HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:47 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2011
510 Posts
Is there any news on this model being released with the new scheme?
bwbkx125 is online now Find More Posts by bwbkx125
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Not that I have heard of... I know Chris has been working real hard to get some new designs to the market.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
Post up some ideas... ya never know what might happen.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:23 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I just wanna get some new batts and go fly!!!!!!! ;( being too busy to shoot bows and fly planes and play golf sux!!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Ha! I feel ya; I blew a cell out on one of my 6s 5000's this weekend... need to order a few fresh packs for the 70"
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Got my 70" extra maidened today.

Very nice piece of kit, high quality hardware as expected and flys straight as an arrow.

Tail incidence perfect, downlines perfect right off the bat.

I thought I might have a nose heavy issue at home as the Motrofly DM5320-300 on 8s is a lot of weight plus the DA 3.24" standoffs and bolts but the batteries were right in the middle of the tray so couldn't be happier. throws I'm getting about 50deg elevator, 45 deg aileron and about 1/2" off full on rudder both sides using the recommended SWB arms.

Trimming was almost non existent, a couple of clicks aileron, couple elevator and tracking very true and clean.

One thing I wondered is how much throw do I need to get this thing to tumble and so forth? I tried a few tumbles today and it was not very impressive.

Only issue is, trying a few touch and goes on the third flight and the dreaded landing gear snapped pretty clean on the right hand side half way up. Wasn't even a harrier landing.

I pretty much stuffed one wheel pant, one landing gear and one Xoar 19x10 prop in this little issue, NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

What gives Chris, I've seen this issue come up a few times as I've read through this 70" EF thread.

The LG in my 70" slick has taken a hell of a pounding, crashed several times, ripped rudders out on hard three point landings and still holding up as strong as day one. This extra snapped without even trying????
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:19 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I never get too disappointed by a snapped landing gear. To me, a snapped gear usually means I will not have to make any repairs to the fuse, or landing gear plate. I would far rather the gear break than the impact going into the airframe and putting me on the bench...

If it makes ya feel any better, I have gone through about a half dozen gears in the last two years on one of my non-EF planes
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post

Very nice piece of kit, high quality hardware as expected and flys straight as an arrow.

I thought I might have a nose heavy issue at home as the Motrofly DM5320-300 on 8s is a lot of weight plus the DA 3.24" standoffs and bolts but the batteries were right in the middle of the tray so couldn't be happier. throws I'm getting about 50deg elevator, 45 deg aileron and about 1/2" off full on rudder both sides using the recommended SWB arms.

Trimming was almost non existent, a couple of clicks aileron, couple elevator and tracking very true and clean.

One thing I wondered is how much throw do I need to get this thing to tumble and so forth? I tried a few tumbles today and it was not very impressive.

Only issue is, trying a few touch and goes on the third flight and the dreaded landing gear snapped pretty clean on the right hand side half way up. Wasn't even a harrier landing.

I pretty much stuffed one wheel pant, one landing gear and one Xoar 19x10 prop in this little issue, NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

What gives Chris, I've seen this issue come up a few times as I've read through this 70" EF thread.

The LG in my 70" slick has taken a hell of a pounding, crashed several times, ripped rudders out on hard three point landings and still holding up as strong as day one. This extra snapped without even trying????
I wonder if its worth coating the gear in something first.

Previously I have fixed broken gear with Kevlar thread and epoxy resin.
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post

Sorry to see that. I have spoken with DA Australia and they will take care of you. Lets take a minute and talk about carbon landing gear, and this is not pointed at you bigroger, but a PSA to all reading.
The sole purpose of including carbon gear in these planes is weight reduction. With this weight reduction comes certain traits that one must be aware of. Landings need to be smooth and consistent. Speed must be reduced completely before turning the aircraft. Carbon gear do not handle side loads well at all and will collapse if the aircraft is turned abruptly at speed. We can certainly increase the thickness of the gear, but then we are at the weight of the aluminum gear, and the carbon serves no purpose other than the bling factor.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
I havent flown anything 70" and im quite happy with my 60 edge gear so far, but i think that comparison was between ef and 3dhs landing gears....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Sorry to see that. I have spoken with DA Australia and they will take care of you. Lets take a minute and talk about carbon landing gear, and this is not pointed at you bigroger, but a PSA to all reading.
The sole purpose of including carbon gear in these planes is weight reduction. With this weight reduction comes certain traits that one must be aware of. Landings need to be smooth and consistent. Speed must be reduced completely before turning the aircraft. Carbon gear do not handle side loads well at all and will collapse if the aircraft is turned abruptly at speed. We can certainly increase the thickness of the gear, but then we are at the weight of the aluminum gear, and the carbon serves no purpose other than the bling factor.
Excellent service. I'm glad I purchased a EF now
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Yeah. Carbon doesn't like side loads at all. If you come in hot for a wheel landing and set it down on one wheel at a time (like you're supposed to in order to reduce bounce) then you BETTER be going straight as an arrow. If you're sideways a little because of wind or inaccurate rudder trim or what-have-you, it will break. The best shot is to reduce speed enough to make a gentle three point landing. If you must make a wheel landing, be concious of your speed and yaw attitude when touching down.

And +1 for rather breaking the gear than the fuse.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks Chris.

And agree 100% on what you are saying.

But very surprised this happened, landing very smooth, not very fast and on smoth concrete runway.

Never broken an ef lg before, even in my 48" ef planes that I had gear plate former issues, the 60" extra and edge I have smashed both but never had the lg break.

I had an esc reset on my 60" edge on second flight while trying to pull out of hover, I was about 6' off the deck and managed to get it over into a three point slam down.

Busted that prop but no damage to the gear.

Maybe the 70" gear needs a tiny fraction more beef, an extra 5grams or something.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Hey guys quick question,

I've got the AXI 5320/18 on order, gens ace 6s 5300, and the cc ice 100 esc, and I'll most likely be running the hs225s/hs985s (no digital) and I've got the small blue 10a cc separate bec laying around and I'd LOVE to use it if possible....am I asking for trouble with that small bec? Should I just buy the cc bec pro to be on the safe side? Forgot to mention, i'd like to use the 20x8 zoar with this setup...any thoughts??
ellzy_21 is offline Find More Posts by ellzy_21
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I would think the 10amp would be fine for 5 analog servos, but hopefully an expert might chime in here...

Im very excited, just picked up four 6s3300 batteries for the MXS; I am also going to use them in the 70"Extra making a 6s6600 battery.
RCG Plus Member