HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:57 AM
3D crazy
Australia, QLD, Warwick
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Duke, I flew mine on a Scorpion 380kv 6S combo. I started with a 20x8 Xoar which didn't have enough speed. Switched to Xoar 19x10 and that's the sweet spot. Didn't try 20x10 but I think you'd be heating things up a bit.
Ok thanks for that, can you remember what amps and wattage you were getting with both those props on that motor.

Regards
Pete
dukeofearl is offline Find More Posts by dukeofearl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:02 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
This is the BEST looking plane I have EVER had in my Fleet!!!

Thanks TERRY for the Great deal!!!!

Thanks Chris H.. For the AWEsome work you do!!!!

can't wait to fly this tomorrow!!!!

It's POWERlines approved now!!!!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
See ya down at SEFF!!!!

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:21 AM
3D crazy
Australia, QLD, Warwick
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
herc,

You list on page 1 that you use a Castle Ulitmate BEC, I cant seem to find one under that name. Is it the CC BEC Pro or standard CC BEC ?

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Also on the topic of BEC's is there any advantage in using a BEC over plugging a 6.6v battery directly into the receiver to power the servo's. My understanding is that BEC's reduce power from higher voltage to lower voltage. If I'm using a separate battery pack for my receiver and servos etc then do I really need a BEC at all.

I have BEC'S on my 48" planes drawing the power from one large battery that is also powering the motor so I understand why its needed in that instance.

I'm not real sure when using two battery packs why its needed when I can simply choose the right voltage battery for the receiver to start with.

This is my first plane using separate batteries so its all new to me.

Regards
Pete
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:49 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofearl View Post
herc,

You list on page 1 that you use a Castle Ulitmate BEC, I cant seem to find one under that name. Is it the CC BEC Pro or standard CC BEC ?

Also on the topic of BEC's is there any advantage in using a BEC over plugging a 6.6v battery directly into the receiver to power the servo's. My understanding is that BEC's reduce power from higher voltage to lower voltage. If I'm using a separate battery pack for my receiver and servos etc then do I really need a BEC at all.

I have BEC'S on my 48" planes drawing the power from one large battery that is also powering the motor so I understand why its needed in that instance.

I'm not real sure when using two battery packs why its needed when I can simply choose the right voltage battery for the receiver to start with.

Regards
Pete
The reason to use a BEC is to regulate a higher voltage to something lower. For instance, if you were running a Lipo as your flight pack battery, and had servos/receiver that couldn't run on the 8+V of a fully charged Lipo, you would run a BEC in line with the Lipo and "regulate" the voltage down to 4.8 or 6V which would be acceptable to the servos.
If you are running (as an example) a 4.8V NiCad as your flight battery, then a BEC wouldn't be needed.
On these larger planes it is wise to run a seperate battery to power the servos and receiver whereas on the smaller planes the esc has a BEC built in to it and that supplies the voltage to the servos/receiver from the flight pack batteries. On the smaller planes this is dome for room and weight considerations where they are not an issue on the larger planes.
Also lots of folks are running LiPo's for their servo/receiver battery packs and since most servo's (except for the newest HV ones) are limited to up to 6V operation, that lipo needs to be voltages regulated down to 6V or less.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Last edited by Chuchuf; Mar 18, 2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:17 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I have run the LIFE packs since they come out.. I love them.. POWERfull and reasonably cheap.. I have them in 70'' plus.. I run a 2200 in my 50CC yak and it's rocking.. No regulator needed.. Just have to have a charger that will charge them.. LIFE=A123

LATER!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:37 AM
Live for Jesus, Fly For Fun
United States, MI
Joined Aug 2008
151 Posts
Quote:
Got the AR8000 with the Telemetry module. Willl connect Flight pack and temp sensors tomorrow.. LIFE in the HOUSE!!!

MOTROLFLY on the way!!!

