Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:07 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
I have both the EF 70" Extra 300 EXP and the 3DHS 71" AJ Slick. Both are 8S and both have the same Axi motor. Both are excellent rides, I love them both, and each has a unique feel. Two excellent ways to go about the same thing, flying 3D or precision aerobatics. I'm not a huckster yet, but have flown both in IMAC Basic this season and both are capable ARFs. In the same contest, the Sportsman class was won by an electric 89" AJ Slick which was nice to see (that an electric can win against gassers). FWIW Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:33 AM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt12981 View Post
*snip*Please do not get me wrong. Would not have said anything if you hadn't ask. I've even bought the new EF 60" Edge since then.

I am sure if you buy a 70" Extra all will be fine. EF builds quality equipment. Mine just slip through the cracks and EF left me holding the bag. Or so I think.

Chuck*snip*
thanks for replying chuck, sounds like real bad luck. hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:19 AM
Electric Nut! Zirfnat!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2007
88 Posts
Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your experience with EF.

I had one of the 70" Extra EXP's in orange. I love that color scheme it looks awesome. It was my first EF plane and only one to date. It went together pretty well but there were a couple minor things I had to adjust when building it. I can't remember what it was exactly now. Anyway, I just wanted to say that mine did need a fair bit of right aileron trim to fly straight and that was something I was a little disappointed in. One of the pilots at my club (better pilot than me by far) looked at it and noticed that one of the ailerons was warped. I hadn't noticed myself - actually never really looked. This is something easily fixable with a heat gun and a bit of pressure applied in the right place. I'm not sure if that was the cause of the right trim because I crashed the plane before I had a chance to fix it but my buddy was pretty sure it would help if I had. Even with that fault, the plane still flew beautifully. It would be a shame to keep yours grounded if it can be fixed.

I noticed in the pics of your plane that there are some wrinkles in the covering. I would make sure that all your covering is tight and that all your control surfaces, wings, fuse, stabs, etc. are straight. Use your heat gun to straighten any warped pieces by applying pressure to make the part straight and het gun the resulting wrinkles out (or you can also use an iron). These planes always have a bit of loose covering and it makes a difference. I was surprised at the difference when I tightened the covering on mine in general. Hopefully that can help with your situation.

If you can't get a resolution from EF, the firewall can easily be fixed. Just make sure to go through the whole plane and CA all the joints.

Anyway, that's what I would do. I don't know if I'm being redundant with what you may have already tried.

Eric
zirfnat is offline Find More Posts by zirfnat
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:56 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I love my 70 extra.. would not trade it for NOTHING. LG is cracked.. BUT it was from a Dead stick harrier landing.. ( don't fly with dead batts!!!)
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Midaired my 70" at SEFF If anyone is looking for a setup for this plane I have everything you need ready to go. Same stuff as in the first post build log. Send me a PM I will make you a great deal. I'm going to do a 78" next and the gear is just sitting for someone in need.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Aug 31, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:15 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Midaired my 70" at SEFF If anyone is looking for a setup for this plane I have everything you need ready to go. Same stuff as in the first post build log. Send me a PM I will make you a great deal. I'm going to do a 78" next and the gear is just sitting for someone in need.
You going to do the 78 gas or electric?
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:09 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Electric.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:12 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Skore!!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
The elevator halves on the wreckage of that wouldn't happen to be any good would it. I dumped mine and could use a new elevator stab both sides if available. I sent EF an email but have never heard back on it.
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:02 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
I am loving the way my 70" flies but not happy with the flight times. I am running a Hacker A50-16s and 6S 5000mah packs. THe power is very good on a fresh pack and through most of the pack. I only get about 6 minutes and I am at about 80% battery consumed. The last minute or so has little punch. I have tried different props and the best for my flying style which is about 50% IMAC style and 50% 3D seems to be a XOAR 18x12. It is windy here a lot so I need the extra pitch speed to get much forward speed.

Any advice to get some longer flight times. I am open to going to 8s, maybe even converting to gas etc. to get decent flight times. I would really like about 8 minutes. even going to 5800's would only give me about 7 minutes.

Thanks!

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:10 AM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
1,665 Posts
I thought 5 minute flights were typical on that size battery?
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:15 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
I thought 5 minute flights were typical on that size battery?
Jeff
You may be right. I just may be too big of a tightwad to go out and buy 6 of these big batteries. I don't have a problem with 6 batteries and 5 minute flights on the 48" EXP.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:41 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
8s, maybe even converting to gas etc. to get decent flight times. I would really like about 8 minutes. even going to 5800's would only give me about 7 minutes.

Thanks!

Dan
I am using 8S for my Motrolfly 4325-310 in my 71" Slick. I am using two Gens Ace 4S 30c 5300mAh batteries and I can fly 9 minutes and be in the low 3.7's/cell. My timer is set at 8 minutes for a buffer in case there is traffic.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:46 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
I fly both my 71" Slick and 70" EF Extra on 8S 5000 for about 8 min of IMAC style flight. Plenty of time to run through the Basic known twice and have time to land safely. FWIW
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:11 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,068 Posts
Wrong thread.
olezippi is online now Find More Posts by olezippi
Last edited by olezippi; Sep 06, 2011 at 10:20 AM.