SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
Been sitting back here in the corner for a while, quietly watching and learning. No time right now, but maybe this winter.....

Just wondering....what does this:
Welcome, JZ! It's always nice when a lurker speaks up!! Otherwise, it seems like there's not a lot of interest in this fun little plane

We'll have to see what EZ says -- my guess is that it's some Swiss manner of foam, probably similar to the blue or pink stuff we can get here at Home Depot (although it seems to have a really cool surface pattern )

I don't know if you've built composite before, but this is a pretty easy build (and forgiving -- you should see how many bubbles I have in my first wing , and it flies like a dream).

EZ --- great looking wing -- can't wait to see three sCHally's flying!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Stepping once more from the shadows .....

ZenDave - I've built nothing before, composite or otherwise. In fact I've only just begun flying this month (chinese EZG knockoff) and have a "slope trainer" (Windrider Easy Pro) in transit. But I have experience repairing epoxy/glass/kevlar whitewater kayaks from back before they started building them all out of rotomolded polyethylene....so it's not completely new to me. I've never done any vacuum bagging. For the first round though, I may try a foam and tape Sally, since I have no access to bagging equipment, and to keep the cost minimal. I think Steve mentioned such a build early on in the thread (I've read it all )

But I need to get some flying skills first, and take care of one million annoying homeowner chores. It will be a while. So for now, it's back to my corner......

can someone bring me a beer ? mmm...thanks!

JZ

(I think there's a lot of lurkers here, based on the 46,000 views vs. 1600 posts! )
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; Jun 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: I need a reason ?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
scratch build everything
South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Botha's Hill
Joined Aug 2009
1,219 Posts
Edwinzea that looks fantastic, well done.
DudleyLeRoux is offline Find More Posts by DudleyLeRoux
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:50 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
I used a yellow XPS
Ahh... "yellow expanded polystyrene" (obviously....my brain was not switched on). Cool....never seen yellow.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:26 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,353 Posts
Quote:
Ahh... "yellow expanded polystyrene" (obviously....my brain was not switched on). Cool....never seen yellow.
My understanding was that XPS was eXtruded PolyStyrene, and that Expanded PolyStyrene was EPS.

It certainly looks like XPS, but can't be sure without a close up. XPS is one solid piece of foam, rather than a heap of small balls crammed together like EPS - XPS cuts nicer and is stronger but is more expensive though

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:23 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Thank you everyone for the compliments, the good point is that after one meter of distance you cannot see the flaws, I think the key is to polish the mylars before painting I used green turtle wax.

XPS is indeed extruded poly styrene, most commonly known as "blue foam" and widely used as core for bagged wings, Blue foam comes from DOW and is expensive even here :P then there is pink, violet and yellow, all under the same ISO standar but comming from different brands. It was really difficult for me to find the other brands so I was really happy to find this yellow XPS on my local store, I can walk and bring it home D:

THe fuse is now ready and waitin for sanding, filling paint :P men I even dream about it. THe tail is also cut and waiting for paint and reinforcement

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:46 AM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
I stand corrected! "E"s and "X"s in both....I always get that wrong
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:24 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
The tape idea is good if you use EPP, on normal EPS can also work but the durability is greatly reduced :P there is some people using wrapping paper and white glue, seems to be very strong even DLG had been build like that
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=113

and is freaking cheap

EZ

Quote:
Stepping once more from the shadows .....

ZenDave - I've built nothing before, composite or otherwise. In fact I've only just begun flying this month (chinese EZG knockoff) and have a "slope trainer" (Windrider Easy Pro) in transit. But I have experience repairing epoxy/glass/kevlar whitewater kayaks from back before they started building them all out of rotomolded polyethylene....so it's not completely new to me. I've never done any vacuum bagging. For the first round though, I may try a foam and tape Sally, since I have no access to bagging equipment, and to keep the cost minimal. I think Steve mentioned such a build early on in the thread (I've read it all )

But I need to get some flying skills first, and take care of one million annoying homeowner chores. It will be a while. So for now, it's back to my corner......

can someone bring me a beer ? mmm...thanks!

JZ

(I think there's a lot of lurkers here, based on the 46,000 views vs. 1600 posts! )
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:13 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Nice finish EZ!

I wonder how the different wing section will effect how Sally performs... time will tell! Altho to truely tell you need to build another wing with PW1211 and let us know the difference

Was your yellow XPS a bit softer and easier to bent than the blue/pink stuff? I've had some yellow in the past.
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Steve!! Master of design!!

I have good experices with the HS130 in other plank, I will post some pics later, we used on the prototypes the PW1211 profiles but the HS130 were superior in final speed and turning :P but indeed that is my idea I have the PW1211 templates ready I need to cut them and cut the cores, my problem now is that I have two other pairs of wings cut with HS130 and not a lot of time to build :P

the fuse in now drying the first layer of paint, I think I will have her ready for the next week.

I have at home, blue, violet and yellow XPS and I would say that they are all similar, stiff and soft after cutting, it needs more temperature than blue foam but my wire can take it with no problem.

thanks for sharing this great project

Regards

EZ
Last edited by Edwinzea; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Some samll update from todays work :P the fuse have some minor flaws but you can not see them at one meter of distance :P still some morework to do fitting the wings to the fuse. the servos holes are done and also the cable chanels, it is still missing the receiver and battery holder.

On the pics, sCHAlly and Laissa 1.2m plank with HS130 wing both planes have nose cone fuse.

Regards

EZ
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:21 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
Some samll update from todays work :P the fuse have some minor flaws but you can not see them at one meter of distance
The most important part is how it looks in the air, EZ!! After all, these aren't meant for static display, they're meant to MOVE!

-= Dave
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:34 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,024 Posts
Nice work on the fuz EZ!
Don't worry about Shadowman....
He knows how to keep the pressure up!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:22 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
....wise men said
only fools rush in...

Is amazing the ammount of work it still needs before flying, anyhow I hope I can make some decent video, normaly my camera man is my launchair :P

Back to the shop

EZ
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
Nice work on the fuz EZ!
Don't worry about Shadowman....
He knows how to keep the pressure up!

Hey.....not entirely fair!! I haven't mentioned ThePasty not finishing his Zally for at least a month!!!

-= Dave