SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:31 AM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
Nun-chuck wiring

Here is a pic of my nun-chuck board. From what I can tell the pinouts are the following:

function -> wire color
ground -> red (yes, red!)
scl -> yellow
sda -> white
vcc -> green

Does this seem correct? Also, the gimbal on this nun-chuck was mounted on the opposite side of the green/etched side, unlike other images I've seen here. I de-soldered it.
eekflyer is offline Find More Posts by eekflyer
Last edited by eekflyer; Oct 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,445 Posts
Alex - awesome project. Really impressive. Well done for bringing it out for everyone.

I currently uses a signguy Tri with a flymentor for FPV and video - it is really stable and very happy - but time to try something new.

So looking at the videos I notice that a lot have quite a bit of oscillation in their setups which would look bad on my videos.
Any of you guys flying FPV / shooting video on board? Like to see what sort of oscillations your are getting.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
This was my very first try at onboard vid with my first triwii:

TriWiiCopter onboard video (3 min 5 sec)

There is indeed some jello at higher altitude - that comes from a combination of wind, a bad servo and vibration-induced tail gyro jitter, but I dont think it is too bad...Also this was with the NK onboard (but in Acro mode), so if you build it without the NK the loop will run faster and it will be even more stable!

I have some more recent onboard vid from my quad. It is very solid and I will edit and upload some of it soon.....
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:42 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,445 Posts
That looks great - none of the oscillations I same on the other vids. I was hoping they were just a bit overdone for stability. I find that for video it is better to turn down. Good enough for me!
I've just ordered the bits, so hopefully I'll be with you guys in about a month.
Might as well go for a NK version whilt I'm at it!

Out of interest...

How do you rate the Tri compared to a Quad?
How well did you find the NK stabiliser? Did that add any oscillations? I notice a bit with my flymentor, but turn it down to very light stabilisation
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Had an auto level near disaster today. First outdoor test. All was well when just hovering around. The auto level strength was at 6. It didn't keep it perfectly level, but it was better than no auto level at all. Climbed to 75' and flipped it on again. OK, held level pretty good. Then I made the mistake of forward flight!
As soon as I got moving forward things got weird. I had to use lots of stick travel to get it moving (expected). But what I didn't expect was the quick flip to inverted. I actually flipped the switch out of auto level, and got it back upright just as it touched down.

After the flight I realized my battery warning system had a broken wire! this may have been caused by a low voltage event, but I'll try auto level very high next time!
It also might be the dreaded vibrations, but I am pretty sure you did everything to mitigate that!

I am not completely confident with autolevel yet. It seems to be working good at one moment, and be very shaky the next. I never went beyond 5 for autolevel strength and on the quad anything beyond 4 gives a lot of oscillations in flight!

My current vibration dampening solution is to encase the WMP/NK in neoprene-like foam from a gyro box and put it inside a plastic case from an Atmel IC! This has given the best results for me so far, but I sure it could be improved further.

Based on Joels contributions I have ordered samples of different gel-type dampening materials that I will test further! But I havent yet had time to sit down a compile a version of the GUI with the sensor amplification so that I can judge the different solutions.

I am also a bit starting to think that ADXL335 might be a good idea after all, for two main reasons:

It is proven to be less succeptible to vibrations, and have been used succesfully on other quads!

It probably also means that we could loose the 3ms wait between WMP and NK data, and thus speed up the loop and make it more stable....(which would be very nice)

The downside is the analog connections and the need for max 3.6V supply... (that could probably be fixed with some diodes or shield with 3.3v regulator) and of course the the extra money compared to dirt-cheap clone NK (Actually its not too bad compared to a genuine NK)

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9269

But as usual I am just babbling and I still dont have the programming skills to back any of this up....consider this an idea from someone who knows jack st about programming!

One thing I know for sure: Alex, you should post a "donate" button on the MW page.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
ESC Ground Loops?

I notice that the 3 BEC's of the ESC's are ganged together in parallel. Isn't this a case for ground loops, per the ESC manufacturers? It may 'work' but not be 'preferred'. Maybe there is internal isolation but I thought this was discouraged. I'm only using one of the positive lines to power my flight board.

Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:37 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
Could this also be used instead of the nun-chuck when found to be problematic? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9269 (Triple Axis Accelerometer Breakout - ADXL335)
Yes, I realize we're not hacking into a nun-chuck, but we don't want crashing tricopters, either. Reliability is key for me.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
What about: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9652

I might have missed it somewhere, but what accelerometer does the nun-chuck use? Just out of idle curiosity.
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:51 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Its an ST LIS3L02AL

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...e/ds/11668.pdf

Genuine Wiimote uses ADXL330 and ADXL335 in newer versions, AFAIK...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Its an ST LIS3L02AL

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...e/ds/11668.pdf

Genuine Wiimote uses ADXL330 and ADXL335 in newer versions, AFAIK...
Is it naive of me to think I could simply substitute the ADXL335 for the nun-chuck?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:59 PM
Flightless crawler
Poland
Joined Apr 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eekflyer View Post
I notice that the 3 BEC's of the ESC's are ganged together in parallel. Isn't this a case for ground loops, per the ESC manufacturers? It may 'work' but not be 'preferred'. Maybe there is internal isolation but I thought this was discouraged. I'm only using one of the positive lines to power my flight board.
@Eekflyer,
Regarding parallel work of BEC's, look at Logiq's remarks in the 1/3 of this thread. It is better to use only one of them.
Best regards,
Kuba
kuba_em is offline Find More Posts by kuba_em
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
what is the story on this board?

http://shop.moderndevice.com/product...-accelerometer

are people using it? easy to use?

thank you.

or this one
http://toysdownunder.com/triple-axis...t-mma7361.html
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Oct 26, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:41 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post

Quote:
3-Axis Accelerometer sensor will operate between 2.2 and 6 volts
I like this and at this price, I will take the gamble. Thanks for the link.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
I like this and at this price, I will take the gamble. Thanks for the link.
well.....lol ...dang,,,,,I guess you will have to tell us if you get it working...

with pictures and diagrams please

I woud have no clue how to connect it up to an Arduino Nano 3.0 ATMEGA328

can anyone help on this?
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Oct 26, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:32 PM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post

thank you.

or this one
http://toysdownunder.com/triple-axis...t-mma7361.html
Wonder how this would hookup and work....
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member