SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:43 PM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
So how does a 180g glass Sally go in 25mph wind on a big slope?

Bloody well!

I thought it might struggle but it cut the air really well, the energy and speed surprised me and man did it turn.... great fun

So much fun I spanked it into the ground...

I'll upload some video tomorrow.
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 07:07 PM
Stirring the pot
johannlochner's Avatar
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,024 Posts
A bit of progress...
The wings have been filled and sanded down.
Live hinges cut..
(Upside down... According to "Thepasty")
I must say, I prefer a top hinge, but we'll change that on the following ones!
The fuselage has been glassed and sanded down...
Ahgrrrrr...
I sanded down to the foam on places!

I'll put another layer of glass on to cure!
The wings unpainted are 198g for the 900mm wing
(lighter, as I lost 9g with the 1/3 cut out for the fuz and trimming)
The plug is weighing 125g, so there is hope for the cast fuselages!
And...
She'll balance up fine on the cog!
She's starting to look like she could fly!
Oh Steve...
I trimmed the wing back to the intended shape!
(no curved ailerons)
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:56 AM
Registered User
Hexosex's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepasty View Post
So how does a 180g glass Sally go in 25mph wind on a big slope?

Bloody well!

I thought it might struggle but it cut the air really well, the energy and speed surprised me and man did it turn.... great fun

So much fun I spanked it into the ground...

I'll upload some video tomorrow.
We thought they would! Looking forwards to the video!

Any damage?
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:30 AM
Stirring the pot
johannlochner's Avatar
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexosex View Post
We thought they would! Looking forwards to the video!

Any damage?
It looks like they are having fun...
Check out your Swinger thread!
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:41 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexosex View Post
We thought they would! Looking forwards to the video!

Any damage?
She went in vertical and stuck a couple of inches into the dirt with the pod taking all of the impact. The only damage is to the wing LE where the pod sits, nothing a little glass and resin wont fix tho, surprisingly the pods fine (being built like a brick sh*t house helps).
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:49 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Sean Oelofse's Avatar
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
A bit of progress...
The wings have been filled and sanded down.
Live hinges cut..
(Upside down... According to "Thepasty")
I must say, I prefer a top hinge, but we'll change that on the following ones!
The fuselage has been glassed and sanded down...
Ahgrrrrr...
I sanded down to the foam on places!

I'll put another layer of glass on to cure!
The wings unpainted are 198g for the 900mm wing
(lighter, as I lost 9g with the 1/3 cut out for the fuz and trimming)
The plug is weighing 125g, so there is hope for the cast fuselages!
And...
She'll balance up fine on the cog!
She's starting to look like she could fly!
Oh Steve...
I trimmed the wing back to the intended shape!
(no curved ailerons)
Looking good Johann!! Keep it up!!
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:23 PM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
woops forgot to say

Looking ace Joan!

Heres a quick vid of Sally from yesterday, you may want to put it on the first post to save it getting lost.

I'm still impressed by how she went, defo my plane of the day, the lack of tail and rudder is limiting but its dexterity and ability to cut and carve make up for it... certainly no Alula

Sally in a good blow (1 min 59 sec)
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:53 PM
Building with TLAR precision
Zenmaniac's Avatar
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepasty View Post
Heres a quick vid of Sally from yesterday, you may want to put it on the first post to save it getting lost.
Great vid, Steven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepasty View Post
... certainly no Alula
Although I don't think that's the criticism it once was. While not as fast and dynamic as Sally, the Alula's not the aerobatic cow it was once made out to be. The on-line critiques first said you couldn't even loop and Alula -- once properly trimmed, it does amazing things (I hope to have a vid of mine in a flat spin soon)

Here's a video from Saturday (looks better at full-screen on Vimeo, the Alula got pretty far away), sorry no production music... Maybe I can contract with Steven to make a silk purse out of this sow's ear, and add some music!

One Alula, many Vultures (4 min 12 sec)


That said, I can't wait to get going on my Sally!!!!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is online now Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Last edited by Zenmaniac; Jul 06, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:30 PM
PWP!
ajroahkni's Avatar
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepasty View Post
Wow, very impressive: 6.3 oz in 27mph! (sorry, had to do the conversion) I never would have guessed it was that windy seeing how well the sally tracked.

Great flying Steve.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:40 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post

Although I don't think that's the criticism it once was.
Hey Dave

I wasnt dissing the Alula, simply reinforcing that just because a plane has a similar planform it doesnt make it the same plane.

Chip now removed from shoulder

cheers

Steve
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2010, 03:01 AM
Stirring the pot
johannlochner's Avatar
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,024 Posts
Great flying there Steve!
When is this slope tour????
Book my seat!

I agree with ajroahkni,
Hard to believe the wind was that strength!
Smooth and relaxed!
I too can't wait to get the Sally's up!
Saying something....
"Plane of the day"...
He had a new Phoon in the back of the car!
How did she go Steve?
Great Video!
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:02 AM
If it can-it will!
cliffhanger's Avatar
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
See what you mean about your Xacti vid.quality. Think there's something not quite right there- my previous Xacti was the model before yours at 8 mpx but gave a better picture.

I know it sounds obvious- have you cleaned the lens lately?
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:32 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
Saying something....
"Plane of the day"...
He had a new Phoon in the back of the car!
How did she go Steve?
The Phoon didnt make the trip
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:44 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
See what you mean about your Xacti vid.quality. Think there's something not quite right there- my previous Xacti was the model before yours at 8 mpx but gave a better picture.

I know it sounds obvious- have you cleaned the lens lately?
That vids not a good example, I slapped it together on my wifes laptop with windows movie maker live (which sucks)... it pretty much ruined what quality was there, the original is far crisper.

I havent done any real filming and editing with this camera yet (its a replacement after my last one got dirt inside it), hopefully I'll be able to get out flying again over the next couple of days and get some good footage for me to tinker with once back in cornwall.

Fancy co-starring Rog?
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:23 AM
Registered User
Hexosex's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Continual carving, love it. Now I'm really up for getting a sleeker lighter aerobat going (conventional build).

I cant wait to get to Wales!
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold NIB Sapac T-45 V1 Composit with Air Sally ducts mickydee Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 7 Dec 11, 2009 06:57 PM
Sold Phase 3 F-16 w/ Air Sally fiberglass NIB mflander Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 6 Nov 27, 2009 03:21 PM
Sold Used eFlite BAe Hawk with Air Sally ducting - Dismantled $100 shipped mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 Nov 03, 2009 09:36 PM
Wanted Air Sally Ducts for BAe Hawk jzuniga Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 23, 2009 09:05 PM
Sold Used eFlite BAe Hawk with Air Sally ducting - Dismantled mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Oct 23, 2009 10:13 AM