Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:06 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,605 Posts
Finished my Goldwing MX2 form Milehighrc last night.

Greetings kids!
Finished my Goldwing MX2 form Milehighrc last night.

I bought this kit because my 3DHS 57" Extra 330SC met its expiration date (loved that plane). And as I have a 72” 330SC on order to quell my 330SC need this gave me all the running gear I needed for the MX2. Ohh and the $189.00 plus $25.00 shipping made the purchase easy to justify.

Was able to use the landing gear (main and tail) from the 330SC on the MX2 (Fit perfect). Other than the landing gear, the MX2 is stock. But why canopy latches don't come on all Balsa ARF’s these days is beyond me. Yes I installed one but what a pain!

The other build pain: the 4 supplied pull-pull safety collars were big enough for 2 strands of the included wire. Wanting to use the safety loop method.. I had to visit my local fishing tackle store for lure crimps. A nit yes… but I feel better.

Running gear:
Reaper 60 (1/2" stand offs used with stock wood Electric motor box).
CC ICE 75
Nano 4s 4000 25-50c
Xoar 15X7
Hitec 225’s all around.

AUW: 5lbs 5oz

I’ll have pictures and a flight report soon…

Ohh and thanks Jacques (flyracer) for answering my PM’s.
Those who are willing to help others without a personal agenda are a treasure in this hobby!

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Sep 09, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:01 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Nice D-Man!

When are we gonna see this? We are heading to Flop's territory this Sunday.
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:23 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
Joined Oct 2004
1,605 Posts
Goldwing 57 MX2 flight report/impressions

((( Building off post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=17 )))

Had a chance to maiden the Goldwing 57” MX2 yesterday and here’s my report/Impressions as compared to 3DHS 330SC.

Winds were calm and the sky was a bit dark but over all a great afternoon for a maiden. Set the timer for 7 min… and taxied toward the runway.

Take off was uneventful. 3 clicks up elevator and 2 clicks right aileron trim needed. Rolled inverted, nose dips down slightly (4000 4s all the way forward could come back a bit) and flew it as is for the rest of the afternoon. Rolls were pretty axial and no thrust issues. All is good for shake down flights!
I spent the next 5 flights getting use to the MX2 and making mental notes on how it compared to the 3DHS 57” Extra330SC.. here’s my thoughts.

Over all tracking:
Pretty much equal with the 330SC. Good feeling the in air. MX2 is shorter coupled than the 330SC but is close to 8oz heavier making about equal in response. The most noticeable difference was rolls. Ailerons are a bit smaller on the MX2 so Rolls were a bit slower than the 330SC. I’ll be checking for possible extra aileron throw.

Tumbles:
Again pretty close… shorter coupled and extra weight seem to equal the MX2 to the 330SC.

Knife edge:
In my mind the 330SC is KE king! Even without the SFG’s she locked in KE as if on a rail with virtually no coupling. The MX2? A close second. I wouldn’t call it “locked in” but the MX2 with the Reaper 60 death slides down to the deck, tracks across the runway and will KE loop almost as good as the 330sc.

Hover:
Again the MX2 is about the same as the 330SC. The extra weight is noticeable but not a major detractor.

Harrier/Slow high alpha:
Ok.. here's were the differences start to show. Although the MX2 elevators well… keeping her in high alpha (especially in a turn) is a chore compared to the 330SC. Wing rock and a tendency to tip stall were always there. Not to say the MX2 can’t Harrier… it can. It’s just not nearly as “locked in” as the 330SC.

Side note:
Confession time; I consider myself a practical 3DHS Koolaid drinker. There is no doubt in my mind that 3DHS has taken the major lead in balsa RC aircraft design and customer support. But (here’s my practical side) there will always be a search for a cheaper way to accomplish the same thing. We see it everywhere in the hobby. The question remains; Is the extra money worth the bump in performance or experience from a product? Ultimately it’s a comparison of one’s affordability vs product performance. Therefore it’s subjective for each person.

Bottom line:
if money is no issue and you want the better 57” plane…. Get the 3DHS 57” Extra330SC.

In cost comparison, the 57” MX2 from Milehighrc at $189.00 is a great deal. After 5 flights yesterday I’m looking forward to flying her again today. I mean I don’t want to throw rocks at it and this is a good thing!

Have the running gear at hand and/or money is tight? Give the 57” MX2 from Milehighrc a go!

Thanks to Flyracer for starting this thread.

