HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2011
72 Posts
Why do everyone fly their multirotors with short "motor booms", with nothing to protect the propellers or motors or surroundings in an event of crash? Saving few grams in weight is not a good reason with these thrust-to-weight ratios...
Welho is offline Find More Posts by Welho
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:06 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
How do you characterize "short booms"? And having something that propects props will be too complex and too heavy, sure you could put a little plastic or whatever, but will it really protect your props?
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
How do you characterize "short booms"? And having something that propects props will be too complex and too heavy, sure you could put a little plastic or whatever, but will it really protect your props?
For example, I have a multirotor with 100 cm aluminum arms and motor-to motor distance ~60 cm. The arms extend ~20 cm over the motors and they prevent the motors and propellers hitting ground or obstacles. I have had also another quad with arm lenght being the same than motor-to-motor distance and I broke plenty of propellers with it due to ground strikes which were a result of aggressive maneuvring. Longer arms or booms would have saved me few propellers and motor axles.
Welho is offline Find More Posts by Welho
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welho View Post
For example, I have a multirotor with 100 cm aluminum arms and motor-to motor distance ~60 cm. The arms extend ~20 cm over the motors and they prevent the motors and propellers hitting ground or obstacles. I have had also another quad with arm lenght being the same than motor-to-motor distance and I broke plenty of propellers with it due to ground strikes which were a result of aggressive maneuvring. Longer arms or booms would have saved me few propellers and motor axles.
Stop hit the ground
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welho View Post
Why do everyone fly their multirotors with short "motor booms", with nothing to protect the propellers or motors or surroundings in an event of crash? Saving few grams in weight is not a good reason with these thrust-to-weight ratios...
Im not quite sure i understand, what are motor booms? Ah wait i think you mean what i call the frame arms, in my case 10mm square aluminium tube.
When i first stated building multicopters i made the arms too short, that is what material extends beyond the motor, but i crashed a lot in those days and soon found that putting another 10 or 15 mm meant the arm itself took the brunt of the crash instead of the motor. also i began turning small plugs to fill the end of the tubes because if the earth was not like concrete, the ends of the arms would bury themselves up to the motor and damage it that way.
I dont crash as often now but i still like the security of that extra 10mm or so.
I dont mess about with protective rings etc around the motors as its just not really necessary.
I came from Helli's where a crash could cost you a weeks wages to fix, so the odd motor or propeller wasnt really much of an issue.

Ray
whiteturbo is online now Find More Posts by whiteturbo
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramida View Post
Endangering people? What about smoking or driving talking on your phone?
You must be jokeing about " flying quads over highway distract the drivers"
What about gorgeous ladies from Romania? Also banned? Come on, ...let's face it:
All peole here who are blameing me are not so well trained and prepared in FPV flying. Man, i forgot to tell you, my job is to fly drones and i am also telecom engineer so i understand electronics and radio.
I have more fpv videos posted on youtube (over 700 minutes) than flying hours on field most of the guys mentioned above. But the way, warhox and the Italian FPV PRO didn't said a word aagainst my clips so don't mix the things.
Why didn't you post this one then?? Dangerous? off course not.. look at the beginning how the eldery couple have to run out of the way.. and at the end it was just above someone when it failed. Lucky it didn't hit the person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuXc...blphbvlJmd3LM=
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:51 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,935 Posts
Seriously? takeoff from the sidewalk with people...wow... genius idea. and that poor doggie :P
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx View Post
Thanks, I think I got it. I opened up the multiwii_2_0_ino in arduino and it looks good. i haven't been using multiwii since v1_5 (i think) or around there so this looks a little new to me. so in arduino i opened up the .ino with various tabs such as: multiwii2.0, EEPROM, GPS, IMU, LCD... ect. It looks lke to me that this is the whole code just at the top of each tab you uncomment if you need to ( ie, if I am not using gps, dont uncomment. ) is that correct?
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
820 Posts
if you want to use late code version and do not want to wait for other GUI programs for tweaking settings to catchup with current code, then you can use new multilne configuration menu. It is included in latest code from google rep in _shared (just after 2.0 was released).
I just added the multiline configuration program. All it takes is a generic terminal program for your smartphone/tablet/etc. and a cable or bluetooth connection. No graphics, but will always work and be up to date, because all code is included in the MultiWii. (also comes with rx and sensor readings in the telemetry section.

