HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:11 PM
BH CSR
Joined Mar 2010
413 Posts
Help!
AT-6 Texan from BH- Upgrades

Hello All!

A fellow RCGoer and myself need some help! He has asked me about upgrading the AT-6 Texan, and needs to know brands of motors and corresponding motor mounts that would work with this airplane. In all honestly, I have absolutely no idea, and we don't have the opportunity to modify our products here, so I didn't want to give him the wrong information. I still want to help him get the right answer though, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to this airplane on our website: http://www.bananahobby.com/1697.html

Thank you,

Saralyn C.
Banana Hobby
Saralyn C. is offline Find More Posts by Saralyn C.
Last edited by Saralyn C.; Jun 18, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Forgot the link!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
Thanks Saralyn.
Ok Piliots :P I am 100% noobish to upgrading planes. I understand the basics somewhat. This entire brushless and LiPo batts where not even around when I last was into RC. Big bad brushed motor and a monster Ni-Mh batts and FM transmitters where the way to go. How things have changed.

Ok with previous help from pavcon. I think i am headed in the right direction. I am not looking for some crazy plane that will do 100MPH. I just want a little bit more fly time and power and since the crash, all the motor parts where all but useable. I figured for the same price i could just upgrade it from the brushed and Ni-Mh batts to brushless and LiPo. For those that don't know it has a stick mount (10mm). Just like on your stick flyers. The orignal motor was a gearbox and brushed motor. Here are some more useable stats of the plane:
Wingspan: 902mm (35.5")
Length: 749mm (29.5")
Wing Area: 14.5dm2
Flying Weight: 480g (16.9 oz)
Batt compartment: 73mm x 50mm x 26mm (per another site) concur with my measurements

This is what I have so far:
LiPo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9273
Will fit per the measurements of the batt.

ESC: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...eed_Controller
Was recommended to run a 25amp ESC from Pete.

Engine stickmount: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...or_24**_Motors

I think i have all the basics lined out. The only problem is a motor choice. This is where it gets tricky. If you have a better possible setup or motor choice. Please let me know and thanks for your alls input. Also here are some stats for the same plane that is being sold with a brushless setup.

Power system: 1250kv brushless outrunner
ESC: 18A
Propeller : 8x6
Battery: 2 cells 7.4V - 1300mAh Li-Po (Not included)
awzook is offline Find More Posts by awzook
Last edited by awzook; Jun 18, 2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Forgot some info that might help!
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I told you what to get..
get the 1200kv e-max
you can find it on e-bay and on the other post of the crash

on that you can use a 3S 11.1v pack and it will give you some gooooood power...

as for the prop a 74 should be wnough and a 7x6 will be for some power and acrobatic setup...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:20 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
KK sorry, I took it as it was a little to much for the plane. Guess that takes care of that. Ok now that we got me lined out if anybody has this plane and has some mods they have done. Post it up. I am also open to other ideas. Best way to learn is to share concepts. I'll keep you all informed on the rebuild and performance with the pavcon setup.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
in fact the e-max motor comes with the shaft AND the stick mount you wanted in the package.. you won't need to buy any extra mounting parts..
the red mount that I showd you in the video is from the e-max motor that I have and used in my wingdragon.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
Yup that's what I did. I got the emax off eBay. Got the esc and 3s 1500 lipo from hobbyking.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
did you check the battery hatch to see if the battery fits?
The good thing about the motor is thatit'sa direct fit.. I wonder if BH sells those as ARFs
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:44 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
I don't think they do. As far as the measurements the turnigy 3s 1500 should fit. It will be tight but it's got room to take some foam out.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
the dimensions are mensioned on the descripion on hk page
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:22 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
I measured the plane myself to see if HK was correct. Its exactly what i got but i can only take their battery measurements as I dont have one yet. Hopefully its correct so it will just be a drop in with no modding needed to the battery bay or hatch. I bought another ESC and battery from another place in the states. So i should have it together by next weekend for its test flight. Weather permitting. I am under the impression its gonna be 2 to 3 weeks to get anything from HK due to customs.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
the battery dimensions are on hobbykings page and it's 72 x 34 x 23mm
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:46 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
Only thing thats kind of funny is the 1300 is larger then the 1500 on HK's webpage. I didn't notice it until after I ordered it. My only question is. Is that the right dimensions of the 1500 on their webpage?

Well i did a little more research. The dimensions on the 1300 is wrong on HK's website but the 1500 is the correct dimensions. Found some on ebay that had the box for the batt in the pictures. It had the dimensions on it :P

Speaking of airframes, I want one in silver. Saralyn is there any airframes for the AT-6 thats available?
Last edited by awzook; Jun 19, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
well. the good thing with me is that I got all the electronics available pulled out from the wing dragon I got from a friend. I also got some 9g servos from e-bay..
Now I nly need a fuselage retracts main and rear wings and vertical stabilizers. .oh and all the hardware and linkages.. just the airframe and no electronics at all..

if it's available or at least a set of parts that could be cost effective I might grab one too..
As weird as it could sound.. I never had a propeller plane before.. only EDFs the only propeller plane I had for a while is that wing dragon that wasn't even mine.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:30 PM
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
I noticed NP has an airframe but as most of everything they have its sold out. Its somewhat cost effective price of less then 35USD. I sent them a email asking when and if its going to be restocked. Really its a great flying plane and wont break the pocket book.

I should get my first EDF this tuesday. I've been eyeing the BH Mini F-86. When it came back in stock, i jumped on it. Hopefully I wont be disappointed. Not much into jets but had to have the F-86.

Easy and cost saving Mod I have learned about the Lanyu line of planes: Spray the plane before assembly with a clear coat to protect the easily marred and chipped paint. Make sure its foam safe paint and test in a place you wont see or dont care about first.
Last edited by awzook; Jun 20, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
with a clear coat of what? what clear coat is foam safe?