HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:42 AM
Registered User
awry's Avatar
Norway, Rogaland, Sandnes
Joined Oct 2009
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
The flying was done by Flopgun so I could put it to video.
He is always willing to fly my planes.


Was not aware of the PCFC. Will have to look that up and if I am there, you can of course fly all my planes!
Congrats on your new plane! May I ask what setup you're running?

I'm considering getting the Extra 70" but I still can't decide if I'm going for 6,7 or 8s. I have a couple of 6s 2600mAH so I guess I could run that in parallel. Is that ok? There's always a lot of wind where I'm flying though so maybe I should get an 8s setup for the extra weight and power. Any thoughts on that?
awry is offline Find More Posts by awry
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
cryhavoc38's Avatar
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awry View Post
Congrats on your new plane! May I ask what setup you're running?

I'm considering getting the Extra 70" but I still can't decide if I'm going for 6,7 or 8s. I have a couple of 6s 2600mAH so I guess I could run that in parallel. Is that ok? There's always a lot of wind where I'm flying though so maybe I should get an 8s setup for the extra weight and power. Any thoughts on that?
Power plant is a Scorpion 4035-380, Xoar 20x12 prop, Hobbywing Pentium 100A esc, and a 6s 5000mAh lipo.

I didn't measure all up weight, BUT I did weigh the plane minus the battery and canopy, and it was about 6.5lbs if I recall correctly. Add about a pound for the 6s 5000, and I'm under 8lbs all up weight.

I will weigh it again today as now I am curious as to what its all up weight is.

Anyways with my power plant on a 6s, it flys great and I've been flying about 7 minutes on a timer and my packs have about 37-40% left in them on average. I use a Megapower Smart Guard battery checker and it gives an accurate fuel guage readout. Its the same unit as the "new" hyperion Sentry battery checker and is a great tool by the way.

with regards to my servo's, I'm using HS-5245's for the elevator halves, and then three Power HD 9150 digital MG's for the ailerons and rudder.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
click here
straightedge_'s Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2008
624 Posts
Wow, 8 lbs is light. Nice flying FlopGun and thanks Cry for posting. Does the orange on both the top and bottom cause any orientation problems when the airplane is far away?
straightedge_ is offline Find More Posts by straightedge_
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:24 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
cryhavoc38's Avatar
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge_ View Post
Wow, 8 lbs is light. Nice flying FlopGun and thanks Cry for posting. Does the orange on both the top and bottom cause any orientation problems when the airplane is far away?
Orientation is not an issue at all. There is enough of a pattern difference to see whats up and down. I mainly use the tail fin for orientation though.

For much smaller planes, say a park flyer in the mid 30's to mid 40 inch wingspans, I feel orientation and the pattern/color differentiation is more of an issue since the rudders are smaller and at a distance, less visible.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
Registered User
Aio_1's Avatar
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a 3DHS Slick 70" for quite a while now. It would be my first large electric (most of mine are <200W) but I was put off by the cost of shipping it to Ireland from the US.
So, I'm delighted to see Extreme Flight coming up with a nice 70" Extra.
It'll definitely be easier to get hold of and it meets my requirements just as well as the Slick. It might even be a better choice going by Chris's comments as I want to do some precision flying as well as 3D.

I was looking at the Motrolfly 4325-380 on 6s, propped for about 1800W (prop should be in the region of 19x10, 20x8 or 20x10 APC or Xoar). It's cheaper and lighter than the Axi 5320/18 but perhaps less efficient. Any opinions on this or would I be better going with an AXI or a Hacker that could cope better with 8s if I decide to change later?
I'd consider a Scorpion 4035 except I'd rather have a bolt on prop adaptor if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
I didn't measure all up weight, BUT I did weigh the plane minus the battery and canopy, and it was about 6.5lbs if I recall correctly. Add about a pound for the 6s 5000, and I'm under 8lbs all up weight.
Thanks for the video. I think your weight for a 6s 5000mAh pack might be optimistic. I haven't seen many packs that size lighter than 750g (26.5oz).

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
cryhavoc38's Avatar
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1 View Post
I've been thinking about getting a 3DHS Slick 70" for quite a while now. It would be my first large electric (most of mine are <200W) but I was put off by the cost of shipping it to Ireland from the US.
So, I'm delighted to see Extreme Flight coming up with a nice 70" Extra.
It'll definitely be easier to get hold of and it meets my requirements just as well as the Slick. It might even be a better choice going by Chris's comments as I want to do some precision flying as well as 3D.

I was looking at the Motrolfly 4325-380 on 6s, propped for about 1800W (prop should be in the region of 19x10, 20x8 or 20x10 APC or Xoar). It's cheaper and lighter than the Axi 5320/18 but perhaps less efficient. Any opinions on this or would I be better going with an AXI or a Hacker that could cope better with 8s if I decide to change later?
I'd consider a Scorpion 4035 except I'd rather have a bolt on prop adaptor if possible.


Thanks for the video. I think your weight for a 6s 5000mAh pack might be optimistic. I haven't seen many packs that size lighter than 750g (26.5oz).

Aidan
hmm, thought they were about a pound...perhaps a pound and a half...I'm not home right now so I can't weigh one.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:43 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
a Infinity motor you would recommend?
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
cryhavoc38's Avatar
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
a Infinity motor you would recommend?

The 4035-360 for a 6s setup
Its a great alternative to the scorp 4035-380.

