Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:14 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,108 Posts
Cool
1.4g micro FPV setup

Take a look at this little wireless camera ive put together.
As you can see it weighs in at 1.4grams AUW!

-TX is 5.8ghz
-Quality is to be expected for this size camera, quite usable in the daylight
-I would love to half the weight of the TX if possible

Ive attached it to my Blade MSR and when i power on both RX and TX's i get a good video signal but as soon as i throttle up i get total interference, i presume it is the 2.4ghz washing out the signal but it only happens when i throttle up but not on servo movement- could be feedback from the motor but doubtful...

If your interested in making this setup then here is all you need basically.

Camera was $60
http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/i...8&category=241

Transmitter was $38
http://www.fpvhobby.com/2-transmitter

Receiver was $24
http://www.fpvhobby.com/5-receiver

Video added. Just a quick shot of the quality for all to reveiw.

Worlds smallest Camera WIRELESS (0 min 39 sec)
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Last edited by Veteran; Jun 30, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:43 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Hi, I am using a airwave 5.8ghz very close to the BladeMSR transmitter and get abolutely no interference. The battery is not shared with the heli (I found out it would be heavier to filter than put a different battery).

I don't think the airwave is a lot heavier than yours. What camera is this by the way?
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,505 Posts
Same questions I posted in the heli thread Veteran posted. LOL
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:21 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,108 Posts
Thanks guys i do indeed have it hooked straight up to the battery, i do want to avoid using more batterys if possible. The whole idea of this project was to make things light as possible.

I'll be trying this setup out on my Plantraco Classroom fighter (900mhz system plane).

The camera came from here: http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/i...8&category=241

My camera is the top one ( Looks like only 1 left in stock) but you can also see two other similar camera modules at bottom of that site, both of which have micro SMD LED's for lighting.

Ive posted this thread in 3 different forums the idea being that i hope to generate enough interest for some electronic gurus who can possibly reduce the weight of the TX by at least 2/3rds so AUW would be 500mg... I know it can be done as i have seen a manufacturer who sells them already but i think he wants something ridiculous like $500 US each for them.

I might start the same thread over in the Electronics forum to get the ball rolling.

BTW, i can get these camera modules for $50 US each or $31 each for >100 or more units from a manufacturer in China. The market these cameras as endoscope cameras and they all use the same Omnivision - OV6920 CMOS image sensor chips.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:35 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,505 Posts
Thanks for the links, by chance the weight of this camera compared to the other 3 gram cameras they have listed?? I presume its color also??
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
my blademsr fpv equipment is approx 3.8gr, that's heavier but the camera is 420tvl, i don't know how it compares to yours (FC422 based on I don't know what, it has also a night vision lens) do you have a video to compare quality?

You should try to move the vtx also, I'm placing my inside the canopy, that way you also get a better CG with the extra video battery. Your interferences might just be gone if you do that.

(i actually moved it *inside* now)
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:50 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Ops sorry for double posting i think i misunderstood you
Quote:
Thanks guys i do indeed have it hooked straight up to the battery, i do want to avoid using more batterys if possible.
you're actually using ONE battery right? that cannot work, you need a filter, else the video will die when you throttle up for sure.

I tried a LED driver and a LC filter, both are heavier than additional battery and the image is less perfect. Keep in mind you only need a 20mah battery to match the flight time of the MSR, or 50mah to get double of it.

ps: where do you get that tx?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:58 AM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00 View Post
Ops sorry for double posting i think i misunderstood you

you're actually using ONE battery right? that cannot work, you need a filter, else the video will die when you throttle up for sure.

I tried a LED driver and a LC filter, both are heavier than additional battery and the image is less perfect. Keep in mind you only need a 20mah battery to match the flight time of the MSR, or 50mah to get double of it.

ps: where do you get that tx?
We would all like to know where you found the setup!

Larry
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
There is a topic i made a while ago. I mostly "made" the setup.

Airwave 5.8ghz 25mW "compat" (dpcav), FC420/422 (Flytron) and a 20mah or 50mah zippy battery. a tiny wire for the antenna also. you can run the airwave off 1S lipo.
I use it on other micro planes as well ,like the vapor. It's about 3.8-9gr with micro wiring, using to be a gram more with "big" wires.

Veteran setup is interesting because much lighter. I just wonder if its the same range and quality for both tx and camera. At $31 his camera is twice cheaper than the FC422 also.

The BladeMSR runs off a 130mah hyperion micro battery, I find this part important, it makes flying much better with the extra weight. Night and day difference.

Further info: the LED driver was from fmkit, its like 2gr more (the battery is slightly less), my micro LC filter was the same weight approx, so i ended up using separate batteries. The reason is simple: even if I could maybe make the filter lighter, the "ESC" of the msr is too noisy, three's still some lines and so on. With the other battery ive a perfectly clear video.

On problem is left with a 2nd batt: you gotta time your usage very precisely. One flight to the "end" of the 20/50mah lipo and you can trash the lipo. Since they're cheap i just bough a bunch cause every now and then I fail to time it properly ;P
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
Video?
Tnx,
G
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:49 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,505 Posts
MO-B803 Camera Module, Worlds Smallest Camera (0 min 27 sec)

Heres the camera vid, not bad for 320 x 240
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:14 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Most impressive I have been wanting to do this with my CB100. Are you going to be selling any of this?
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:27 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
I want this on my Vapor !
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:38 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,108 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the extra battery, i will try this tomorrow.

The power consumption of the camera is about 30ma
Not sure about the TX though.

Ive got a small 10mah Lipo and even an 8.5mah lipo but i think these are too small to use so i think i'll try a 20mah as suggested.

The picture quality is certainly not outstanding but in a well lit room or outside i think it will be quite good for the size of the camera. I didn't have picture quality in mind with this setup, weight was my biggest barrier

Here is the data sheet for the Camera at bottom of page PDF document.
http://www.ovt.com/products/sensor.php?id=47

Camera was $60
http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/i...8&category=241

Transmitter was $38
http://www.fpvhobby.com/2-transmitter

Receiver was $24
http://www.fpvhobby.com/5-receiver