My front is on a white TT wheel.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:00 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,108 Posts
Heres a lineup of most inserts available:
ARTES HOBBIES

You can sort of say: the heavier a insert the harder it is.
NF have three different inserts: grey, blue, yellow
where the yellow are the ones we all know.

There are the TT SB5 inserts. There are a few preproduction ones that got into the channels. If they are not black and matte shiny and have a firm feel to them just reject them.

and
the "Massari" (he is a really nice guy by the way always smiling). The brits say dogpoo inserts to them ... typical. Massari developed them together with Gianni Zonzini. Those inserts together with TTSB5 rims and a set of PMTs make up the (close to) perfect (commercial) wheelset. They have finetuned the weight front to rear. There is a german dealer who is making a finished wheelset you can buy with these inserts. Once I know how good they are I will recommend him on this forum. The Massari have one problem: when they get really hot they go very soft.

Lineup soft to hard:
NF Yellow
TT SB5 (black)
NF blue
NF grey
Massari
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
470 Posts
Hi,
The massari inserts are very good,i have been using them,they are very hard..and very heavy which makes the bike stable.....but with the weight of the wheels now with the massari inserts,are we not getting back to the weight of an alloy wheel set up???......
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:51 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Heres a lineup of most inserts available:
ARTES HOBBIES

You can sort of say: the heavier a insert the harder it is.
NF have three different inserts: grey, blue, yellow
where the yellow are the ones we all know.

There are the TT SB5 inserts. There are a few preproduction ones that got into the channels. If they are not black and matte shiny and have a firm feel to them just reject them.

and
the "Massari" (he is a really nice guy by the way always smiling). The brits say dogpoo inserts to them ... typical. Massari developed them together with Gianni Zonzini. Those inserts together with TTSB5 rims and a set of PMTs make up the (close to) perfect (commercial) wheelset. They have finetuned the weight front to rear. There is a german dealer who is making a finished wheelset you can buy with these inserts. Once I know how good they are I will recommend him on this forum. The Massari have one problem: when they get really hot they go very soft.

Lineup soft to hard:
NF Yellow
TT SB5 (black)
NF blue
NF grey
Massari
Thank You Edi, As usual, you come to our rescue in this sea of misinformed and under-experienced bikers here in the U.S. !! My SB5 kit came with the white-ish inserts and that's what I am running now. Bruce's bike shop only lists the NF yellow inserts, would that be enough improvement to build new tire sets with considering I have no one to race with here in Michigan, lol,(really crying)
I am running my bike on racing carpet (for the winter) and am curious where you guys got the foam "donuts" to grind into your bike tires (and what compound did you like)?
Do you have any left over material or tires you would like to sell? I'm running PMT 200's and the kit tires and experimenting with tire softeners and groove cutting shapes right now, trying to get "hooked up". A combination of roughing up the tires with #150 emory cloth and vee grooving the "kit" tires have me running some pretty fair laps, but I know there is more traction to be had. Thanks for your info Edi!
Dave
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:34 PM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Hi,
The massari inserts are very good,i have been using them,they are very hard..and very heavy which makes the bike stable.....but with the weight of the wheels now with the massari inserts,are we not getting back to the weight of an alloy wheel set up???......
pretty much Simon they are, The plastic rims are close to the limit of being to light and not having enough gyro effect to keep the bike drivable, Also seeing alot more DNF's with broken wheels but they glue alot better so were seeing less dnf with tyres failing off apart from the colured rims where the pigment used does not work well with CA, When we talked to our surpplyer of wheels about that problem he came to the conclusion that the pigment which was powder ( no idea what TT use) make the surface rougher so we never got such a good contact. i wasnt convinced of that myself and thought it was a chemical problem between the CA and pigment.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:39 PM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
I am running my bike on racing carpet (for the winter) and am curious where you guys got the foam "donuts" to grind into your bike tires (and what compound did you like)?

Dave
All the company laser or water jet cut the foam donuts from laminated sheets, try contacting one these and ask if you can buy a sheet foam rubber or if they reset the machines for a small batch. bare in mind that foams can and will chunk,
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitham69 View Post
All the company laser or water jet cut the foam donuts from laminated sheets, try contacting one these and ask if you can buy a sheet foam rubber or if they reset the machines for a small batch. bare in mind that foams can and will chunk,
Thanks Whitham69, Yeah I raced 1/12 scale for years and glued a lot of chunks back in, lol. I'm starting to get satisfied with the rubber tires right now. In fact I'm gonna drive over to the local indoor carpet track this week with all my tires and emory paper and tire dope and give it a go and see what happens. I ran my GPV1 over there 3 years ago, but I didn't have a clue about tires and steering springs and such and I still made a few good laps. The SB5 should be alittle more forgiving with the weighted wheels and all. We'll see!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:51 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitham69 View Post
pretty much Simon they are, The plastic rims are close to the limit of being to light and not having enough gyro effect to keep the bike drivable, Also seeing alot more DNF's with broken wheels but they glue alot better so were seeing less dnf with tyres failing off apart from the colured rims where the pigment used does not work well with CA, When we talked to our surpplyer of wheels about that problem he came to the conclusion that the pigment which was powder ( no idea what TT use) make the surface rougher so we never got such a good contact. i wasnt convinced of that myself and thought it was a chemical problem between the CA and pigment.
Thanks for that info.....While on the subject of wheels i have been doing allot of experimenting with the stock wheels and the tt option alloy wheels. I run in parking lots where the surface is not always smooth or grippy. After many different combo set ups the best all around wheel choice for me is the stock plastic wheel in front and the tt alloy option wheel in the rear with the steel weight added..Its a night and day difference with any other wheel combo i ran. Im convinced that the sb5 runs best with the stock front wheel with no weight added and a weighted rear wheel..Just my 2 cents from a parking lot basher.
dragbikebam is online now Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; Dec 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:17 AM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
i cant comoment on the sb5 only tryed one once, my 509 nitro i did experiment with and found the ally front wheel worked better for me, I yet to see two bike set up the same way.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:53 PM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Foam tire material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Hi, Top Dave.
Have a look, starting at post #3178, in the gpv-1 section. There you will find some info on the foam tires i made. It may be possible to use this material for 1:5 bikes.

Good luck!

Micke
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:29 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dad View Post
Hi, Top Dave.
Have a look, starting at post #3178, in the gpv-1 section. There you will find some info on the foam tires i made. It may be possible to use this material for 1:5 bikes.

Good luck!

Micke
Thanks Micke,
Looking locally for a supplier. Some of the discriptions of your material don't seem to translate to any supplier discriptions (McMaster Carr) that I can find. Hate to order the wrong stuff again lol. Neoprene foam seems like what I want but they show a visual hardness chart rather than a Shore rating chart. I may have to contact one of the rc tire suppliers for the real material.
Last edited by TopDave; Dec 15, 2011 at 06:37 AM.