If you are thinking of going with an 8s setup then the 4035-300 would be great.

use coupon code
AV757905 to get 10% off
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jul 12, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1 View Post
I've been thinking about getting a 3DHS Slick 70" for quite a while now. It would be my first large electric (most of mine are <200W) but I was put off by the cost of shipping it to Ireland from the US.
So, I'm delighted to see Extreme Flight coming up with a nice 70" Extra.
It'll definitely be easier to get hold of and it meets my requirements just as well as the Slick. It might even be a better choice going by Chris's comments as I want to do some precision flying as well as 3D.

I was looking at the Motrolfly 4325-380 on 6s, propped for about 1800W (prop should be in the region of 19x10, 20x8 or 20x10 APC or Xoar). It's cheaper and lighter than the Axi 5320/18 but perhaps less efficient. Any opinions on this or would I be better going with an AXI or a Hacker that could cope better with 8s if I decide to change later?
I'd consider a Scorpion 4035 except I'd rather have a bolt on prop adaptor if possible.


Thanks for the video. I think your weight for a 6s 5000mAh pack might be optimistic. I haven't seen many packs that size lighter than 750g (26.5oz).

Aidan
"The 4035-360 for a 6s setup
Its a great alternative to the scorp 4035-380.

If you are thinking of going with an 8s setup then the 4035-300 would be great.

use coupon code
AV757905 to get 10% off "


Thank you again.

Fred
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:14 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
cryhavoc38's Avatar
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
"The 4035-360 for a 6s setup
Its a great alternative to the scorp 4035-380.

If you are thinking of going with an 8s setup then the 4035-300 would be great.

use coupon code
AV757905 to get 10% off "


Thank you again.

Fred
welcome!

One more choice would be the 5020-250 on 8s with a 20 or 21" prop.

I've installed one in a 70" Abell RC Extra 260 and when powered by 7s, it was a "sport" setup. It would shine on 8s with a 20-21" prop.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:27 PM
Registered User
Midland, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
101 Posts
Just a heads up on 6s battery wt.
25c Blue Lipo- 27.3oz.
25c Turnigy - 27.7oz.
Ron
classicrod is offline Find More Posts by classicrod
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:46 PM
Registered User
Aio_1's Avatar
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Is there any significant difference between Extreme Flight's 70" Extra EXP and 78" Extra aside from the size?
I'm assuming the EXP name extension has a specific meaning but what it is?

If the difference in cost for the completed aircraft isn't huge and if either will fit in my car I'd be tempted to go for the larger of the two unless there's some other difference I'm missing.

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:59 PM
click here
straightedge_'s Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2008
624 Posts
I was asking the same thing at our flying field, Aidan. There are 4 or 5 EF 78" Extras there. The battery/ESC/BEC arrangement you want to use is an important factor to consider. A 6S 5000mAh 2000 Watt set up can be just one pack that powers a BEC and low voltage ESC. The 78" is a proven winner and 3D performer, but it weighs about 33% more than the 70" and uses 2 of the 5S 5000mAh packs and needs a separate rx battery and regulator (or pro-BEC) as well as a high voltage ESC.
straightedge_ is offline Find More Posts by straightedge_
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:37 AM
Registered User
Aio_1's Avatar
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge_ View Post
I was asking the same thing at our flying field, Aidan. There are 4 or 5 EF 78" Extras there. The battery/ESC/BEC arrangement you want to use is an important factor to consider. A 6S 5000mAh 2000 Watt set up can be just one pack that powers a BEC and low voltage ESC. The 78" is a proven winner and 3D performer, but it weighs about 33% more than the 70" and uses 2 of the 5S 5000mAh packs and needs a separate rx battery and regulator (or pro-BEC) as well as a high voltage ESC.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'd aim for 1700W-2000W for the 70" or 2400W-2700W for the 78". A 6s or 8s pack could provide that for the 70" and I'd probably go for 8s or 10s for the 78". Either way I think I'll use a separate RX pack. I don't see any major advantage in a super-BEC off the flightpack or an RX lipo and regulator over the simple unregulated NiMH or A123 approach.

The motor, cells and airframe for the 78" will be a little more expensive but everything else should be about the same. What I don't know is whether there's any significant aerodynamic differences between the 2 planes or if it's essentially the same design in 2 different sizes.

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:59 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
sun.flyer's Avatar
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
FWIW, I've had great success utilizing the internal BEC unit in my Castle ICE 100 with (4) HS-985MG servos in a 68" size electric flown on 6s 5000mah packs.

I believe the problem most people are having using the internal BEC units on the ICE or similar units is they are running top end digital servos (HS-7955 etc.) in these size planes. If you have these sevos available on hand to use that's great, but be ready to buy a seperate BEC unit. However, these high end digital servos are not required (and not needed) to fly a plane of this size. These are servos more commonly used in giant scale (50CC and up) applications.

Just a thought.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion EXTREME FLIGHT 48" Extra 300 EXP. VIDEO ADDED! hemituda 3D Flying 8659 Nov 22, 2014 02:47 PM
Discussion Extreme Flight RC 48" Extra 300 EXP Build mxcop 3D Flying 400 Jun 04, 2014 11:18 AM
Discussion Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300 EXP!?!?!? Safety Hawk 3D Flying 104 Sep 10, 2012 12:33 PM
Sold NEW IN BOX Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP ARF 48" red - will ship xraydoc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jan 16, 2010 09:55 PM
Video Extreme Flight RC Extra 300 EXP 48" Teaser video! Jvdo Electric Plane Talk 6 Oct 21, 2009 03:48 PM