more info in another thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=17
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
No you cant fly it.
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
if you want to use late code version and do not want to wait for other GUI programs for tweaking settings to catchup with current code, then you can use new multilne configuration menu. It is included in latest code from google rep in _shared (just after 2.0 was released).
I just added the multiline configuration program. All it takes is a generic terminal program for your smartphone/tablet/etc. and a cable or bluetooth connection. No graphics, but will always work and be up to date, because all code is included in the MultiWii. (also comes with rx and sensor readings in the telemetry section.

more info in another thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=17
I think I would rather use the GUI. Is that not a good way to tweak anymore? My question was more along the lines of actually flashing my pro mini with v2.0 firmware. Do I have to configure all of the tabs in arduino?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicekilla View Post
I think I would rather use the GUI. Is that not a good way to tweak anymore? My question was more along the lines of actually flashing my pro mini with v2.0 firmware. Do I have to configure all of the tabs in arduino?
Sure. I did post for general info. GUI is fine, but not when at the field flying
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
No you cant fly it.
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
Sure. I did post for general info. GUI is fine, but not when at the field flying
ok thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Jan 2010
90 Posts
Hi,

Can you guys help me out?

How can I put my board less sensitive?

As you can see in the video, a small movement results in a big correction.
(BMA180 + WMP clone)

What can I do to make it less sensitive?

MWC - WMP clone + BMA180 too sensitive (0 min 34 sec)
HibridOPT is online now Find More Posts by HibridOPT
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,097 Posts
Would be great if someone could do a start to finish tutorial on how to set up a MultiWii with the GPS stuff mentioned below that is in 2.0

Looking for a wiring diagram and calibration procedures for this if someone is kind enough to share.

Code:
GPS mode:
  http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=649

There are now 2 GPS devices supported:

Serial GPS
   which should be connected on a free Serial port of the FC (MEGA boards needed)
   Must be defined in config.h
   #define GPS_SERIAL 2 < - a free serial port
   #define GPS_BAUD 115200

GPS POSITION HOLD and GPS RETURN to HOME are both implemented with the Serial GPS option.

I2C Serial boards
   EOSBandi did some code to add “a specific arduino + a Serial GPS” which
   communicates with multiwii via I2C.
   http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/
   Must be defined in config.h
   #define I2C_GPS

Position of the Home is defined once the GPS receives at least 4 satellites.
  Then there are 2 GPS mode:
   -ReturnToHome: when activated, the multi will go back to the GPS Home GPS coordinates.
   -PositionHold: when activated, the multi will stay at its position.

The GPS mode needs:
   -a very well calibrated MAG which is not disturbed by running motors.
    (no current of magnetic fields influence on the MAG, otherwise,
    the GPS won’t work fine)
   -an ACC correctly tuned for level stabilization

The principle is very simple for the moment: multiwii tries to lean
  the multi in the direction of the target point, with an angle which
  is proportional to the distance.
  A PID setting was added in the GUI:
   P = angle inclination proportional to target distance
    with P=5.0 in the GUI , 1 meter = 0.5deg inclination
   I is currently not used
   D = max angle inclination due to the GPS correction (15 is fine to begin)

Nice vids with first working GPS here:
   EOSBandi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJKG6uWqv4
   nhadrian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLJfC4h90M
Quote:
Originally Posted by HibridOPT View Post
...Can you guys help me out? ...(BMA180 + WMP clone)
I suspect a bad WMP clone.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,363 Posts
yes, +1
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa