HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
Anyone running cooling ducting to motor? I am running a Hacker A50-16s. It was fine in cooler weather but now that tempss are over 100 it is getting too hot. Just looking for ideas on the easiest way to do it.

Thanks!

Dan
Sarcasm alert...

Flying in temps over 100!! Dude, put lights on it and fly at night.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:00 PM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Sarcasm alert...

Flying in temps over 100!! Dude, put lights on it and fly at night.
I was out flying on saturday from 11am until 2 pm got to almost 110 before I left. i didn't take the 70" because I knew it would be too hot for it. The 48" EXP does fine in the heat.

I checked and my club does not allow night flying. I would love to put the kids to bed and then go flying. The field is only 3 miles from my house. Of course last night at 10 it was still about 100. Our lows have only been in the 80's. I will take the heat all day long over the cold.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Last edited by why_fly_high; Jul 11, 2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: double post
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
I

I checked and my club does not allow night flying.
Sorry for the OT - but - wow, that's a shame. I'm sure they have good reason.

If you have a chance, night flying is simply a blast - although until now I've only used foamies- I'm currently outfitting my first balsa wing with internal lights - hope to fly it this weekend.

Hey, this was not OT -- it was Extra.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
I'm sure it is because there is a residential airpark behind our field and our club is almost entirely giant scale gas planes. I am sure the rule is based on noise which obviously not an issue with electrics. I have flown foam at night and powered gliders. I would light up an EXP if I had a place close by to fly it.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Jun 2009
12 Posts
Cracked Landing Gear Carbon Fiber, where to get a new one, on what can be changed?
wv482 is offline Find More Posts by wv482
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:07 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
EF sells them on their site. I've used ca and epoxy to patch some up until replacing.
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Yea. I have one that needs replacing too.. Harrier landing gone bad in the tall grass.. NExt time I will check for a full batt before flying...
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jun 2007
2 Posts
Motor Recommendation

I have been flying this model for almost a year now and enjoying it very much but recently I have been losing power mid flight. It seems to be happening regardless of the battery pack, usually flying with 7 cell Hyperions but sometimes 8 cells Nano Tech. I wondered if it may have been the higher temperatures outside and not enough air flow through the cowl. I flew tonight with the cowl off and had the same problem. When I landed the motor was about 110 degrees on the outside, 155 degrees on the inside, and the speed controller was about 100 degrees.

I am using the Scorpion motor 4035/330 that was originally used in this build thread and now thinking to replace with the Axi 5320/18. I notice on Axi's website they are only showing info for 6 cells. I would like to use my 7 cell packs. Is this Axi safe to run on 7 and 8 cell setups as well as the 6 Axi shows data for?

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help with my power loss?
rpm1 is offline Find More Posts by rpm1
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:25 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1 View Post
...I am using the Scorpion motor 4035/330 that was originally used in this build thread and now thinking to replace with the Axi 5320/18. I notice on Axi's website they are only showing info for 6 cells. I would like to use my 7 cell packs. Is this Axi safe to run on 7 and 8 cell setups as well as the 6 Axi shows data for?...
Have been flying this model on 8S with the 5320/18 since last Fall with no problems. In fact, I liked the Axi so much that I put another one in my new 8S 71" AJ Slick. Both have Xoar 18x8. With reasonable throttle management, I believe that this motor will last through more than one ESC, but I do NOT run either WOT the whole flight (no need). FWIW Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:17 AM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jun 2007
2 Posts
I now have the AXI motor but I am not sure about mounting it. Would anyone be able to post photos of their motor installation? Hoping for ideas before building a special motor box.
rpm1 is offline Find More Posts by rpm1
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:05 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1 View Post
I now have the AXI motor but I am not sure about mounting it. Would anyone be able to post photos of their motor installation? Hoping for ideas before building a special motor box.
Just get the right standoffs and its pretty straight forward. I got these from http://www.espritmodel.com/. I believe these are the 2" ones
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:29 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Wes ( my Buddy) has one of them on a 70'' . IT's Awesome!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:28 PM
Retired RC Flyer
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2008
220 Posts
Vx99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx99
care to elaborate chuck? i'm tossing up between either of the 60" exp's, or going up a size to the 70" at the moment. i can't see EF putting out a dud with their track record? plus, the 70" looks bitchin'

Disclaimer: LOL:

First let me say, I think this 70" Extra was one that slip through the cracks and Quality control. I have had 4 EF Planes, 48" Extra, 58" Extra, 70" Extra (this one), and the new 60" Edge. The only one I've had any trouble with is the 70" Extra.

Now Let Me Start My Rant on the 70" Extra.

While building, the right front rotation pin wouldn't line up with the right front hole in the frame when the wing tube was in. Had to inlarge hole in the airframe to install the wing.

Upon finishing the plane, I did a amp, wattage test of motor. Plane hasn't been in the air yet. I'am enclosing pics of plane that I also sent to EF, of the left side frame just behind firewall of(cracked or broken frame) that happened during static test.

Maiden Flight. Plane has a serious roll to the left. To hold level flight the ailerons are 1/8 to 3/16" misaligned with wings. To stop the plane from snapping the the left in loops have to keep right rudder trim in it. Many mixes in it for decent flying.

After about a dozen flights the carbon fiber front landing gear spilt and came apart from mounting bolts to axle shafts. EF did replace the landing gear, but have messed up front cowling.

After sending pics to EF And calls to them their reply was, Well it should be a easy fix for you. My reply to them was, I spend top dollarfor what I hope to be Quality equipment. It just bothers me to have to jerryrig or easy fix add weight to what I though would be quality equipment. " TO THIS DATE I STILL HAVE NO REPLY FROM EF'

The Extra sits with noting in. I have ordered a new 71" AJ Slick to replace it. Need to see 3DHS quality equipment.

Please do not get me wrong. Would not have said anything if you hadn't ask. I've even bought the new EF 60" Edge since then.

I am sure if you buy a 70" Extra all will be fine. EF builds quality equipment. Mine just slip through the cracks and EF left me holding the bag. Or so I think.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails 179.5 KB Views: 17
103.7 KB Views: 13
156.4 KB Views: 14
164.0 KB Views: 16
160.9 KB Views: 16

Today, 03:32 PM Report This Post to a Moderator #103
Tim Semeraro
Ducati Mechanic/Fly Extreme!

Distance from you: 841 miles I dont mind EXP chit chat, but let's stay on subject.. please move your dispute to the proper tread..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
clt12981 is offline Find More Posts by clt12981
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:52 PM
RCTC
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts
The 70" is a great plane

I have been flying my 70" for about a year now and it flys great.

The ARF went together very easy and I have had no issues with it.I have not had any of the issues CIT2981 has had! this is my 4th Extreme Flight plane and all four went together easy and flew well.
rctc is online now Find More Posts by rctc