Hope this is info is of value and feel free to send your questions my way.
D-Man
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Sep 09, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:53 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,199 Posts
D-Man
Nice writeup on the maiden flight.... the MX2 in the green/black/white schema looks totally awesome!

I think you make a good point on the "price point" comparative.... in a price conscious economy, I'm always willing to tolerate some imperfections in the airframe for the right price.

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Sep 09, 2010, 12:05 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
Joined Oct 2004
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
D-Man
Nice writeup on the maiden flight.... the MX2 in the green/black/white schema looks totally awesome!

I think you make a good point on the "price point" comparative.... in a price conscious economy, I'm always willing to tolerate some imperfections in the airframe for the right price.

Flyracer
Thanks Flyracer.

Yeah... in general what one is willing to spend is going to be a personal choice dependant on many factors. In our hobby It can be boiled down to: Fly what you like (& afford) and like what you fly.

Let us know what you think after your MX2 is done!!
After all, mine is just one pilots opinion.

D-Man
Old Sep 09, 2010, 12:35 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
Joined Oct 2004
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
Nice D-Man!

When are we gonna see this? We are heading to Flop's territory this Sunday.
J..

I wish I could.. I'm at the tail end of a house remodel. Trying to push through the final bits so I can can have my weekends back for events like Flop's fly-in.

Have some 3D fun for me!

D-Man
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:47 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,262 Posts
D-Man...
Can you give me some additional info on your setup? I see that you used a 4S 4000mah battery, but can you provide the motor and prop specs too? Also, when you say the MX is eight ounces heavier, what was the all-up weight with that 4000 battery? My 330SC setup can in at just over 80 ounces with 4 cells so I'm guessing that your MX is around 88.

Flyracer was thinking about a 770Kv or a 670Kv motor on 4 cells for this plane so I'm wondering if 4S with just under 800 Watts can fly this thing as you are describing. I have this setup already but a Scorpion at 542Kv could provide another 300 Watts if you think it needs it.

And thanks for the detailed comparison with the 330SC. Good stuff.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:26 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
Joined Oct 2004
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
D-Man...
Can you give me some additional info on your setup? I see that you used a 4S 4000mah battery, but can you provide the motor and prop specs too? Also, when you say the MX is eight ounces heavier, what was the all-up weight with that 4000 battery? My 330SC setup can in at just over 80 ounces with 4 cells so I'm guessing that your MX is around 88.

Flyracer was thinking about a 770Kv or a 670Kv motor on 4 cells for this plane so I'm wondering if 4S with just under 800 Watts can fly this thing as you are describing. I have this setup already but a Scorpion at 542Kv could provide another 300 Watts if you think it needs it.

And thanks for the detailed comparison with the 330SC. Good stuff.
Areoplayin...

You are right... my MX2 is 5.5lbs (88 Oz) AUW (with battery)
Note: I'm using the carbon landing gear from the 57" Extra330sc instead of the aluminium gear that came with the MX2.

Total set up..

Reaper 60 (800kv)
Turnigy Nano 4s 4000 25-50C
CC Ice light 75
Xoar 15X7

The above power system is just about right for this plane... power and weight.

Let me know if you have any other questions..
D-Man
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,262 Posts
That's about what I thought and even if you are keeping the Amps under 75 with the 15x7 and 4 cells, then you are probably still producing about 1100 Watts with the GR-60. Unfortunately, this means I'll need to upgrade my motor to stay with the 4 cells. I don't think I'll get more than 855 out of the one I had in mind. Thanks again for the help.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
How is your plane holding up I'm still considering one if I can find it in the green
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:06 PM
United States, FL, Tamarac
Joined Apr 2003
46 Posts
CG for the MX-2 57"

I know it's been a while but I got my hands on one of these and followed everyone's advice,
I have found that mine is way tail heavy at the recommended CG of 3 7/8".
Has anyone experienced this or is the CG wrong?
Any response would be gratefully appreciated.
hapyjac2 is offline Find More Posts by hapyjac2
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:58 PM
FLY ON!
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jun 2013
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapyjac2 View Post
I know it's been a while but I got my hands on one of these and followed everyone's advice,
I have found that mine is way tail heavy at the recommended CG of 3 7/8".
Has anyone experienced this or is the CG wrong?
Any response would be gratefully appreciated.
Hey there it seems that you are not the only one to have that problem. If you haven't sorted it out yet ,the fix appears to be extending the battery tray and moving battery forward till it flies nice.I am thinking of buying one ,what's you take on this airframe.

Thanks,
Dean
bigdbc is offline Find More Posts by bigdbc