SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
Fournier RF4D N1771 Awesome!
Riverside, CA
Joined Nov 2004
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Thanks. Looks like it just me trying to figure out the right numbers for my kind flying. (non aggressive)!
Actionplus,

Seems you and I are having the same symptoms.

I have a new Quad, 18" motor to motor, using a clone WMP+ so I could get it to run at 400hz and a BMA020 ACC.

I do a small hop and it wants to slide in every direction and the throttle is sensitive at liftoff so it climbs to 3' or stays on the ground with not much in between.

I have been playing with P I & D's and it takes a lot of experimenting to get it to do what you want. Almost counter intuitive it seems.

I had P's from 0.2 to 5 and it seems there might be a sweet spot around 2.3.

I think I need to get it outside so I can have more room to sort things out.

And turning on stable mode while touching the ground seems to be a problem as it really just wants to flip.

I find the quickest way to initially tune is to hold the quad in your hand while attached to the GUI and experiment with the P I and D settings to get somewhat close with the responsiveness, speed and accuracy of leveling.

It is going to take a fair amount of experimenting with the settings to get a good stable flight and then you will need to do it again for Stable mode.

I just wish the GUI had the stable mode trim settings so you can just click on the gui to change them.

Ray
jb92563 is offline Find More Posts by jb92563
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 03:52 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,101 Posts
PID for Gaui

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Actionplus,

Seems you and I are having the same symptoms.

I have a new Quad, 18" motor to motor, using a clone WMP+ so I could get it to run at 400hz and a BMA020 ACC.

I do a small hop and it wants to slide in every direction and the throttle is sensitive at liftoff so it climbs to 3' or stays on the ground with not much in between.

I have been playing with P I & D's and it takes a lot of experimenting to get it to do what you want. Almost counter intuitive it seems.

I had P's from 0.2 to 5 and it seems there might be a sweet spot around 2.3.

I think I need to get it outside so I can have more room to sort things out.

And turning on stable mode while touching the ground seems to be a problem as it really just wants to flip.

I find the quickest way to initially tune is to hold the quad in your hand while attached to the GUI and experiment with the P I and D settings to get somewhat close with the responsiveness, speed and accuracy of leveling.

It is going to take a fair amount of experimenting with the settings to get a good stable flight and then you will need to do it again for Stable mode.

I just wish the GUI had the stable mode trim settings so you can just click on the gui to change them.

Ray

I actually had some time outside of my room on Sunday.
Looks like my quad likes the 2.0 range. I was 3.3 and I keep going up to 5 and the feeling was not right at all. Too jumpy.

Went down to 2.5 and then 2.0, it felt muuuuuccchh better. No problem with the yaw. Rudder was too slow for me. So changed that number (forgot what) but now have it turning much faster.

Then, the quad flipped 2 twice. Was wondering what was wrong. Me!!???
Well, come to find out. My board came loose form the tie I had it holding on to the frame(cushioned). So the quad went with the board. Was time to quit and back to the room to get it fixed.

But over all the I got it landing much more softer and at the same spot(+/- 1feet). But if you do land fast, it does jump on you.

I did try the autolevel, but did not trim it as it was too windy by the time I got to it. (staying at Cape Canaveral for a while)
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old May 31, 2011, 04:24 PM
Eduardo
Brasil, RS, Porto Alegre
Joined Aug 2008
461 Posts
too small motor

Hey man ...
this motor is too small for use with 10" prop.

i think you only fly wooble with this motor and 10" prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eosbandi View Post
HI Guys,
I know it is written a hundred times in the thread, but after reading and re reading, I'm still stuck. I built a Quadro, with Arduino mini equivalent self-made board and an original WM+NK combo. Motors are robbe BL2827-34(760Kv/9A) with Gaui 8'' colorfull props. Frame is from Jakub (foldable quad frame). ESC's are PowerHD 12A. It flies OK with this config, but the props are I think too small, it hovers just at a little above 3/4 throttle. So I Changed the props to 10x4.5 (Also from Gaui). I balanced the motors and the props and added dampening to the WM+NK. The problem is that with these new props my quad is not flyable. At P=4 it start oscillating heavily after takeoff. I tried to lower P to 2.8, and it helped the oscillations (not cured, but helped) however it become very unstable. Any ideas how and what to change ?
Thanks,
Andras
agressiva is offline Find More Posts by agressiva
Old May 31, 2011, 04:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Nov 2002
814 Posts
I run Jakubs foldable quad frame using rctimer 2830/14 750kv motors and 10" or 12" props, I think you need bigger motors and possibly biggers esc,s
Gaza07 is offline Find More Posts by Gaza07
Old May 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaza07 View Post
I run Jakubs foldable quad frame using rctimer 2830/14 750kv motors and 10" or 12" props, I think you need bigger motors and possibly biggers esc,s
Well, It seems my credit card have to take another hit. (Takeaway: Do not trust your local modell shop's clerk...., go to rcgroups and you can spare money.)

Thanks guys !
eosbandi is offline Find More Posts by eosbandi
Old May 31, 2011, 08:45 PM
Toronto, On.
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Anybody using this esc ( H-KING 10A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller ) for Quad w/ 2000kv 10gr. motor
tgasttko is offline Find More Posts by tgasttko
Old May 31, 2011, 09:49 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
I have used these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4204
and these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4318

with the 10g 18-11 motors. Both work great, and the 6A ESCs will handle 3S just fine. They barely get warm after 10-13 minutes with 5030 props.
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old May 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,101 Posts
Blog

Just created a new blog for my Gaui 330x with MultiWiiCopter Quad X. Thought I would post what I have built so far.
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old May 31, 2011, 10:52 PM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosbandi View Post
HI Guys,
I know it is written a hundred times in the thread, but after reading and re reading, I'm still stuck. I built a Quadro, with Arduino mini equivalent self-made board and an original WM+NK combo. Motors are robbe BL2827-34(760Kv/9A) with Gaui 8'' colorfull props. Frame is from Jakub (foldable quad frame). ESC's are PowerHD 12A. It flies OK with this config, but the props are I think too small, it hovers just at a little above 3/4 throttle. So I Changed the props to 10x4.5 (Also from Gaui). I balanced the motors and the props and added dampening to the WM+NK. The problem is that with these new props my quad is not flyable. At P=4 it start oscillating heavily after takeoff. I tried to lower P to 2.8, and it helped the oscillations (not cured, but helped) however it become very unstable. Any ideas how and what to change ?
Thanks,
Andras
When you're tuning, make sure you're not in auto-level mode and make sure you fly out of ground effect, too. Usually a meter will do. You'll hear when you're out of it.

When you change your power system so dramatically, it's best to revert to default settings.

Try moving D farther away from 0. This will weaken the intensity of P, which may help it cope with over correcting. You may still need to lower P a bit, but like you said, 2.8 is a bit too much.

spag
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Old May 31, 2011, 11:02 PM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
An Odd, Jerky Tri Servo

Hey folks here's an odd one...

I have a MWC Tri that flies perfectly if I power the board & the yaw servo via the same BEC, which is part of one of the ESC's.

If I power the yaw servo from its own BEC/ESC, it twitches a lot during flight and makes the craft mostly unflyable. The twitching doesn't happen when it's armed (motors off via uncommented motorstop line in code), or when I move the copter around in hand so the servo works to compensate the motion via the yaw gyro's sensing.

I thought perhaps that single signal line running up to the pin on the board was picking up interference from something so I added a ferrite choke to the base of the yaw servo line, but that didn't change anything.

Why would a yaw servo having its own BEC make it twitch considerably?

Thanks!
spag
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Old May 31, 2011, 11:27 PM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
would it be possible to put a couple cosmetic led lights in series somewhere in a wmp circuit so that there would be some light up effects in my shield enclosure?
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old May 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
THE ЯUSSIANS ARE COMING!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post

I have a MWC Tri that flies perfectly if I power the board & the yaw servo via the same BEC, which is part of one of the ESC's.

If I power the yaw servo from its own BEC/ESC, it twitches a lot during flight and makes the craft mostly unflyable. The twitching doesn't happen when it's armed (motors off via uncommented motorstop line in code), or when I move the copter around in hand so the servo works to compensate the motion via the yaw gyro's sensing.

I thought perhaps that single signal line running up to the pin on the board was picking up interference from something so I added a ferrite choke to the base of the yaw servo line, but that didn't change anything.

Thanks!
spag
I don't know, but in the case of your dedicated BEC for the tail servo, from where does it draw its power? An un-interupted wire straight back to the distribution board/battery, or is it sharing a power lead with another component? I don't know that it would make a difference, but just something I thought of.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:29 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post

Thanks!
spag
I power my tri using all the 3 BECs from the 3 ESCs. one powers the board, the other powers the servo and the third powers the retractable landing gear servo.
I had the same problem as you I think. I solved it by connecting all the ground lines from the all the BECs. In my case the servo would go completely to one side as soon as became close to hovering. with motors stopped it worked as it should.. here's a video showing it.
I hope helps,

Joćo

Tri-wii Problem with Yaw (0 min 58 sec)
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:35 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,391 Posts
This is what I did.. As you can see in the picture all the ground lines from the BECs are connected. The picture doesn't show but the middle ESC is powering the retracts servo.

Joćo
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Hi,

Do the HK SS ESC's work alright? I've seen some mixed responses..

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramida View Post
If you want a brand new HobbyKing HK SS esc controller 18-20A with 12% discount, use this link within 14 days:

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...6-2F4B8011BEB4

Also a brand new 5000mA Zippy 40C 3S with 5% discount:

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...F-4D5D20810875
sm3rt is offline Find More Posts by sm3rt