SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
484 Posts
Hi Alex,

Can you explain how to configure from the GUI? A short explanation would be just fine. I can read and see the values but cannot figure out how to change the PID values.

Thanks again.

Jim
JimnAz is offline Find More Posts by JimnAz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
South korea
Joined Dec 2003
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnAz View Post
Hi Alex,

Can you explain how to configure from the GUI? A short explanation would be just fine. I can read and see the values but cannot figure out how to change the PID values.

Thanks again.

Jim
on the value you drag your mouse click left and then click write button
wland is offline Find More Posts by wland
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:38 AM
Kungshatt
Joined Mar 2008
200 Posts
Hi, and thank you for this great thread!!
I have a stupid question from a non programming skilled person like me.

Is there any easy way of compiling this .pde file?? I have read a tutorial I found on the internet of how to do it with Eclipse and Im getting no were..
http://www.vogella.de/articles/Eclip....html#overview

The ordinary .c files work like a charm but I cant get the .pde´s to be build. I feel stupid (its my first experience with making code...)
Please tell me if Im on the right track here or if Im going in the wrong direction... Thank you!!!
bofred is offline Find More Posts by bofred
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:06 AM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofred View Post
Is there any easy way of compiling this .pde file?? I have read a tutorial I found on the internet of how to do it with Eclipse and Im getting no were..
yes, use the arduino ide. link

eclipse will work, but takes some effort to configure for use with arduino. unless you have a specific need for eclipse, just stick with the arduino ide.
-sj
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wland View Post
on the value you drag your mouse click left and then click write button

Thank you very much. Now all works fine on the GUI except for the Tri graphic in the lower right corner.( not much to worry about though). The only thing I have left to get is the ESC's.

One more question for anyone on here that may have the answer:::

What ESC's are recommended for this project. I have already established that my CC10 esc's do not arm with this code so I presume they will not work.

If someone would link to them, I would really appreciate it.

Alex: would it be possible to have the axes work using servo's to variable pitch rotors instead of using RPM(speed) controls? I have a lot of experience with collective pitch helicopters and believe this would be a much more precise way to maintain altitude and provide smoother control in wind much like a collective heli vs. a fixed pitch heli.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:42 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much. Now all works fine on the GUI except for the Tri graphic in the lower right corner.( not much to worry about though). The only thing I have left to get is the ESC's.
The white Tri graphic in the lower right corner is for the moment static.
But it will represent the inclination when the nunchuk code will be ready.

Quote:
What ESC's are recommended for this project. I have already established that my CC10 esc's do not arm with this code so I presume they will not work.
I recommend the super simple ESC or Turnigy Plush from Hobby city

Quote:
Alex: would it be possible to have the axes work using servo's to variable pitch rotors instead of using RPM(speed) controls? I have a lot of experience with collective pitch helicopters and believe this would be a much more precise way to maintain altitude and provide smoother control in wind much like a collective heli vs. a fixed pitch heli.
I think it would be possible without to much adaptation to the current code.
The hardware is ready to support one more PPM output that could control the spin rate of all motors. We could imagine something like a real heli with a normal and idle up mode on another RC channel.
But think about the complexity of the solution and the crash cost If your motivation is strong enough to build such a frame, I could adapt the code for you.
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
The white Tri graphic in the lower right corner is for the moment static.
But it will represent the inclination when the nunchuk code will be ready.

I recommend the super simple ESC or Turnigy Plush from Hobby city

I think it would be possible without to much adaptation to the current code.
The hardware is ready to support one more PPM output that could control the spin rate of all motors. We could imagine something like a real heli with a normal and idle up mode on another RC channel.
But think about the complexity of the solution and the crash cost If your motivation is strong enough to build such a frame, I could adapt the code for you.
Hi Alex,

Thank you for the very rapid response.

I was only asking about the ESC suitability because I thought maybe some other ESC's than the Turnigy or Super Simple might work.

I am now designing the airframe for the Tri and incorporating the Variable Pitch mechanics is not much of a task. The frame will be much like your moulded frame from FG and CF tow. The variable pitch units are tail rotors from 450 helicopters. Yaw will still be by tilting the Yaw motor assembly.

The code should support driving three pitch servos at 50hz(?PPM?). The throttle(ESC's) should also be at 50Hz and all three motors can be run from one channel. I would imagine that the throttle would not need to be run at the high refresh rate like fixed pitch is now. I think that the pitch of the rotors would only change in response to a correction and not necessarily be a collective type of need like a heli.

Thank you for the offer of modifying the code and yes, if you still would do this, I would be very grateful and accept your offer. If you want to, you can PM me for any other details you may need to consider.

Thank you once again for this great work.

Jim
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
Kungshatt
Joined Mar 2008
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
yes, use the arduino ide. link

eclipse will work, but takes some effort to configure for use with arduino. unless you have a specific need for eclipse, just stick with the arduino ide.
-sj
Thank you Now Im really happy, eclipse made me %(&/¤/#...
bofred is offline Find More Posts by bofred
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:27 PM
South korea
Joined Dec 2003
209 Posts
today I did first flight.
It's very stable but there were cutoff. bat was full charged 12.6V
I used PCM1024- rx R146iP Futaba/ tx ff9c
please watch my video about 42s and last scene.
MOV06342.MPG (1 min 19 sec)

My tx ff9c has problem I think.
I change my tx to dx7.It's ok.
Last edited by wland; Jul 24, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:50 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,048 Posts
wland - Same thing mine is doing - I thought it was i2c dropout from a bad WII fake - not sure though I havent had time to mess with it -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
South korea
Joined Dec 2003
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
wland - Same thing mine is doing - I thought it was i2c dropout from a bad WII fake - not sure though I havent had time to mess with it -

Mike
I'm using original WMP.
when it fell down, it's possible to fly.
if there was i2c error, triwii can not fly before re-initiation.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:24 AM
South korea
Joined Dec 2003
209 Posts
I changed my Tx FF9c to DX7
there was no cutoff.

triwii flight.wmv (3 min 45 sec)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
South korea
Joined Dec 2003
209 Posts
Hi to all
When I controlled triwii copter, there was yaw drift.
triwii copter rotate slowly.
How to fix yaw drift?
what about increas P value of Yaw?

Yun
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:54 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wland View Post
Hi to all
When I controlled triwii copter, there was yaw drift.
triwii copter rotate slowly.
How to fix yaw drift?
what about increas P value of Yaw?

Yun
Hi Yun,

Thank you for your video and feedback.
Your tri seems very stable
I doubt your Futaba TX/RX is faulty in this setup. You're not the only one to encounter this problem using a non 2.4GHz radio.
I'm going to release a receiver code with one more verification. I hope this won't impact to much the jitter of RC channel reception.

The yaw drift is impossible to cancel, but with a good angle mechanical adjustment and few trims it should be nearly unnoticeable. An increase of P yaw could also decrease the drift, but for a better head lock feature, I still need to implement a full PID loop (for the moment I and D are not used for yaw)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:05 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
The code should support driving three pitch servos at 50hz(?PPM?). The throttle(ESC's) should also be at 50Hz and all three motors can be run from one channel. I would imagine that the throttle would not need to be run at the high refresh rate like fixed pitch is now. I think that the pitch of the rotors would only change in response to a correction and not necessarily be a collective type of need like a heli.
Hi Jim,
We can use the current 490Hz PWM output to drive 3x 50hz servo instead
+ the current servo yaw
+ another 50Hz PPM for all ESC.
It's not a problem using a servo lib.
You're right with the throttle refresh rate, it won't be so critical.
But I have a small doubt with the pitch refresh rate: 50Hz is maybe to small (we already know it is to small to drive ESCs on a multi)
If you look a heli flybarless system, they need specific servos that can accept a higher refresh rate to maintain a good cyclic attitude.
I suspect it will be also the case here.