HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:40 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Me too. I really like the Hangar 9 arms. They fit the Turnigy servos perfect and you dont have to drill out a hole. The hole is threaded which means you can tighten the bolt to the arm, then tighten a nut on the backside of the bolt....redundancy. The elevator servos are really fast, but the ailerons seem a tad slow. I am using a different servo for the rudder
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12450 Its seems fast and crazy strong, but loud. Maybe when I get everything on the plane, Ill do a quick vid on the servos in action
Im about 90% complete. Im just doing some things that I get anal about. Im hoping to maiden it on Sunday.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:25 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Before I started building the plane. The comments in the thread suggested that I might be nose heavy. I got the plane done and expected both batteries to be right on the tube. They ended up like you see in the picture. Thats with CG at 5" back from the leading edge and everything on the plane including SFG's.
Did you guys end up moving the pack back after the initial flight? Im hoping to maiden tommorow but they are calling for wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,299 Posts
Start on the suggested and adjust after flying. Mine end up close to the tube on 8S and a little further forward on 7S & 6S

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Last edited by Chuchuf; Dec 04, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:36 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
With the recommended AXI 5320/18 up front, mine balances two Turnigy 4S 5000s right up against the wing tube in the forward part of the CG range.

Wind forcast for NJ/PA is crummy for the whole weekend - looks like time to work on planes in the garage and, uh, do some chores on the honey do list.

Good luck if you can maiden!
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:25 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Heres a vid of the servo speed. Turnigy's on Elevator and rudder...Blue Birds on ailerons and they seem slow

70 Extra servo speed.AVI (0 min 24 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:46 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Maidened it today. I got 4 flights in and am thrilled. This is the first large plane Ive flown and it is the easiest plane Ive ever flown. Ive allways heard that bigger flies better and I can now verify that.
I had a crowd at the field helping me out and everyone was impressed by the flight and the power. After the maiden, I moved the pack back an inch...Im still not at the tube. Flew the next 3 flights with the batteries in that position. I may end up moving the batts even further back.
2 people commented that the landing gear is slightly faceing towards the rear and they suggested that I reverse the gear. Is the landing gear supposed to go just one way? I looked in the instructions just now and it doesnt mention it. Ive attached some pics of the plane from today....see if you guys can tell if the gear is on wrong. I dont feel like getting the plane out of its shoehorned position in the backseat of the truck right now. Can someone post a good pic of their gear with a ruler or triangle so I can compare the angle of the gear vs the fuselage and ill compare that with mine tommorow.
One more thing. My rollout after landing is forever. Its like the wheels are on bearings. Is there something I can do to reduce that. It was suggested at the field that I could put a little fuel tubing on the axle. Whadya think?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:52 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Congrats on the first flights!

A technique I learned from an experienced pattern pilot and electric flyer is to program the esc brake to provide some resistance, but not too much to stop the prop. It slows the plane on downlines and I use it to slow the Extra on short final as it is a very clean airframe. 20% brake on the ICE 100 works great. Another trick he taught me is to wag the rudder to slow the plane down if it's hot on final. Then there is always the slips. I find that if I am too hot on short final with this Extra, then the rollout is going to be long!

Hope this helps. Hope the winds give me a break so I can fly tomorrow too!
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:10 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Congrats on maiden! Happy for you that it was successful and that you enjoyed it. Yes, gear facing forward:
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:20 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Congrats on maiden! Happy for you that it was successful and that you enjoyed it. Yes, gear facing forward
That should have been mentioned in the manual. Not sure how Im gonna get the landing gear fairing off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:29 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Before I go tearing into this. Can you guys verify from my pic that it is on backwards. Its looks like 90 degrees with the plane on a level surface.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:02 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it if the fairings are too hard to move. Different is good!

You might try turning the LG anyway. From the looks of mine I think the gear would turn around without the fairings being an issue.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:12 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
The plane has a tiny bit of ground loop tendancy. After my flights, I taxied through the grass and the tail kept popping up...1 time the prop struck and stopped, even with full up elevator. Making the landing gear right would solve that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:17 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Yup
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:44 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
I got it done. Luckily for me, I didnt follow all the directions. The manual stated that you should glue the fairings onto the fuse. I glued them to just the LG, so it was an easy swap. You think I should be different and leave the wheel pants alone?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:08 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Backward pants are neat

For the next guys building this plane: "18. Slide the fairings over the landing gear and against the sides of the fuselage. You may need to open the hole in the fairing slightly with a rotary tool bit for proper fit. Use a pencil to mark the location of the bottom of the fairing on the landing gear and then
remove the fairing.
19.Apply a thick bead of silicon glue or epoxy just below your pencil line all the way around the gear. Slide the fairing back into place and apply masking tape to keep it
in position while the glue dries."

Pics from the build log: