Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post

Now, let's comment on the minuses of your final verdict:

"Minuses:

* "Appeared" to have a tilt to the right but she flew fine in all directions.
* She can drop like a rock when the battery dies.
* Recharging the battery is a bit slow."

I've never had my Solo Pro drop, except when you drain the battery too much. What is the voltage of the battery right after the drop? It should be wel above 3.3V since deep discharge will kill lipos very fast. It is also possible your heli as a LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) built in, so it will cut power to the motors below a certain voltage. After a few flights you will notice when power starts to fade, and land before it really is over. One other good way to test for battery power level is to see at what percentage throttle you can hover the heli. Above 70% means your batt hasn't got much left. Normallly you can hover at 50 to 55%.

You only have the transmitter to charge it, right? Since you charge it from the TX's batteries, charging will be slower than when using a wall charger. Nine Eagles also sells a little wall charger, that will have your batt ready in 20 to 25 minutes, or shorter, depending on how far you drained the battery. You can even charge 2 batteries at the same time, so if you get some extra batteries, you can almost fly non stop, even if you let the used ones cool down before charging them again.

Two relevant differences that I have read about between the 9 Eagles Solo
coaxial and its rebrand, the Revell Proto Cx:

1. The Solo does not have an LVC, while the Proto Cx has an LVC built into the battery (which can cause the Cx to "drop like a rock").

2. The Proto Cx Tx is built with a slower charge rate than the Solo Tx.

My guess is that these differences are carrying over to be differences between the 9 Eagles Solo Pro and the Revell Proto Max.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:37 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,649 Posts
Seems like Revell noticed those little NE lipos going bad pretty soon and tried to make them last longer. However, LVC that makes your heli crash, can be an expensive fail save...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,430 Posts
Every RTF electric helicopter I have ever flown shows signs it is time to stop flying. The most obvious is that you have to supply more throttle just to stay in a hover. However, if you fail to heed those warning signs she can just drop. Being only one ounce unlikely it will be damaged. Dick had it happen to him at the end of his first flight. As an excited first successful single rotor pilot he didn't notice the signs and I was busy videotaping. I had no such drops but I looked for the slowing down and stopped. I didn't consider it a serious problem but was something to make note of so that others would be aware.
I had another coaxial only pilot successfully fly it yesterday for his first successful single rotor flight. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I was pm'ing one of the Revell reps on here a good while ago. He told me that Revell was buying these for the mass toy market (an age thing), not the hobby market. Therefore, these have to conform to a more strict set of rules than hobby grade. The LVC is part of that. You don't want 8yrolds starting fires with lipo batteries. That is also probably why the charge rate is lower. In perfectly calm conditions over lush grass, anybody that has ever flown a havoc heli, could "fly" these. To fly well, does take some coordination of both axes on both sticks especially n tight places... (btw, my experience is in the first run Solo pro. There is better control and nice upgrades in the Apr 2010 Solo pro and the Revell. An LVC that would cut power to basicly an autorotate condition would be nice. An LVC that cut out or pulsed so that it is very noticeable but wouldn't drop you out of the sky would be cool too. An LVC that cuts power completely not so good. I wonder if the new solo pro batteries wouldn't work as well if you didn't want the LVC?
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:33 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
Every RTF electric helicopter I have ever flown shows signs it is time to stop flying. The most obvious is that you have to supply more throttle just to stay in a hover.
I do that as well. I obeserve what throttle percentage is still needed to maintain hover when I suspect the power is fading. Usually when it's around 75% I decide to take her down, for a neatly controlled landing.

LVC might help prevent lipos going pyromanic, but a full cut-off seems a little drastic. A more soft way to warn the pilot, like tymbre suggested, seems more appropiate.

Btw, what is the voltage of the lipo after LVC has "grounded" the bird?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:04 AM
Joined May 2009
503 Posts
I wonder why don't Revell include sales geographical isolation in your ODM contract with Nine Eagles. Probably a higher order quantity required?
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Aug 08, 2010, 07:03 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,430 Posts
Although I emonstrated the proto max to people this weekend I did think to run the battery all the way down and check for the level of the battery. I will try and do that this week. Still having a lot of fun with coaxial pilots and the Proto Max. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:34 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
Although I emonstrated the proto max to people this weekend I did think to run the battery all the way down and check for the level of the battery. I will try and do that this week. Still having a lot of fun with coaxial pilots and the Proto Max. Mike H
Okay, I can understand when you are having fun, you forget to bring the multimeter along and measure voltages.

Also had some fun with my Solo Pro this week. We are on holiday and there is a little playing field close to our holiday home. In the evening the wind dies down on a sunny day, and it is pure bliss to fly there. Plenty of room to get this bird moving fast so you can make wide fast circuits or figure eights without worrying about flybar strikes when you have to move the sticks fast to avoid a tree or so. In these conditions it feels just like a bigger heli, but still in a convenient package. I have the version with carrying case, so it's easy to bring to the field, fly, and then put her neatly away and go home. Very practical.

Does the Proto come with a case btw? If not, you can simply order a Nine Eagles one, since the heli and TX are the same, they should fit. Case is about 15 to 20 dollar I believe...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,430 Posts
The box it comes in has a handle and makes a good carrying case. Not a home right now and have class tonight but will make effort to get voltage reading on the battery tomorrow. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
In the havok helis they added the lvc circuit to the battery. I'm wondering if they did the same to these.
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerorotor View Post
In the havok helis they added the lvc circuit to the battery. I'm wondering if they did the same to these.
I'm pretty sure they did. Altering the electronics of the 5 in 1 costs a lot more, and if I recall well, this rebranded bird uses the same RX as the Solo Pro. The batteries are different however, since they are rated at 130 mah compared to 120 mah of the stock Solo Pro battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:22 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Which does better in light wind conditions, the Proto Max/Solo Pro, or the mSR ?
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:44 PM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,666 Posts
Enjoyed the review! Have you flown a Hirbro Quark? If so, how does it compare with the very expensive Quark as to flying capability? Thank you in advance!
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,430 Posts
I have not flown the Quark, maybe someone else can comment in the future. I have heard good things about it.
As for flying the proto max or mSR in a light breeze I can fly both in a five mile per hour breeze provided the mSR is set on the more advanced setting. beyond that it is more of a fight and not much fun for me with either of them but I have had mixed results with both when I tried to fly in stronger winds. Both are much more fun (controllable) in calmer conditions. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,430 Posts
While I was trying to work at home this morning I was disturbed by the horrible noise two crows were making in my backyard. One would make a lot of noise and wing movement and the other would dive at our cat.
I grabbed my Proto Max and took it outside. The birds watched me and kept up their racket. I flew the Proto Max up towards them at the top of a tree. They bolted as the helicopter got close and flew away and so far (two hours later) they haven't come back. If they come back I may have to go to a larger aircraft.
The Score So Far:
Proto Max: 1
Crows: Nothing
RCG Plus Member