HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Discussion
TOP FLITE P-51D Mustang .60 Retracts help

I built my TF mustang and took it up for the first time yesterday for a trim flight. She was flying well, there were some adjustments needed. I decided to do some loops before bringing it down when suddenly the Saito 125 gave up (Possible receiver issue) and I had to land the heavy bird. I managed to get her down but because she was not trimmed, I had a rough landing. The stock retracts bemt and destroyed the wings. I decided to get new wings and a good retract system , so I ordered CJM kit for this plane , only to realize that they are not as good as Robarts? Can someone advise? Should I return my CJ retracts and go for the Robarts instead?
rcflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer44
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
Ldm
Registered User
Ldm's Avatar
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,398 Posts
Retracts are all in the what you do with them .
I have used CJ , Robart and sierra , I like CJ and sierra the best .
Lets start with --what is it that you dont like about the CJs .
If its not major perhaps we can fix it
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Retracts are all in the what you do with them .
I have used CJ , Robart and sierra , I like CJ and sierra the best .
Lets start with --what is it that you dont like about the CJs .
If its not major perhaps we can fix it
Nothing that I don't like with them-But was a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews online. I would give them a try if I get get some good feedback about them. It's just that there's hardly a thread/forum which talks in detail about their installation or how good they are.
rcflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer44
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
WarClouds Online Dogfights
IL2windhawk's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
262 Posts
I like my CJ retracts. I have their top flite P51 set in my 65" mustang. It weighs 12 lbs and I fly off grass without problems at all. I did have a hard impact once after a botched take-off and the steel pins bent... but this was a very good thing. They absorbed all of the energy that should have broken the retract mounts out of the wing. I hammered them straight at home and the problem was fixed in 15 minutes.

If you have the TF P51 ARF, I'm guessing that they will work even better for you, because it should be alot lighter.
IL2windhawk is offline Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2windhawk View Post
I like my CJ retracts. I have their top flite P51 set in my 65" mustang. It weighs 12 lbs and I fly off grass without problems at all. I did have a hard impact once after a botched take-off and the steel pins bent... but this was a very good thing. They absorbed all of the energy that should have broken the retract mounts out of the wing. I hammered them straight at home and the problem was fixed in 15 minutes.

If you have the TF P51 ARF, I'm guessing that they will work even better for you, because it should be alot lighter.
Thanks Windhawk!
Your reply makes me feel confident about the purchase. My Mustang weighs in around 10 lbs with a Saito 125. Also, did you reinforce the retract bays in the wings?Do you have any pictures of your setup?
rcflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer44
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
WarClouds Online Dogfights
IL2windhawk's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
262 Posts
I did reinforce the retract bays... however, I don't have a TF kit. Just a P-51 of the same size
IL2windhawk is offline Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:27 AM
Ldm
Registered User
Ldm's Avatar
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,398 Posts
Do yuo want some tips on a good practices for installing retracts ? I was assuming you just wanted an opinion on the retract brands ect
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Do yuo want some tips on a good practices for installing retracts ? I was assuming you just wanted an opinion on the retract brands ect
I was looking for both, opinions and tips. It would be great if you can share some tips here. Thanks!
rcflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer44
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Top Flite P-51D .60 size NIB collectors edition ch47dfe293 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 17, 2014 11:57 PM
For Sale Top Flite P-51D Mustang .61 PaulVi Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 03, 2011 05:29 PM
Discussion Need muffler help w/.60 size top flite P-51D and OS.91 FSR sstewart1 Fuel Warbirds 1 May 03, 2010 06:25 PM
Sold Top Flite P-51D Mustang Gold Edition Kit .60-.90,65" flybd Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Oct 11, 2005 02:34 PM