HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
I bought CryHavoc38's EF 70" Exp running the Scorpion 4035-380 with the Hobbywing 100 amp pentium.

Everything is working great, I setup the pentium at high timing, I have a question....

The 20x8 Xoar prop on it didn't have enough speed and vertical for my liking so I ordered up a Xoar 19x10. Now here's the thing, I mis-ordered and got the regular xoar prop instead of their E series but weighs about 32 grams more and has a larger hub. I don't think this will be a problem but thought I'd run it through the group here...?

This is a really fun plane, this size is convenient, I like the single 6S pack instead of flying (and charging) two flight packs, and "the clown" fits in the Cooper!
Cool! I would probably get the right xoar for it. The gas prop may be a tad too much. What kinda numbers are you getting on the watt meter and flight times? Do you call it the clown because of the colors!

I think I'm gonna go with that one just because it is loud and it does look cool. What blue is that on the yellow. red and blue one.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:27 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Yes it's the clown, with the blue, yellow and red, and especially the red shoes it got nicknamed the clown lol.

It's very flamboyant. Easy to see too. I'm kind of a purist but I love this thing, it's got a lot of personality. If Wayne Newton flew RC he'd probably get one of these.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Yes it's the clown, with the blue, yellow and red, and especially the red shoes it got nicknamed the clown lol.

It's very flamboyant. Easy to see too. I'm kind of a purist but I love this thing, it's got a lot of personality. If Wayne Newton flew RC he'd probably get one of these.
Flop,

remind me to give you the canopy heat shield and the LG/fuse fairings.

Yup, thats the clown plane. I build them, fly em, and sell them off to go to the next thing...I guess I'm just an EG Aircraft Kool Aid drinker.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:19 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
OK, yes, the fairings are really cool and set the EF planes apart in styling. Cry, you should pack up the gear and come down to Molalla, Ore. for the Pac Coast Freestyle Championship this weekend. Night time electric freestyle on Saturday, and a full day of freestyles on Sunday. I think John Wondra might be flying one of those EGs and Azhar will be there.

Cory, the blue on it is close to the blue on the 88" Extra, but it's just a little more green in it, call it a teal-blue. The yellow is a little darker and the red too, it's really a striking scheme.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:52 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you there Flop! Yes, John W will be flying the EG Raven and Azhar will be there with all his stuff.

We should really put some lights on the clown and fly it in the night fly instead of the EXPs! You up for it? -please???
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:04 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
OK, yes, the fairings are really cool and set the EF planes apart in styling. Cry, you should pack up the gear and come down to Molalla, Ore. for the Pac Coast Freestyle Championship this weekend. Night time electric freestyle on Saturday, and a full day of freestyles on Sunday. I think John Wondra might be flying one of those EGs and Azhar will be there.

Cory, the blue on it is close to the blue on the 88" Extra, but it's just a little more green in it, call it a teal-blue. The yellow is a little darker and the red too, it's really a striking scheme.
thats not too far down south into oregon. Could be doable.

checking out the web site now.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:38 AM
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,830 Posts
Quote:
OK, yes, the fairings are really cool and set the EF planes apart in styling.
Alot of the pictures are washing out the colors of the plane. The Higher Plane picture from Fred sure makes it look good. So the blue kinda looks like the blue on my 58'' 300. I think it would look sweet in person.

Thanks!

Cory
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
Portland/NJ/NY
Joined Jun 2010
59 Posts
Great Job ExtremeFlight~! This is a winnder in 70" Category,Looks like very Hight Quality Kit And hercdriver7777 Makes it look so Easy Great review hercdriver7777,Also noticed she Lands Nice And Slow I like that
Anyone knows where i can pick up An AXI Motor For this Plane At A Good Price?
Prestigeauto is offline Find More Posts by Prestigeauto
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Got a chance to fly 3 packs in cool 57 degree morning on this ef 70" with the 19x10 glow xoar. Cory, I'm too lazy to send it back and get the electrics prop so I thought I'd give it a try.

The report is good. The 19x10 is *way* better than the 20x8 with the Scorpion. Most certainly for 3D, I couldn't do any big high stuff as it was foggy, but the limited vertical I was able to test seemed very good.

Since I was flying 6:00 on 6S 5000mah packs with the 20x8 and putting in about 2800mah, I think I can get 7:00 on the 19x10 and keep it under 3800. I'll be quite happy with that.

My AUW is 9.25 lbs, this is a very good light setup for 3D!

Harriers, harrier rollers and torque rolls are great. Especially harrier rollers, get the nose up high and she does 'em nice and slow, looks very big!

One surprise was inverted harrier -- more challenging then I expected, I had a tought time keeping the nose up high in the IH, but I'm sure my brain will make the adjustments for it with more flights.

The clown really like to TR, I had to blip the throttle and fan the ailerons a bit to get her into a stable hover, but wow, she hovers and TRs very well. The Clown colors are b..a..d! love it.

I tried the SFGs and that helped slow down the rollers even more, but I think it made the IHs more difficult. I thought KE was easier without the SFGs, they introduced a little roll coupling, but, I have to experiment more with them. I suspect she will to a slower HA KE with them on.

Tomorrow I'll put it on the wattmeter to double check the amps with that prop but I'm sure it'll be good.

Also, Daniel Holman will put the clown through the ringer on Sunday! Hopefully some great video from Daniel to come......
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,830 Posts
Sounds great. I bet that gas prop though is making it torque roll more?
That's kinda weird about the inverted harrier, but not surprised. I've had a few planes do the same thing. Thanks for all the info.

Cory
Last edited by RC4x4; Jul 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:18 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4 View Post
Sounds great. I bet that gas prop though is making it torque roll more?

Cory
what's the theory there? Heavier, thicker prop?

Funny thing is I had a fat turnigy 13x6.5 fuel prop on my 48" Exp and loved the 3D performance, I wonder if there's a benefit from them. ?? A heavier prop is going to spin a little slower, be less efficient, so not good, but maybe that increases resolution in the sweet spot = good.

They sound a little different too.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:37 PM
click here
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2008
624 Posts
Flop, an unstable inverted harrier can mean that you're tail heavy. Does it porpoise any when you slow down for a landing? More importantly, does anyone have a good clown emoticon?
straightedge_ is offline Find More Posts by straightedge_
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:30 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Edge, that could be, I will check that out, she seemed about right, but that might explain why the rollers can get so slow ... the IH on the 88 and the 48 Exp is great, so I am surprised about it on the 70..... I will have to fly some more packs tonight and be more methodical about setup -- I'm lazy......
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:33 PM
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,830 Posts
Quote:
what's the theory there? Heavier, thicker prop?

Funny thing is I had a fat turnigy 13x6.5 fuel prop on my 48" Exp and loved the 3D performance, I wonder if there's a benefit from them. ?? A heavier prop is going to spin a little slower, be less efficient, so not good, but maybe that increases resolution in the sweet spot = good.

They sound a little different too.
That gas prop is gonna have a bigger paddle than the electric prop and heavier. I tried a nitro prop once on an electric plane and it was interesting, but I did not like it.
I'm really curious on what numbers you are getting.

Cory
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Portland/NJ/NY
Joined Jun 2010
59 Posts
i Cant Wait To get this Plane,Just Waiting On Sale Of My BRAND NEW BNF 51" Slick,Its Ready To Bind To Any JR/Spectrum Receiver,Thanx for all the support here
Prestigeauto is offline Find More Posts by Prestigeauto
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)