HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:51 AM
Joined Mar 2008
516 Posts
Build Log
CC Lee Rubber Powered Cessna 128 RC Convertion

I have always preferred my kyosho minium cessna centurion over my minium Citabria . I found it more agile faster and it seemed to penetrate the wind better than the Citabria . I have built one micro model from scratch and moded two ,one being the parkzone sukhoi the only RTF model i had that needed a hell of a lot of modification just to get it to fly !! .
Iv been thinking about getting the HobbyZone Champ but it looks a bit slow to me . So i have been thinking of buildind a bigger Cessna 210 Centurion type airplane.

I have seen this on the net many times priced 4.99 so i went ahead and purchased it. I have sent off for the Parkzone Mustang motor an gearbox prop and spiner to .

Wing span is 470mm 18.5 in compaired to the champ that is 517mm 22.4 in
and bigger than the Minium Cessna 210 Centurion at 380mm 15 in .

By the way i will be using the Vapour / Ember brick green dot i have spair.

So what do you think ? will it be a good perfomer with this setup..

Time to open the box and have a look at this chunk of foam !
richos is online now Find More Posts by richos
Last edited by richos; Jun 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:31 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,460 Posts
I used that motor/gear set in one of the Spitfires in the same range as your Cessna with a Citabria brick and it was more power than I needed.

I've not seen one of the Cessnas in the flesh but after I'd cut the fuse along the join lines to fit the gear I'd remove a lot of foam from some areas. Places I remember taking foam from are: around the motor peg, the centre section on the fuse where the wing seats, where the tail plane seats and behind the firewall. As I remember my 3ch RC version with ailerons and a brushed on paint scheme weighed less than the bare plane with rubber motor etc did.

Oh, and look out for the huge ball-bearing in the nose, that can come out.

Where did you get yours from? I've found www.galaxymodels.co.uk to be the cheapest - the larger electric planes, which are the same as the Cox/Gravity ones, are 11.50 inc. P&P.

I just remembered that the wings on my Spit were different sizes, this is to make the plane circle in free flight. I don't know if yours will be the same but try putting them underside to underside and trim the larger one to fit the smaller if they are different.

Looking forwards to seeing your progress, any thoughts on the colour scheme yet?
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
With brick, servo and motor its going to be at the upper end of weight the vapor brick will do for a motor through it brushed ESC.

Since the Green dot ESC isn't brushless capable through the ESC, this would be a good conversion for 2S with a 5g brushless, running the ESC off a throttle to channel 5 TX mix on the green dot (w/ only signal wire soldered to the brick) and powering the brick through the BEC of the brushless ESC with a diode inline in the Positive wire.

This size plane will fly great with the 5g brushless and a 2S 200-300 mAh battery.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:09 AM
Joined Mar 2008
516 Posts
Thanks Wildweasel i got the model from Galaxymodels as you once suggested to me in a previous post, and the fuselage is heavy so you could be right about the ball bearing . The wings are the same size .
Most weekends i see a cessna on the Lulsgate flightpath and sume times heading towards filton aiming for the Brabazon runway it has a nice blue colour scheme .
Will be putting her under the knife tomorrow cutting along the join lines an getting rid of all the plastic and rubber .
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:31 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,460 Posts
You'll be pleased with how much weight you can strip if it's anything like my Spitty.

I've not done this myself but I will next time I split a foam fuse. I saw a post recently where the guy stripped a blade from a dsposable razor, snapped the tip off at an angle and mounted it to a piece of scrap wood for a handle. As he pointed out the blade is much thinner so it won't crush the foam nearly as badly. If the wings are the same size then I'd check the tail fin, it might be cambered to one side or off-set to cause a turn, or you may find one wing has more dihedral than the other. Not sure if you know much about free-flight but the planes are typically trimmed so they turn left under power and then right when gliding (think that's the right way round..) so they don't fly off and land relatively closely to where they were launched. If you fancy building a larger Cessna from plans and balsa this one would be a good conversion. Have a look around the site, there's some good subjects. http://www.theplanpage.com/esp/195.htm

My Spitty would JUST hover on the Mustang motor and a GWS 5025 with a fresh e-flite 150mAh cell when released from my hand but had no power to pull up so I think you'll have plenty of power. These planes are tough at these light weights, my Spitty survived some very nasty nose-ins with no damage and only got damaged when the wind picked up, I got disorientated and put it into a tree. Hitting it with the stick I threw up to knock it down probably didn't help, but even then the only real damage was a gash in the LE of a wing. No reinforcements of any kind either, not even a wing spar.

Are you going RET or will you flatten the wing and use ailerons?
Last edited by thewildweasel; Jun 17, 2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:35 AM
Joined Mar 2008
516 Posts
Time to put the Cessna under the Knife.

Well as i said its time to put the cessna under the knife and remove all that extra weight . I used one of those small snap off craft knifes cutting 100mm at a time then snapping two bits of blade off to keep the blade extra sharp, cuting just before where the fin mets the fuselage .

Now she is open we can see whats inside. Wildweasel !! you were spot on with your assumtion that i would find a ball bearing (can you see it just behind the prop thrust bearing).

Time to remove all that plastic and rubber . One rubber band plastic elevator support and prop thrust bearing and rubber band clip and that pesky ball bearing and some foam and the undercarriage support.

Gosh!! as you can see on the digital scales thats a whopping 6.5 grams

Time to put the stripped fuselage wings and elevators on the scales.
22.4 grams . PROPER JOB! im happy with that i think the Parkzone mustang motor and green dot brick will power it fine with out going for all that fancy brushless and ESC stuff
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:10 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,460 Posts
Looking good. What are you doing for U/C, using what came with the kit or making your own?

Proper job? I thought that was a janner expression?

Bliddy 'andsome.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2008
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel View Post
Looking good. What are you doing for U/C, using what came with the kit or making your own?

Proper job? I thought that was a janner expression?

Bliddy 'andsome.
Im going for a tricycle U/C like the kyosho minium cessna but with spats.
I think TIZ A GRATE-EYED-EEL
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:16 PM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,460 Posts
As long as it's not rough as rats then it'll be cool as beans. If it goes wrong though I bet you'll be mad as a jasper.

Sorry, been in the Fort on the plain drinking Manglehead, and it's lived up to its description. The couple of pints of Cornish Knocker beforehand didn't help either.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:04 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Did you finish the build, Richos?

I've had one of these for a while and have been thinking of converting it with a Vapor brick too. I might even go brushless.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:31 AM
Joined Mar 2008
516 Posts
Had a few problems with my pz 4site motor, when i received it i took it to work and put it on a power pack gave it 4v and 2amps with a mustang prop and it sounded like a bag of nails with out much perfomance . Sent it back and got one that was ok this took a good 3 weeks to turn up .
Then i read in a post that the ember-vapor brick could not handle the hotter pz 4site-mustang motors . I have a kyosho edge 8mm motor . My old kyosho edge was quite a performer for its day with the motor with its 30 gram airfraim so ill use it as the build will be round the 30 to 35 gram mark .

So can anyone confirm what moters the fet on the vapor-ember brick can handle ?