HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
160 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion TIcool bec - Castle 10a bec

I was just seeking some advice/opinion on which of these two becs I should buy, ie the Hyperion Coolbec or the CC 10amp bec. Both seem to be good although searching through some forums there is the suggestion that there may have been problems with the CC bec. Which ever one I get will be used on a twin set up with multiple packs in series and parallel (hence the bec). Any actual experience of these items appreciated. PS My only other ubec was a turnigy that failed. I'm not knocking Turnigy they are the motors in my twin but I do not trust their BECs anymore.
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
I myself like the Castle, if I can't get an Ultimate. Never had a problem with either brand.
Don't know anything on the Hyperion.

Make sure you read the fine print on a stand alone bec. The more voltage you throw at it, the less amp output it will have. So make sure your needs to power all the servos and rx are bec capable.

You could easily burn out a bec by thinking it's rated at 10 amps when after you power it with 6 s, it's out put drops to 5 amps and your system draws 6.

Castle does list this info right on their website and paperwork.

Also the output leads that plug into the rx are only rated for 5 amps max, so if you are running more then 5 amps, you will need multiple plugs going to the servo.

They can be direct plugged or done off a Y harness to one of the other leads.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:53 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
I've run a couple of Hyperion CoolBECs for a couple of years now, and have had no issues. I've not run them at their full capability though -- only 4 or 5 HS81 servos in each model -- and have installed them in the cowls in a good cooling stream of air. Also got a couple of Ultimate BECs doing similar service, also with no issues.

The Ultimate BECs caused interference when I was on 35MHz, but I've since moved to 2.4GHz, so no longer an issue. I've only used the Hyperions on 2.4GHz.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:06 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
160 Posts
Thanks guys
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:46 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,174 Posts
Ive got both, never had any problems with either

The CCBEC is MUCH smaller than the hyperion though, if thats an issue.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister