SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:59 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,327 Posts
Discussion
Are there any micro's not made of foam?

I was just wondering if there was a company that produced any micro/smaller models that are not made of foam like everything seems to be made of these days. I'm not complaining about the foam (definitely a lot cheaper and forgiving), I guess I just remember back when I was learning to fly at age 12, everything was balsa based and had beauty to it, while all of the foam airplanes look like toys to me now. I know that they aren't and are nice hobby style planes, I am just an aesthetics guy.
I just got back into the hobby with a HZ Champ and I'm loving flying it. It's an absolute blast! However once I'm fully confident with it, I would love nothing more than to have one like it that has a more realistic appearance up close than all of the foam construction with the foam "warts" all over it.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:23 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Almost any small rubber powered balsa plane can be adapted to RC with this nifty gear.

The AR6400, as used in the P-51, Sukhoi and 4Site can be used if you want to have ailerons and the gear in the Champ, Cub, Vapor and one other whose name escapes me at the moment can be used if you want rudder, elevator and throttle.

Since the rx's map the rudder onto either the left stick for aileron ships or the right stick for rudder, elevator control you have to think about which rx you use.

Peter Rake, who posts mostly in the Electric Scale forum has designed several small planes around this gear. Personally, I hope to get some old Walt Mooney models flying with this stuff. I built a few more than forty years ago and now I'd like to build them again, but with electric RC in them.

If you have no plans to actually build there is someone, I think in France, who makes ready to fly peanut scale planes with actuator driven control surfaces. They are about $400.00 each! Thayer Sime (sp?) reviewed one very positively in Fly RC, but 400.00 bucks will buy a lot of foam airplanes!

I agree that balsa looks better than foam, but I still love the way my cub sails by at eye level and survives lots of "crashes" into our grass flying field. Don't forget how rugged these things are when not flown on a hard surface. I'm not sure if a balsa model could do as well.

I am days away from retiring and I think I will finally get around to building some of my daydreams.

Edit: If you plan to have several of these planes you really should get a DX6i transmitter, which is programable, can use expo and dual rates and can remember ten models. I've got five or six programmed into mine and it makes life very simple when flying ships like the Sukhoi and P-51. I've got tons of throw on my Cub, but between expo and dual rates it is not hard to fly. The advantage is that I can do a pretty good roll with the Cub (not every try) and I don't know anyone else who can.

I think the first Walt Mooney plane that I build will be the GY20 Minicab. Here is a picture of one of the two that I built over forty years ago.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Jun 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:26 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,995 Posts
great MICRO item/flyer with METAL structure ....!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259599
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
I was just wondering if there was a company that produced any micro/smaller models that are not made of foam like everything seems to be made of these days. I'm not complaining about the foam (definitely a lot cheaper and forgiving), I guess I just remember back when I was learning to fly at age 12, everything was balsa based and had beauty to it, while all of the foam airplanes look like toys to me now. I know that they aren't and are nice hobby style planes, I am just an aesthetics guy.
I just got back into the hobby with a HZ Champ and I'm loving flying it. It's an absolute blast! However once I'm fully confident with it, I would love nothing more than to have one like it that has a more realistic appearance up close than all of the foam construction with the foam "warts" all over it.
Only in kit form. As in "lay out plans and glue your fingers together assembling die or laser-cut bits of balsa."

Something like this, which is a 24" wingspan Guillows free-flight kit. Or a Dumas 30" wingspan kit. These aren't quite 'micro,' and have to be modified to work with R/C.

If you're looking for true micros that would work with the AR6400 and Champ receivers, you could try converting so-called "walnut-scale" planes like:

This Dumas J-4E, a Dumas Citabria, or this slightly larger Guillows L-19 Bird Dog kit. Again, modifications must be made from the plans to make these kits work with R/C.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,327 Posts
Thanks guys for the info so far. I guess I'm not necessarily looking for super small. Just something that I can still throw in the back of the car and take across the street to the park. Maybe like 36" or less. I guess I just need to do lot's of research before looking more into this, since I'm so confused about all of the receivers, servos, controller modules etc.
I see that nitroplanes has a couple of "smaller" balsa based planes like a 30" bi-plane.
I don't plan to jump into it this week or anything, I was just wondering what options are available out there for a more realistic/scale looking plane.

@Pete, I actually have a dx6i on the way so I'm excited about being able to use it as I get into more skilled planes.

@xlcrlee, thanks for the info on the helicopter, but I've already got some higher end helicopters and have no need for something like that. I'm getting back to my first love of planes and putting helicopters on the back burner for now.

@Jimmy thanks for all the links.

By the way when I was 12 it was 1993, so I'm not talking about the way old planes that use tissue or anything. Just planes that are for the most part easily assembled other than just adding your own components. basically something like this:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1721025..._2110_18974464

Just in a smaller size (This is balsa based with 63" wingspan)

Also I like the looks of the fiberglass planes as well:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-17210252890263_2107_0

Both of the planes are cheap on nitroplanes. Just need servos and receivers

Once again this is a larger style plane. I'm just wondering why it seems like no one is producing a smaller scale of any of these planes in balsa or fiberglass. Not super micro, just smaller scale.
Last edited by jlcamp7; Jun 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
E-flite has some interesting stuff.

Here is one that you'll probably like. It's small, mostly balsa and mostly built.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL5025

They also have a built-up Sukhoi arf that is probably a bit hot for you, but worth a look.

If you want to try building small and mid sized RC planes here are four top flight sources for kits or short kits. (a short kit has all the parts, but no long pieces or sheets of balsa. almost always laser cut stuff that takes a lot of the work out of building.)

http://www.stevensaero.com/

http://www.patscustom-models.com/

http://www.manzanolaser.com/

http://www.mountainmodels.com/

E-flight has lots of stuff, beside the two mentioned.

Pete
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
snɹɹıɔoʇl∀
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Dec 2005
397 Posts
Falcon Models do some very nice balsa kits designed for micro RC.
Altocirrus is offline Find More Posts by Altocirrus
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:39 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,100 Posts
Microinvent has quite a few.

Peanuts:
http://www.microinvent.com/mambo/ind...d=18&Itemid=37
and a Pistachio:
http://www.microinvent.com/mambo/ind...d=19&Itemid=38

But the price puts them pretty far out of reach for most!

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:23 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
670 Posts
Pistachio Jungmeister
- 11gram at 8inch wingspan!
$1000!!

Do people really fly this? or put it on their shelves to admire the craftsmanship?
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:54 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
This is the Kit I'm waiting for from Jarel Designs...It's not foam.

It would be very hard to make a balsa plane this small look this good.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:12 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post

It would be very hard to make a balsa plane this small look this good.
Very pretty. The rivets aren't quite scale but I can accept that in something this small.

If not foam, what is it? And when is it!

I found Jarel but I didn't see this or anything else that was scale. Very interesting prototypes and stuff like that though.

Edit: Hmm... Vacuform? That would explain the rivets. If so, how tough is it compared to the Horizon Hobbies foamies, which will last forever if you fly on grass. (or at least until the motor burns out)

Pete
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
Pistachio Jungmeister
- 11gram at 8inch wingspan!
$1000!!

Do people really fly this? or put it on their shelves to admire the craftsmanship?
Hey,

I fly mine every chance I get

This is the Peanut scale Nieuport 11. I added the windscreen. the rest is "factory stock".
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,327 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. I had been looking at some of the e-flite stuff. I also had ran across the microinvent website, but holy cow those prices are unbelievable! Definitely not in my budget.

@UNGN Where did you find those pics and where can we find information. That's a beautiful plane and I would love to eventually get my hands on one or at least find out more info on it.

@Tim, that's a really nice Nieuport. I would love to see a video of it flying.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:19 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Could you be so kind as to post a link to where one could find this? I've searched and found Jarel Design but find no such kit there.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Hey,

I fly mine every chance I get

This is the Peanut scale Nieuport 11. I added the windscreen. the rest is "factory stock".
I remember your Nieuport 11 flying beautifully at Kief, but you paid only $300

I have 8inch wingspan, 5.5gram 3ch tigermoth built from Chris Oreiley's plan. It occasionally crash into something like metal post or wall because of gust. But on every crashes, there is no damage at all.
I am not sure if I will have much fun flying $1000 balsa plane that weighs twice more than my foam plane.

See you at Kief in October.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing