HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelyal8r View Post
So...why run both a separate BEC and battery to power the servos....redundancy? If the flight pack dies will the external bec take over running the servos?
In my case the Caste Ultimate BEC is just acting like a regulator. You could just run a plain old regulator or NIMH, NICAD, A123 etc. You could also run lipo without regulator if all your equipment can handle the voltage. The key point for me is that the power system for the RX and servos is separate from the power system for the motor.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,865 Posts
Quote:
So in your 70" planes are you just using the ccbec pro as a regulator for the 2s 1600 flight pack?
That's basically what I'm doing. I just unplug it after I unplug the power pack or packs. Gotta pop the canopy anyways.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:44 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
So in your 70" planes are you just using the ccbec pro as a regulator for the 2s 1600 flight pack?
Yes.
The ccbec pro's have two power leads coming from it so I install both into the receiver for redundancy. I set my output voltage to 6s.

The CCBEC Pro's are good to 12s input voltage, but I like to run a separate 2s lipo for the BEC Pro to keep my electronics power separate from the motor power.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:47 PM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
Round Rock, TX
Joined May 2004
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Yes.
The ccbec pro's have two power leads coming from it so I install both into the receiver for redundancy. I set my output voltage to 6s.

The CCBEC Pro's are good to 12s input voltage, but I like to run a separate 2s lipo for the BEC Pro to keep my electronics power separate from the motor power.
Cool, thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to skip the external BEC all together and just pick up an 1100 mah Life pack to plug directly into my rx. I like clean and simple. I think I'll keep a little note to myself in the fuse that says "Did you charge me?"
smelyal8r is offline Find More Posts by smelyal8r
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Cool, thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to skip the external BEC all together and just pick up an 1100 mah Life pack to plug directly into my rx. I like clean and simple. I think I'll keep a little note to myself in the fuse that says "Did you charge me?"
sounds like a plan.

I'd recommend you get one of those MPI external switches that has the Bar LED's on the switch that shows voltage Level, GREEN/YELLOW/RED

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
Round Rock, TX
Joined May 2004
2,052 Posts
Oh that's cool! I was just thinking that if I run a straight flight pack I will need a switch. Thanks for the link!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:33 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
The Jeti voltage regulator units are also an option. I've never seen them mentioned on RCGroups but they look good and Jeti stuff usually is.

They do 3 units:

MAX BEC
This seems to be a straightforward voltage regulator.
Max input voltage: 16V (5.5V-8.4V recommended for full 12A/5A performance)
Output voltage: 5.0V / 5.4V / 5.7V / 6.0V
Pulsed current: 12A
Sustained current: 5A
weight: 28g

MAX BEC 2
This one has a higher current limit and can use 2 battery packs for redundancy if desired.
On/off via remote heavy duty jumper.
Max input voltage: 16V (5.5V-8.4V recommended for full 20A/12A performance)
No. of inputs: 2
Output voltage: 5.0V / 5.4V / 5.7V / 6.0V
Pulsed current: 20A
Sustained current: 12A
weight: 85g

MAX BEC 2D
This has high current limits, can use 2 battery packs for redundancy if desired.
Jeti duplex telemetry is included and on/off is via remote magnetic switch.
Max input voltage: 16V (5.5V-8.4V recommended for full 20A/12A performance)
No. of inputs: 2
Output voltage: 5.0V-6.0V
Pulsed current: 20A
Sustained current: 12A
Includes Jeti Duplex telemetry for both input voltages and temperature
weight: 85g

I'm between minds on going with a single NiMH pack direct to the RX or using 2 lipos (2s 800mAh or similar) with the Jeti MAX BEC 2D. I'll be using Jeti Duplex radio so I'll have receiver voltage telemetry either way (can set a transmitter alarm for low RX voltage) which makes either option pretty fool proof. The direct NiMH would be the lighter and cheaper solution so I'll probably do that.

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Last edited by Aio_1; Jul 15, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:14 AM
click here
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2008
624 Posts
Aidan,

You're looking at about $25 for the direct set up:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHFP5&P=ML (needs NiMH charger) or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYAS7&P=7 (needs LiFe charger).
straightedge_ is offline Find More Posts by straightedge_
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge_ View Post
Aidan,

You're looking at about $25 for the direct set up:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHFP5&P=ML (needs NiMH charger) or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYAS7&P=7 (needs LiFe charger).
Yep, direct is lighter and MUCH cheaper.

However be careful if you're using 2s LiFe instead of 4 or 5 cell NiMH.
Most servos are specified as 4.8V-6.0V and I don't know if they're all capable of operating reliably with the higher voltage of LiFe. It's lower than Lipo but still higher than 5 cell NiMH.

Does anyone know if any, or all, of the Hitec servos (with the exception of their high voltage range) are okay with direct 2s LiFe. Maybe everyone's using them and it's no problem or maybe you need a regulator to be safe - I don't know!
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:46 AM
Round Rock, TX
Joined May 2004
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1 View Post
Yep, direct is lighter and MUCH cheaper.

However be careful if you're using 2s LiFe instead of 4 or 5 cell NiMH.
Most servos are specified as 4.8V-6.0V and I don't know if they're all capable of operating reliably with the higher voltage of LiFe. It's lower than Lipo but still higher than 5 cell NiMH.

Does anyone know if any, or all, of the Hitec servos (with the exception of their high voltage range) are okay with direct 2s LiFe. Maybe everyone's using them and it's no problem or maybe you need a regulator to be safe - I don't know!
According to the testing that Everydayflyer has done, there is no more voltage under load in a 2s Life as a 5 cell Nimh.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:58 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
I just bought one of these last Thursday, started the build on Friday, finished it Saturday and flew it on Sunday.... VERY fast build, great components, going to be a great plane once I do a little more trimming work.

I went with a Hacker A60 22S motor, running 10s 3400 packs... after about 7 minutes of moderate flying, still 50% left... so that should be fine. Balance will be an issue with larger packs... both packs are right in front of the tube now, but I had to put 4 ounces of weight in the stab tube. Total flying weight was right at 11 pounds.... not bad for 1000 sq inches of wing.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:50 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
Here's a few pictures of mine... I got a few graphics from B&E, but didn't want to cover the whole plane with stuff.....
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:32 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Looking good Reyn!

I put another 10 flights on mine this morning and I am stoked to get back to it tomorrow!

I have decided that 7S is my favorite setup with my AXI motor. Just the right amount of weight and power.

And, I finally decided to try the SFGs and I really like them too. On this plane the SFGs do make a big difference. Everything just feels a little more locked in. Maybe I have just been flying the Edge so much with the SFGs that I am used to them now. In any case, I recommend everyone at least try them on this plane.

If the weather is good tomorrow I will shoot some video.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:19 PM
Lier, Norway
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
I have been flying the Gernot Bruckman 70" Yak 55M with AXi 5320/18 on 6S with great sucsess.

Also been flying 2S LiFE unregulated over a lot of different servoes tha last 2 years without having any problems.

The Yak performs well on 6S:
Gernot Bruckman Yak 1,8m from www.el-fly.dk (3 min 54 sec)
affas is online now Find More Posts by affas
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
I bought CryHavoc38's EF 70" Exp running the Scorpion 4035-380 with the Hobbywing 100 amp pentium.

Everything is working great, I setup the pentium at high timing, I have a question....

The 20x8 Xoar prop on it didn't have enough speed and vertical for my liking so I ordered up a Xoar 19x10. Now here's the thing, I mis-ordered and got the regular xoar prop instead of their E series but weighs about 32 grams more and has a larger hub. I don't think this will be a problem but thought I'd run it through the group here...?

This is a really fun plane, this size is convenient, I like the single 6S pack instead of flying (and charging) two flight packs, and "the clown" fits in the Cooper!
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun