HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
35 Posts
OK thanks for the help Edi, I will give it a try.
nippy57 is offline Find More Posts by nippy57
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:23 PM
SE England
Joined May 2005
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
I dont really use the treaded at all. Just simple PMT200s Slick Front/Rear.
But once again it is important to only use these tires on a wet or at least damp track. They are not supposed to get dry always need a film of water on them. They have a special additive to them that gets ruined the second you use the tires in the dry. The water somehow reacts with this stuff and makes the tire tacky.
So you need to keep a set of 200s for wet conditions ONLY. Also store youre wet tires in plastic bag sealed from the outside.
I got this info from a german "first generation" Bikedriver who helped develop the PMTs years ago. And from 1.5th scale Car drivers that use the PMTs (they have the same rubber in the wet).
Last year PMT released a "wrong" mixture on their 200s. Some of you might have got a set of those "supersoft" 200s. THOSE are the ultimate rain tires. I drove low averages of 28,0 in Grenoble in the wet on those tires: Compared to a 25.3 in the dry ....
Used the wrong mixture supersoft 200 cuts at the weekend.... In the pissing wet! did not even have to push the bike at all to take the the a finals just watch everyone around me crash get frustrated and blame thier kit!
Whilst plodding along happily!
Why on earth dont pmt make more of these?
They really are that good!

Jim
loonracing is offline Find More Posts by loonracing
Last edited by loonracing; Apr 05, 2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: thick
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:00 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,197 Posts
We had a wet day a few weeks back and I was absolutely amazed at how much traction I had on my plenty-used 200 slicks. I was able to run them at maybe 7/10, which is way more than I had expected.

Oh, yeah, we actually had to cancel the racing because cars didn't want to run. Sunny Southern California...
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Apr 05, 2011, 08:09 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
We had a wet day a few weeks back and I was absolutely amazed at how much traction I had on my plenty-used 200 slicks. I was able to run them at maybe 7/10, which is way more than I had expected.

Oh, yeah, we actually had to cancel the racing because cars didn't want to run. Sunny Southern California...
ya.. my bike actually had traction in the wet whereas it didn't in the dry on the same track..

of course, pouring water out of your fairing after a run has its disadvantages... LOL
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm hooked on RC Moto
Berkeley
Joined Jun 2006
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbyphilips View Post
The trick I want to learn is how to get one in the USA...
Finally figured this one out.

Mucho thanks to Bruce at @ 2wheelhobbies

RC-Biking would be a sad state of affairs in the US without Mr. Slawson
stubbyphilips is offline Find More Posts by stubbyphilips
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:21 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Hoooray!!! Stubby has layed hands on a SB5....wish you lots of fun with it.
You might want to check out the tuning parts I made for it *lol*
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm hooked on RC Moto
Berkeley
Joined Jun 2006
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Hoooray!!! Stubby has layed hands on a SB5....wish you lots of fun with it.
You might want to check out the tuning parts I made for it *lol*
It is a cool kit, it went together so well. The ease of assembly was really refreshing. And now that I have had it apart (diassembled and reassembled) several times I'm really impressed with it.

My first driving impressions have been very positive. I kinda like it.

There are a few details I don't like so much but those I have taken care of.

And yes I have been eyeing your bits and this thread for quite some time.
stubbyphilips is offline Find More Posts by stubbyphilips
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbyphilips View Post
It is a cool kit, it went together so well. The ease of assembly was really refreshing. And now that I have had it apart (diassembled and reassembled) several times I'm really impressed with it.

My first driving impressions have been very positive. I kinda like it.

There are a few details I don't like so much but those I have taken care of.

And yes I have been eyeing your bits and this thread for quite some time.

Since I'm gathering funds for an SB5 as well, what are this things you didn't like about the bike so I can be prepared?...
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:56 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
You definitely need a good servo for the steering... I had an... epiphany, after driving the SB5 and the KP10 one after the other: The SB5 with an ACE DS1015 and the KP with a Futaba S3003... I wished the KP had the steering responses of the SB... At the same time, even the old FM1e had better feeling steering, with a "leftover" cheapo Towardpro 996MG... Even THAT was giving better response to the bike, than what I ever got from the ever lazy KP! And all this with the kit setup of the SB5 steering, stock springs, just with one o-ring per shock, carefully sanded/trimmed/matched kit pistons and 350cps oil in both.
So, this morning I put the MG996 on the KP and it was a revelation... Took me some time to adjust the EPA's, D/R's and all, but in the end it was almost exactly SB5: Accurate, quick to respond, stayed in the turns as long as I WISHED and no more slow speed slapping from crashbar to crashbar! Needless to say, I'm going to invest in a good fast servo very soon! It's really hard to describe a feeling you get on paper, or screen for that matter, really...

My question however is concerning the SB5: How in reality can you make this bike heavy for Stock class? How to add 200 grams on it?! Where?!!!!!
Right now, with my heaviest batteries it tips the scales at 1710, and that includes a few grams for the brake, which will be gone, meaning it will be LIGHTER even!!!!
So, again, how does one make it heavier? Where to put the weight, since the battery tray is filled with the big hardcase battery and the bodywork is almost shrinkwrapped around the lower parts of the bike?!

Edit: Jimmy... there's nothing not to like on this bike!!!!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:12 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
182 Posts
Hi Steliosh,

I used sheets of lead, about 1.1mm thick. I glued them around the batterie box.
Itīs about 250 gramms of lead!!!
TT-Tom is offline Find More Posts by TT-Tom
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:20 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
Hello Tom!
Thanks for the detailed pics!
Oh my God! It's a LOT of weight, I know!
Any changes in suspension settings, then? Oil, springs, shock positions, ride height etc?
Last edited by steliosh; Apr 08, 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: one more thought!
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,676 Posts
I've heard that the stock tires aren't so bad once you get the mold release off and a layer of rubber... they actually feel a little sticky.. but has anyone tried running them on the bike?

So far everyone has jumped right on the PMT200 tire, but maybe Thunder Tiger, in its effort to produce a real race bike, has actually made a decent compound tire... at least for hot weather...

Back when Torrance was with them, he said the stock tires sucked... but he has even remarked that there were running changes after he left...
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:36 PM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
The stock/kit tyres I personnaly tried were rubbish. I tried a lot. All sorts of treatment I could lay my hands on. Heating them. I even tried voodoo spells. Somehow they look like tires but donīt do the job.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:41 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
I too ordered a couple of spare wheels and four tires: Two PMT100 and two PMT200's, almost the same time with the bike!
So far I ve ran only the 200s...
But I am keen to try the 100s too, now that the weather gets hotter and hotter... (22C today!)
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:52 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
Bein a man of few tools and no lathe/drilling skills at all, I found the easy way to have a belt tensioner!

Since I have an Xray TC, the T1 FK05, it was a matter of time to browse through its option parts and see what I can come up with:

Xray belt tensioner Part No. XR303070.

I test-mounted it on the left suspension arm's lower mounting point, using a longer M3x15 bolt and then I started adding spacers until the belt was centered on the small ball bearings. I also used a longer M3X8 bolt.
It will be tested one of these days to see what happens. Next step would be to cut a similar carbon plate with adjustable tensioning. So far, statically it seems ideal, having used the most forward oval retainers on the rear wheel axle, so I had the most slack on the belt possible.