Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
One breakdisc for me too.
Tüsken is offline Find More Posts by Tüsken
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:33 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
Seems to be quite some interest. Have a few "big" dealers asking, too. Putting the prices together, hope to get it going quickly.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Seems to be quite some interest. Have a few "big" dealers asking, too. Putting the prices together, hope to get it going quickly.
Sounds good but I thought Carbon Fibre would be stronger than Glass fibre
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
Carbon Looks better, is a bit lighter but for a Brakedisc its strength not really needed.

For example: I only use 3 Pins on my bike on a smaller Dia insted of the 6 Pins on the SB5..

And for Brake discs the "way it feels" under braking is much more important...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
On another note, even though I have barely ran my SB5 in SBK form, (5.5T motor in my case, and just two batteries ran so it's not conclusive yet) I would like to know what people think of adding weight to this oh-so-lightweight bike for stock class...

What kind of weight? Where?
My bike weighs 1635 grams with front brake, full (full is heavier?!!!) hardcase battery, HW 120A ESC and DS1015 servo, but not paint!).

Also... if you choose to use aluminum wheels, which WILL add some weight (either with adapters or ZH's), does it make any difference in handling?

My thought is that I will try the bike again in current form and maybe even "tame" it down a bit with my other mod motor which is a 6.5T, once parts arrive, but I am more confident in my hands running a slower stock bike. You see I have reached a certain age (will be 51 in June!) and have some minor eyesight prob's (nothing that can't be cured with a pair of glasses, of course!). BTW, I won this morning the Greek Touring Car RCGT 13.5T class and ran the Anderson M5 between car heats, much to the amazement of all car guys watching!

Anyway, right now, my ex-RCGT Nosram (X11) 17.5T is in my KP09e and I can at least drive that one, complete with turbo progam (updated just yesterday, still not tested in my HW 60A!), but with added lead weight down low, right above the battery, to take it down to the 2011 Worlds limit of 1900 grams (I managed 1903, so I guess I'm good for now). It used to be 1805 grams since Grenoble, but that was with the LRP X12 13.5T...

Any info on adding fat to the SB-5 would be much appreciated...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Carbon Looks better, is a bit lighter but for a Brakedisc its strength not really needed.

For example: I only use 3 Pins on my bike on a smaller Dia insted of the 6 Pins on the SB5..

And for Brake discs the "way it feels" under braking is much more important...

I have only run one pack through my bike and brake felt fine and servo lasted I guess under race conditions there would be a lot more stress on the servo and disc, its just when we used to run fibre discs in out buggys years ago they would get hot and very grabby kind of on and off with no feel, but it seems you dont have that problem now.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,840 Posts
steliosh, I am sure if you run the alloy wheels it will make the bike more stable, I think you can buy alloy weighted parts to fit to the wheels, I also found the bike hard to drive but think it was the steering dampers, I have worked on them again and taken out one o ring but not tried it since, hoping to get some use out of the bike this year, and I will be 56 in June I had my eyes lazered over 2 years ago to help my flying fantastic !!!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
I had the chance to try 2 Superbikes after the race in Grenoble - 1 almost box stock SB-5 with Carbon disc from Willi, and Edi's Bike with the glass fibre disc.
The brakes on Edi's Bike were awesome! No aggressive "Bite", but a steady brake force, that brought the bike stable into the corner. Me likey :-)
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:47 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
Steve, from what (very!) little I drove it, it was nice and VERY stable... Of course, I had already made the small steering shocks with only one o-ring, and went to the huge parking lot to make sure everything was straight and true... Then... I crashed it badly!
oh well... I will try it again next week probably...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:12 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
Weighting the chassis: Try as low and far back as possible. 1mm thick lead is good you can fold and model it around the Batteryholder...
Put about 20-30g of lead into the front tire, on the rim. A good front SB5 wheel should weigh over 100g.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:58 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
Quote:
A good front SB5 wheel should weigh over 100g.
Does this apply to SBK, also, Edi?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:38 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
All of the Team have the front Wheel weighed with 20-30g (lead on the rim down the middle.. )
The heavier the front wheel the easier a bike is to drive. And less prone to sudden instabilities.

A SB5 front rim + NF "Yellow" insert + Tire = between 84-88g. (WITHOUT SPOKES)
putting in about 20-30g of lead makes approx. 100-120g.
The further outward that additional weight (rotating mass) is the less overall weight you need.
Its more effective to put 20g of lead inside the tire than using the Alu spokes and weights.

This is for Superbike too.. it was only me in Grenoble that thought he could drive 85g front wheels *kickshisownass*.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
hi there. have some question [set up sb5 5.5t brushless ]
1] my batts wouldnt fit perfectly to use the batt cover. keep scraping off the hardcase pack[turnigy 5000 40c 139Lx46Hx26W.
2] WHAT BATTS U GUYS RUNNING?ANY RECOMENDATIONS.?
3]WHAT IS THE PREFFERED TYRES FOR R/C TRACKS SLICKS/ GROOVES/SHORE?
3]DO U GUYS USE TYRE COMPOUNDS.?
4]PINIONS FOR 87T SPURS/93T SPURS
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE. JUST GOT INTO R/C BIKE [AWESOME]
ME INTO 1/10 GP RACING.MINI-Z N NOW R/C BIKE...CHEERS FROM Sngapore R/C [TEAM BAD COMPANY]
SPEEDAIDI is offline Find More Posts by SPEEDAIDI