Thanks KEN!!!!
Congrats on the 70", I have the same color scheme and really like it. I was looking at some of motrofly motors as well, if you get a chance to weigh it, let us know.
crazyflyin is offline Find More Posts by crazyflyin
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:51 AM
3D crazy
Australia, QLD, Warwick
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
Quote:
I have run the LIFE packs since they come out.. I love them.. POWERfull and reasonably cheap.. I have them in 70'' plus.. I run a 2200 in my 50CC yak and it's rocking.. No regulator needed.. Just have to have a charger that will charge them.. LIFE=A123

LATER!!
If I were to use Hitec MG analog servo's all round would the below battery be ok straight into the receiver without using a BEC. Its rated at 6.6v....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14468

Or would I be better going to 4.8v as Chuchuf suggested

http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c13/p843

If I did go to 4.8v would that be enough to power 5 analog servos ?

Regards
Pete
Last edited by dukeofearl; Mar 18, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I have used this with Digital soo far.. I have heard some servos don't work well over 6V I have a buddy that has the 645MG and he has no issues!!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyin View Post
Congrats on the 70", I have the same color scheme and really like it. I was looking at some of motrofly motors as well, if you get a chance to weigh it, let us know.

You want the motor or all up..

It has a turnigy on there now.. I will leave it for a while to test.. I told Terry I would..
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:58 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
herc,

Regards
Pete
I am using the BEC Pro. I think it used to be called the ultimate bec or maybe I'm losing my mind.

As for why to use one - mainly to provide clean steady power to the RX and servos. If you use a nicad or nimh the voltage to your gear will change as the battery discharges. Meaning, the plane will feel different when the pack is fresh than it will when it is more discharged. Also voltage will fluctuate under load from the servos and in my experience 2.4 RXs and digital servos perform best with clean steady power. The BEC will keep the voltage the same even under load and first flight or last flight will have exactly the same voltage.

Also, my 1300 lipo and BEC is lighter than a comparable nimh or nicad.

Also, I can charge a lipo to 100% in less than an hour without damaging it.

All that said, I would rather run a nimh or nicad without a regulator or bec than run a bec off the flight battery on a high power setup.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:11 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for that, can you remember what amps and wattage you were getting with both those props on that motor.

Regards
Pete
Pete, I didn't measure the 20x8. On the Xoar 19x10E I was pulling 83 amps.
It should be noted that the Xoar 19x10E is not a standard Xoar size and is available at just a few shops. I got mine at Chief Aircraft.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
Live for Jesus, Fly For Fun
United States, MI
Joined Aug 2008
151 Posts
Quote:
You want the motor or all up..

It has a turnigy on there now.. I will leave it for a while to test.. I told Terry I would..
I am interested in just the motor weight.
crazyflyin is offline Find More Posts by crazyflyin
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
Fly Extreme!!
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Oct 2007
218 Posts
I'm trying one of the Hobbico LiFe Source batteries in my 70". I've been running a123's for over 3 years and they are great. My friend that owns the Local hobby shop here started stocking these LiFe Source batteries so I thought I'd give one a try. It's lighter than the A123's also. If I didn't get this battery, I'd probably end up using a 2300 mah A123. I just like using them and not having to run a regulator. A Regulator/BEC would be fine in a plane this size but i'm just used to my bigger gassers and the benefits of not having regulators. I finally got my 70 back on the bench last night. I'll get it finished tonight. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get back to it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3595225
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Last edited by cjcyclesrc; Mar 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:34 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyin View Post
I am interested in just the motor weight.

this is from Kens site..

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html

* Weight: 455 grams
* Stator Width: 43mm
* Stator Height: 25mm
* Motor Width: 54.8mm
* Motor Length: 52mm
66.3mm X mount to Hub face
* Hub Length: 38.5mm
* Hub Shaft: 8mm x 30mm
* Motor Shaft Size: 6mm
* 12 tooth 14 magnet DLRK
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:35 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyclesrc View Post
I'm trying one of the Hobbico LiFe Source batteries in my 70". I've been running a123's for over 3 years and they are great. My friend that owns the Local hobby shop here started stocking these LiFe Source batteries so I thought I'd give one a try. It's lighter than the A123's also. If I didn't get this battery, I'd probably end up using a 2300 mah A123. I just like using them and not having to run a regulator. A Regulator/BEC would be fine in a plane this size but i'm just used to my bigger gassers and the benefits of not having regulators. I finally got my 70 back on the bench last night. I'll get it finished tonight. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get back to it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3595225

It's the ones I use.. I love them.. I have had them in the last few planes.. NO issues at all..