Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,809 Posts
Hand Launching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuzun View Post
Hi Rob,

I want to hand launch mine as i realized the field we have here is not good enough.

I see that it is somewhat tricky. Can you give me some tips? Did you make some else throw it? Or did you do it yourself? It always seems too risky having to leave the controls.

Would walking or jogging while initiating a throw help a little?

Thanks

G'day mate,
If I'm by myself, then I'll hand launch myself. With this model it is important to have a breeze of some sort to launch into.
The EDFs need airflow to provide thrust and lift. Also, The airflow from launching into the breeze provides flow over the control surfaces, ailerons and elevator, to allow you to have control.

Having someone else launch is better because you have both hands on the controls, BUT, make sure you have someone who has done it before, BECAUSE, I had someone throw one of my models straight into the ground who was not familiar with it.....P#**ed me right off.

Don't bother running, just give it a good shove, slightly upwards, but get it straight and level ASAP so you can build up some speed, and therefore, control.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 10:42 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,014 Posts
A-10 rebuilt , anyone know where to buy a canopy ?

anyone know where I can get a canopy ?
Mine was totally lost in my major crash that destroyed this into piece , but it was once again rebuilt hahahah , love the foam .
By the way crash was my fault , I purposly dove the plane for a real low speed pass and caught the wing
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old May 07, 2011, 09:49 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
anyone know where I can get a canopy ?
Mine was totally lost in my major crash that destroyed this into piece , but it was once again rebuilt hahahah , love the foam .
By the way crash was my fault , I purposly dove the plane for a real low speed pass and caught the wing
Try Hobby Lobby, they still have some spare parts for this A-10 eventhou they discontinuned selling the plane.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/canopy_fo...ueryId=1401790
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old May 07, 2011, 10:03 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,014 Posts
Thanks denny , great tip !!!!
Old May 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,105 Posts
Center of gravity

I just got my pnp kit. Any tips for the build? How about the CG w/ 3s 2200mah batts? Thanks in advance....
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old May 15, 2011, 07:19 PM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
I just got my pnp kit. Any tips for the build? How about the CG w/ 3s 2200mah batts? Thanks in advance....
Mate, I use the 2200 mAh batteries, I just shove them all the way forward, and adjust trims airborne. The model does float quite a bit on landing.
Are you keeping the wheels, or are you going to fly it as a belly lander?

If Belly, then you will need some protection for the Vertical Stabs.

See this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=55
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,105 Posts
Thanks ROB KNOX,

I am going to keep the wheels, looking forward to getting her in the air.
Old May 15, 2011, 08:45 PM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Thanks ROB KNOX,

I am going to keep the wheels, looking forward to getting her in the air.
No worries, good luck.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your maiden. Take pics or vid if you can.
Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,105 Posts
Hey Rob,

How are you holding the battery in place? Velcro?

Also, are you pushing the battery all the way forward to where it touches the nose gear?

What brand battery are you having good luck with and what is the c rating? I've got 2200mah 3S 25C AND also 30c.
I cant wait to give her a go.

Should I pull the fans and static balance?

thanks and cheers!
Last edited by wavekatcher; May 18, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:53 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Hey Rob,

How are you holding the battery in place? Velcro?

Also, are you pushing the battery all the way forward to where it touches the nose gear?

What brand battery are you having good luck with and what is the c rating? I've got 2200mah 3S 25C AND also 30c.
I cant wait to give her a go.

Should I pull the fans and static balance?

thanks and cheers!

The Battery is a tight fit, so, it stays in place (I will go down and check. I have 20 models so I can't remember exactly how the BTY stays in place)

Turnigy 2200mah, 20-30C.

Static balance, I didn't and have not struck any dramas as a result.
Have you replaced the ESC's? If not, history shows that they won't last long.
I got just 3 flights from mine before one failed so I replaced them both. Fortunately for me, the failure occured on the ground.

I'lll get back to you (boomerang theory) re the security of the battery.
Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2011, 05:22 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,809 Posts
Battery Security

I have a strip of Velcro on one side of the Battery and a corresponding strip on the floor of the fuse under the cockpit. (see pics)
The cockpit, once in place, secures it from above.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2011, 03:09 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
My HK A-10 arrived last week and between other duties I've been poking at it 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there to stick the pieces together. I know zilch about EDF except what I read here and the A-10 is only my second modern foamy after a life time of wood and fiberglass models, but the A-10 looked like a fun plane to plunge into EDF with.

Anyway, I've wondered about two things: What about spraying some sort of clear coat on the paint to make it a little less susceptable to scuff and scratch damage? Here in the desert we fly off of rocks and sand and the finish is going to take a beating even using the landing gear. Second, the vertical stabs seem a bit wobbly. Are you guys using glue with the screws or just the screws?

I am impressed at how nicely the various foam bits can fit together. The last foam plane I built was a Midwest Models "Attacker" in 1979 and the styrofoam was a bit less precise (and less durable) than modern foam.

Doug
vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Old May 20, 2011, 07:05 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
My HK A-10 arrived last week and between other duties I've been poking at it 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there to stick the pieces together. I know zilch about EDF except what I read here and the A-10 is only my second modern foamy after a life time of wood and fiberglass models, but the A-10 looked like a fun plane to plunge into EDF with.

Anyway, I've wondered about two things: What about spraying some sort of clear coat on the paint to make it a little less susceptable to scuff and scratch damage? Here in the desert we fly off of rocks and sand and the finish is going to take a beating even using the landing gear. Second, the vertical stabs seem a bit wobbly. Are you guys using glue with the screws or just the screws?

I am impressed at how nicely the various foam bits can fit together. The last foam plane I built was a Midwest Models "Attacker" in 1979 and the styrofoam was a bit less precise (and less durable) than modern foam.

Doug
G'day Doug,
Yes, clear coat it, I've also put glassing tape on the leading edges and all contact areas to protect mine a bit.
Yes, I have glued and screwed the fins. You'll still get some fishtailing in flight, but it will be OK.
Some advice, if you loop it, start at height and make them BIG loops. there is a lot of flex in the wings, if you loop too hard or turn too hard you'll snap a wing. Basically, fly scale. Use at lease a 2200 3 cell. ALSO, you may want to look at replacing the esc's, not a good track record with stock items.
The model flies well and floats in nicely for landings.
Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2011, 08:51 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,014 Posts
before you spary one drop of anything on this plane ---test test test .
Certain paints will eat this alive , I have seen on the post on early threads on Hobby King .
Dont over complicate this plane , its the best out of the box fun you can have and it will deliver .
Good luck and have fun
Old May 20, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Knox View Post
I have a strip of Velcro on one side of the Battery and a corresponding strip on the floor of the fuse under the cockpit. (see pics)
The cockpit, once in place, secures it from above.
Thanks Rob for taking the time to post the great pictures. I appreciate the help very much, cheers, Jeff