SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:31 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
You're a daring type, to challenge crows with this small bird. I stick to chasing flies...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:40 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
I own a hobby shop inside my truck accessories shop, so when I do my weekly ordering for the hobby side I have seen the Proto, but have never stopped and read anything about it. Well I was looking the other day when I was slow, and was only looking at RTF Heli's my supplier had listed, and the Proto was one of them.

I thought I think i'm gonna put in a couple cheaper RTF Heli's for those that don't want the MSR's I stock. Well the Proto popped up, so I read a little about it thinking its just gonna be ALL toy seeing its Revell, but then I saw where its a hobby grade Heli, so I ordered a couple for tomorrow! Of course a couple means, one for stock, and one for me!

I mainly fly in my shop area, and mainly fly my MSR, so I believe this is gonna add to my Nano/Micro size indoor flying Heli's! I love these Nano size Heli's, and really love the price on this one, especially if its gonna fly good!
AirMicro is offline Find More Posts by AirMicro
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMicro View Post
I own a hobby shop inside my truck accessories shop, so when I do my weekly ordering for the hobby side I have seen the Proto, but have never stopped and read anything about it. Well I was looking the other day when I was slow, and was only looking at RTF Heli's my supplier had listed, and the Proto was one of them.

I thought I think i'm gonna put in a couple cheaper RTF Heli's for those that don't want the MSR's I stock. Well the Proto popped up, so I read a little about it thinking its just gonna be ALL toy seeing its Revell, but then I saw where its a hobby grade Heli, so I ordered a couple for tomorrow! Of course a couple means, one for stock, and one for me!

I mainly fly in my shop area, and mainly fly my MSR, so I believe this is gonna add to my Nano/Micro size indoor flying Heli's! I love these Nano size Heli's, and really love the price on this one, especially if its gonna fly good!
It flies well. You know it's a rebranded Nine Eagles Solo Pro, so it's not original Revell? And you'll enjoy it, I am sure. The transmitter also has a few tricks up it's sleeve, allowing you to not only adjust dual rates, and trims, but also subtrims, servo endpoint adjust, and gyre sensitivity. All for this price.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
Yeah, knew that as I'm a Nine Eagles dealer also!
Never even looked or considered the Proto when I got to the Revell area, as I was just thinking it would be a toy! When I did stop and look at it the other day, I noticed it was a Solo rebadged. I do own a Solo Pro myself, but this one is so inexpensive to a dealer, I'm gonna jump on one of these also!

Anyway other than the TX to charge the Batt's?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:36 PM
USA, So.Cal.
Joined Jan 2009
400 Posts
Quote:
Anyway other than the TX to charge the Batt's?
Yes, NE makes a two-battery wall charger. Highly recommended, as the TX batteries drain quickly when used to recharge the batts.
MikeSRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeSRC
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:01 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post
Yes, NE makes a two-battery wall charger. Highly recommended, as the TX batteries drain quickly when used to recharge the batts.
The charger is a must have. I got the Solo Pro as deluxe set, so with carrying case and the charger. Couldn't imagine life without both extras. The case allows you to have everything well protected to you can bring it to the field without worries, and being able to charge 2 batts at once without burning your TX's batteries is nice as well. And if you solder a MSR compatible battery wire to the skids, you can use those batteries as well, and even the 4 port charger e-flite sells, so you can charge 4 batts at the same time...
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:42 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
Thats what i'd like to do. Convert, solder to use the MSR batt's and charger
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:16 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Thats what i'd like to do. Convert, solder to use the MSR batt's and charger
If you solder the wire to the metal plates of the landinggear (on the back of the plates then, not on the side where the battery sits) you can keep the wire short and still be able to use stock bats and MSR ones. Works fine here.

Just make sure you sand the plates a little before soldering, or the solder won't flow well, and be careful not to apply heat to long, or you'll melt the battery holder. Still it is more comfortable than soldering on the receiver.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
Got the Proto today and it looks nice and actually flies well once trimmed out, but..... whats with the Heebie-Geebies (shakes) when flying foward? I'm flying it here in my inside shop area, trimmed out good, but when I fly away, turn and come back nose in to me, its shaking, then half way smooths out, make a nice turn at the other end of the shop, then come back the other way straight again, and shakes again while flying pointed straight.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
Although I emonstrated the proto max to people this weekend I did think to run the battery all the way down and check for the level of the battery. I will try and do that this week. Still having a lot of fun with coaxial pilots and the Proto Max. Mike H
Still waiting for those readings...

@AirMicro: That wobbly shaky behavior I was told is caused by the lack of damping in the head in combination with the strong auto correcting flybar, fighting your cyclic commands. The blades pivot on plastic pins that are part of the rotor head. There is some play in this construction, but possibly not enough. It might get better as parts wear a little. There are also some other solutions, like drilling a hole through the head on the spot where the pins are and making this hole bigger than the new blade pivots that runs through it. This method gets rid of the wobbling, but may cause some extra noise. EQMOD put a small rubber band between the new blade pivot rod and the hole, so there is some damping. Seems to work quite well.

A final solution is the Xtreme rotorhead upgrade. This is a metal head, with a metal feathering shaft, being kept in place by rubber o-rings. But this part seems to be out of stock everywhere...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:21 AM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
the battery doesnt look like an average 1 cell connector, or am i just looking at it wrong? becasue i want to use my 160mah turnigys with it
roflmcwaffle is offline Find More Posts by roflmcwaffle
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmcwaffle View Post
the battery doesnt look like an average 1 cell connector, or am i just looking at it wrong? becasue i want to use my 160mah turnigys with it
This heli uses the NE connector, like the one on this picture:

If you want to use the Turnigy 160 you need an extra wire:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9727

But the Turnigy 160 is not the best battery for this heli. A nice alternative, also from Hobby King, is this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=14730

Don't be fooled by the 10C rating, these batteries leave the Turnigy 160 eating it's dust...

If you want ultimate power, get a Hyperion or Intellect 130, these come with NE connector on these days.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:51 PM
Chattanooga, TN
Joined Nov 2010
18 Posts
Would this case and battery charger be complimentary to my Revell Proto Max?

http://www.megarc.com/nine-eagles-so...269f03345601bf

http://www.megarc.com/nine-eagles-so...902-p-509.html

Any suggestions on best place to purchase one or both of these would be helpful!

Thanks,
Mallory
MDawg is offline Find More Posts by MDawg
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:18 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
The case should work, the charger shows the old one, with small ridges near the charge opening. You might want to contact the seller first to ask if he has the updated version, with the big notch on one side.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 05:22 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
Would this case and battery charger be complimentary to my Revell Proto Max?

[URL="http://www.megarc.com/nine-eagles-solo-pro-heli-aluminium-case-ne10526008004-p-513.html?zenid=1269805430025bfe39269f03345601bf"]Mallory
$43.90 just for the case
looks like i will be using the box my Proto Max came in
The box is pretty nice anyways with molded styro-foam for protection and the box even has a carry handle.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel