HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:44 AM
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2003
883 Posts
Discussion
Do you check for loose pieces of paper in your surroundings before you fly?

So do you guys check for objects that can fly away from the rotor wash of your micro heli before you lift off? Perhaps put a heavier object on top to prevent it from moving about (pens, cellphones, beef jerky).

I try my best to check my surroundings before I punch the throttle (I fly in my home office/living room), but sometimes, I just forget. I've had some major yard-sales flying over stacks of paper, business cards, or worst, plate with bread crumbs (at that point I land the heli, disconnect the battery, turn off TX, and break out the vacuum cleaner).

The worst accident I've ever had was when I flew my cb100 twice into a decoration that has literally millions of tiny balls (think sand but a little bigger) glued onto small twigs, resembling a bouquet. Man when the blades whacked into that, it was game over. I spent 30 minutes vacuuming the floor for the little balls, which are very very annoying and noticeable when stepped on.

What are your stories?
Samay is offline Find More Posts by Samay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Guitar Player
Auburn, California
Joined Mar 2010
711 Posts
I think that flying your heli around loose objects is a screening test for clutter. I have done it in my living room and what flys around (usually old post it notes, papers) gets thrown away or filed. Sort of like natures way of saying clean up lol!
Russbrigham is offline Find More Posts by Russbrigham
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:01 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Was checking the tracking on my Blade SR right when I first got it. I was holding the skids to the bench as I fired it up the canopy (of course I set it too close) caught a breeze and well I have been flying my SR without a canopy ever since as it was chopped to little pieces.

So yes now I try and make sure every thing is clear before firing up any of my birds.
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer