HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:15 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Torrance... Torrance! What ESC did you have in mind with this bike?! LOL
I have 3 Xerun's, one SP LPF 1.1, two Genesis Rides and all of them are AT LEAST 36mm wide! Which means they do NOT fit in the space allotted for the ESC by just by 1 or 2 mm's!!!!! The space is 35mm wide!

In the end, I managed to squeeze a Xerun 120A in there, barely: I mounted it a bit sideways, but before I taped it in there, I moved the fan 5mm back, so it won't mess with the steering servo cables! A VERY tight fit, indeed!!!!
I'm not sure it will be my final solution, though...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:40 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,163 Posts
The LRP Sphere/NOSRAM Pearl series and Castle Mamba Max Pro (minus the fan) ESCs both fit just fine. I think the Tekin R5 series should fit just fine also.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:41 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,163 Posts
Oh, and you shouldn't need the fan on your Xerun, if that is what is causing the problems -- if should be getting plenty of cooling while you are running.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:10 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
See what kind of problems one gets on Christmas morning (10.00am here!, Merry Christmas!) with one's Christmas present?!!!!

I was always afraid to use an ESC without a fan, especially with a 5.5t or 6.5T motor...
Last edited by steliosh; Dec 25, 2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: one more thought!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:26 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
Torrance... Torrance! What ESC did you have in mind with this bike?! LOL
I have 3 Xerun's, one SP LPF 1.1, two Genesis Rides and all of them are AT LEAST 36mm wide! Which means they do NOT fit in the space allotted for the ESC by just by 1 or 2 mm's!!!!! The space is 35mm wide!

In the end, I managed to squeeze a Xerun 120A in there, barely: I mounted it a bit sideways, but before I taped it in there, I moved the fan 5mm back, so it won't mess with the steering servo cables! A VERY tight fit, indeed!!!!
I'm not sure it will be my final solution, though...
the SB-5 was designed to be a full-race bike so i only considered race spec ESC's to fit (LRP, Nosram, Novak, Tekin, etc). these ESCs tend to be smaller than chinese ESCs. similarly in high end race spec touring cars you'll find that these chinese ESCs also don't fit very well unless you put the receiver in an odd location.

like Guidoracer said you don't need an ESC fan with bikes. they're not as demanding on throttle as touring cars (unless you're doing wheelie contest all day long). i've been running a 6.5T with no fan for a long time with no problems.
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:17 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Finally, all set and "almost" ready to run, with full electronics, kit scratchbars, front brake and battery, but with no paint yet (!), it weighs a nice 1635 grams!!!!!

(Almost, means the kit tires! I don't glue them to the wheels! Waiting for the PMT's!)
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
sweden
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
One really good thing about the rims of the sb-5 is that when you want to un glue the tires just put them in a aceton bath over night.I didnt think the plastic could take that.
HASSE.D is offline Find More Posts by HASSE.D
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:04 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Good morning Hasse! Yes, Edi mentioned it too, earlier... But still... is it worth the effort to glue the kit tires?!
I will wait... anyway, I have to paint it too!
(This is why there are no pics from me yet!)
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:59 AM
sweden
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
No i dont think so.Just wait on the pmt:s.Im waiting for the snow to melt,it is just 3-4 month to wait.Ithink you gone love the SB5.Have a nice day.
HASSE.D is offline Find More Posts by HASSE.D
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:17 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve croston View Post
hi edi which servo do you use?
The Team is using the: Graupner DS292MG (I think thats a JR Servo)

I use the Futaba 3156MG for the front brakes.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:14 AM
Copenhagen, Danmark
Joined Dec 2009
35 Posts
Hallo Torrance. Sure have one of your bikes. Friends told me to. Equal with them! End of day I had laptimes 1 or 2 tenth better than next SB5. 8 min. runs not bad eather. Only a few changes: Such as ball joints up front. Like I use. No alublock, so bearings moved to the rear of swingarms. Think Edi has suggested this too. Ezrun 5.5, esc an easy fit in frame. Stearing servo on topfront of battery try. Now, if you lift the bike, and pres on suspension arm, frontwheel move from side to side! People complain about this since the first worlds in Brooklands! Used this Hossack front for 25 years, and never realized this drawback! Erik provided a scales: 1505 grams with 3800 Flight Power lipo, no front bake.
Happy New Year to you, and everybody else, from Erling.
gnilre is offline Find More Posts by gnilre
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:58 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawsonb View Post
Got the SB-5 wheels up on the website. They are really beautifully made.

http://2wheelhobbies.com/advanced_se...eel+Set+for+SB

Bruce
Coming back to the subject, would the adapter shown with these wheels work with NF/(old style)TT wheels?
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:22 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
I managed to put some pics of the bike on my site:
Check it out while the paint is drying! Yes, I tried to paint it... from a distance it looks good...

http://www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/tt_sb5

Pics of the painted bike will follow shortly!!!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:08 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Nice to "see" you are enjoying the SB5
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:05 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,817 Posts
Nice work steliosh, I built mine months ago but only run it once and it did not handle too good,it was only in a car park think it was the steering dampers,in fact I dont really know where it is at the mo, maybe the loft I kind of get side tracked, was hoping to race it this year but dont hold your breath maybe up for sale when I find it.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco