Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
Hey Shadowman
I see a Shop Vac, and a vacuum hose under that table saw, and another vac hose under your milling table. Why don't you suck it ?
I'm leaving sucking for MSU this weekend, FB!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie View Post
Hey Shadowman
That's a lot of sucking taking place!!!!
Hehehe
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaniac View Post
i'm leaving sucking for msu this weekend, fb! :d

-= dave
go green!!!!
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bakkie; Oct 23, 2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Badgers win one and suddenly we talking college ball?!?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:29 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post
Flying with my friend, Darryl, a couple of weeks ago (no, the "other brother Darryl"). The winds were 30 gusting to 45, and lots of trees, which made turbulance and difficult launching.

I gave Sally a toss, and after getting flipped 90 degrees each way, I managed to punch through a crease in the tree line. The lift below the trees was non-existant, so I pushed through to the field below, since I couldn't see the plane below the trees.

Same thing happened with my Bee-Evo, and finally to the Weasel (I am nothing, if not consistant ). Darryl, on the other hand, launched his 80" wingspan Swallow, and had a nice 90 seconds short of two hour fight, shortened of his target by a dead Rx battery -- but that's another story.

Below the tree line of the hill is a corn field, which I thought I achieved, but couldn't be sure. When I got to the bottom, I found that the corn, now dried at the.end of the growing season, was generating the sound of a roaring train in the 30+ mph wind, so I couldn't hear any of the lost model alarms. I found the Weasel about 4 rows into the corn (the field measured about 100 x 300 m). It took two more trips to the farm to find the Bee, which settled into the cornrow bottom (black) side up, wiht the alarm pointing to the ground. Never did find Sally.

We went back today (my 5th trip back) to find the corn having been harvested. After looking in the thicket at the bottom of the hill, and then in the alfalfa beyond the corn, I spotted a piece of red in the remains of the corn litter. And then more pieces, and more. Fortunately, we did find the battery (which I was afraid may have gotten into the cattle feed) and the Rx. No sign of the pod or servos. Or the remaining 90% of the plane for that matter.

Fortunately, I have another 95% completed on the workbench, waiting for a reason to finish it. Now I have a reason!

-= Dave
Jeeeeeeeeeezz! The carnage But you found it! You will go on building better ones! When I am at Fults and try to land out in front of the hill "it never happens" I end up landing in the trees We are never as far out as we think we are.
Was this your first build of Sally?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Was this your first build of Sally?
Yeah -- sniff -- my first -- sniff.

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:20 AM
Bill Scott
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Nov 2002
603 Posts
Is there a drawing that shows just the side view of the pod? Not very easy from the Pdf's on page 1 to see what shape the pod should be. Thinking about making a plug to mould a fuz from.
billscottuk is offline Find More Posts by billscottuk
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
If it helps Bill, I used symetrical section SD 8020 modded to 10% with a length of 460mm .
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:00 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,503 Posts
Two Sallys ready to go

ready for the right wind.
Having a bugger of a time launching these wings the thing just wants to nose dive in have to throw it out at about 45d to get it out then theres the cance that it will go sailing back over my head in the dreaded slope loop .

Persistance and trial and eror i supose

Went down the slope with the Sally put a bit more weight in the nose and launched out into the wind and it flew YAY
When it was flying along level the nose would tuck a bit landed and put a bit more weigh on the nose and launched agin it flew so sweet had 10 min landed retrimed and then relaxed and had about 30 min flight realy happy with this little rocket
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier
Last edited by Desert flier; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added more info
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,503 Posts
Both these Sallys have been balanced corectly and are flying great. My favourate sloper at the moment ( untill I get another ) M60 or gulp next
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,581 Posts
Well done Bud!!.......very cool little flier!!
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Apr 2013
10 Posts
Hi I would like to ask if somebody try to put a winglet instead of traditional tail to SALLY/ZALLY. I think it help to get more weight near CG
sarinator is offline Find More Posts by sarinator
Old Apr 05, 2013, 02:18 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,581 Posts
Hi there sarinator!
Great to have your FIRST post right here in J's classroom!!
I have not seen one with winglets!.....go ahead!......and post some pics, I'm sure interested to see.
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Apr 06, 2013, 01:24 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
well planks do not like winglets so much :P and they will move the CoG backward which is not so good either, you will need more lead for the balance. And with the winglest you loos the SAL capabilities of the SALLY

my two cents

Ez
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Apr 06, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,503 Posts
new Fuse for sally wing

I lost the nose cone from the pod on my first sally so made a lost foam fuse a bit more length on the nose and a longer tail havnt flown it yet but it looks good at the momment will see about the flying when the wind is right
Old Apr 07, 2013, 01:29 AM
Joined Apr 2013
10 Posts
Yes that's true, plank do not like winglets very much, but tail is longer and moves CG much more backward than hypothetical winglest. I'll try it and we will see.
sarinator is offline Find More Posts by sarinator